I have a bunch of photos and video of 290m's moving some serious material. 4 units pulling 2 bowls each with 600+ hp series 60 Detroits.The rest are pretty much stock and run so smooth. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics and vids I will get them on. These things are amazing, build like a battle ship. The worked 13 days straight across the road from my home and I only seen one down for cutting edges and some other miner stuff. I was a blast watching those double bowls run about 35mph loaded for about a mile and listing to the exhaust brake kick in when they made there turn and slowed down. I will post lots of picks soon. Feel free to post pics of 290m's or Cat 830mb's, and any stories about them.
Can't wait to see the pics. What engine did they come with? I've only seen pictures of them, not in action.
This is a neat site, seen it some where else on here a while back Welcome to Clark290M.com and P.A.S.K., LLC Thank you for visiting the P.A.S.K., LLC web site. This site is primarily dedicated to the military Clark-Michigan 290-M, 4-wheel drive, 380-horse power, articulating tractor with tilt dozer blade, in combination with attaching 20-yard scraper bowls. This outstanding tractor was developed and over-designed for the United States military to be used in the Vietnam war. The tractors are constructed for extended use in extreme conditions, and were shipped to military bases around the world during this period. Although simple in design, it is one heck of a tractor that is massively overbuilt. The Clark-Michigan 290-M was able to function and operate without the aid of a computer. From the construction of remote landing strips, clearing roads of land mines, building jungle bunkers, mountain camps or just in the construction of highways, the Clark-Michigan proved to be the right choice in equipment to get the job done. Safe, simple and efficient with little maintenance that could be performed in the most remote area or in a more urban complex. Although the Clark-Michigan 290-M tractor is approximately 40 years old, many of the tractors are being refurbished or modified to be put back into service around the world by construction companies. These tractors are modified for farming, mining, pulling water tankers, sheep foot packers, choppers, plows, dump trailers, scrapers and anything that you could dream of. We have one unit that was rebuilt on our yard for the U.S. Army that now is in the Middle East being used to pull the M-1 Abram tanks and other equipment as needed. Watch for photos. And yes, we do have PARTS, both used and new to remanufacture the Clark-Michigan 290-M. Call
Was going to get some more close ups of these machines, but it is snowing and really muddy back where they are parked. There is a older Terex push cat there with a little extra iron under the hood. Hardly makes it grunt push loading. I try to get some pics of it soon because the are nearly done with this job. Let met try to post some pics
If I figure out this resize photo thing you guys are going to get bombarded with pic's. Then I will have to figure out the video thing. Been a member since 08 and just learning how to post. Neck surgery, Blown out neck, now I have some time.
Got it now
I have lots more, will post more later.
This 290m must be getting close to a rebuild, smokes alot and got demoted to the sheeps foot
Front shots of the dozer. Sure could use this in traffic some times.
Anybody have a broshure or larger pic like this. I have a Flow waterjet and High Def plasma table that are just itching to cut out some of these. Got to get my yard art construction company of to a good start.
Is that a michigan 175b/c or 250 loader just reversed and a few different panels on it? It looks fairly similar..
those are cool pictures, i wonder how many yards each of those scrapers hold? look like same size as a 631.
Here are some I found while searching 290m pics.
More of the same machines
Farmer Alex: Basically this is a Clark 280 rubber tired dozer power train in a different frame. The dozer had the engine in the rear frame and dozer blade on the front frame. The dozer had an 8 speed transmission where the 275 loader had 4 speeds.
Ductmaster nice pics. A guy near me has just the tractor he uses for plowing snow. he made up a 20 foot box for it. It can move snow.
I like them. Wish I could see them in action up close.
I'll try too post some video on here tomorrow. Search 290m on youtube, I posted some videos of the double pan units that are in the first pics I posted.
I have to say the doubles are impressive I owned a couple of 290m's I always thought about putting two pans together but never had the balls to do it. They are tough machines but the only problem I ever had with my machines was that stupid Fiber Ring it was a pain in my a**! Does anyone know who this contractor is? I now run the Rite tractor with miskin pans, it is a clark 290m updated with duals, bigger engine and cab, but miss having my 290m's they were great machines.
Heres my Rite 470, maybe?
The companys name is Guthmiller Earthmoving Inc Medina North Dakota
Is that the same outfit that was working on 94 a couple years ago? If I recall correctly, they also had a couple Clark 275 loaders with duals on the front that they were using on the project, loading the broken up concrete from the highway. Might be a different company that I'm thinking of, but they had a whole fleet of 290m's out there working on I94.
ThhThat would be them, Guthmiller Earthmoving. About 4 years ago they did some projects in Bismarck ND. They had about 10 290ms,2 CMI motor graders and those 2 Clark 275 Loaders. They just finished moving a large amount of fill from behind the north Wal-Mart about a week ago. That is where I got the double bowl pic and the vids I posted on youtube under Clark 290m. I have more vids to post , just not have time. They had 4 double bowl 290s with 60 series Detroits with jakebrakes. 4 290 single bowl, 1 290 pusher with blade and ripper and 1 290 pulling a box blade and sheeps foot. They have hauled away everything execpt the double units. Sure miss the smell of burnt diesl and the sound of those exhaust brakes in the morning.
Talking to one of the dirt bosses there, he thought they had about 30 to 40 290m's that where running. He says the 290s are not new and shinny but run cheep and if the motor takes a dump they just stuff a series 60 Detroit in it and get back at it. If you have seen a 290 up close there is not much too brake because they are built better then a tank.
I found my stash of 290m photos
Some of these may be repeats, so bear with me
whats the story on the doubles whats the haul distance
These were taken from my tablet from a ways away, but you can get an idea of the operation
Now for some of the tracked 290m I have been trying to track down. Taken on Labor Day 2014
It is getting there, they have not had time to work on it for a while, but its getting close.
Clintm The hauls were 1/4 to just about a mile at the longest. Most of it was 1/2 mile. I have a few videos on youtube of the doubles. I have some more I will post on youtube and put links on here. These Doubles haul the mail and move a lot of dirt. Don't know if there faster than ag tractors with pans, but sure look like they load and move a lot faster. Be fun to see them side by side. I know they will last a lot longer no plastic on these babies. Most likely out last a bunch of operators too. Wish I would have taken more videos when they were around. Have not had much time to road trip 100 + miles to get more video.
thank's
Hey Ductmaster, that tracked monster sits in the Cleveland yard I believe? I snooped around in there about 10 yrs ago, looked just like that then.
Any chance you have some pics of building the bypass in Jamestown back in '02? That was one hell of a dirt move.
Looks like someone put his up online for sale @ 50K asking price.
there was one that just sold about a month ago at the local city auction that had been setting at the airport for years i think it only brought about $4,000 it was still green.
Operated these Clark 290M machines in Army Engineers in west Germany 1972-74.
There are two Clark 290s push tractors for sale on auctiontime.com closing this Wednesday. There was no bids yet yesterday. Both municipal units. Look under construction equipment and pick Wednesdays auction date.