Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark 45C alternator wiring

Texkon ยท 2025-12-28 13:45

Hello fellas, I've got a 1980 45C with the Perkins 6 cylinder naturally aspirated engine. I replaced my alternator since the old one was looking pretty crusty n hasn't charged for a couple years (I barely use this thing). There is one 4 gauge cable that runs direct off the big post to the + battery post n thats it. Should there be another wire hooked up somewhere? It still doesnt look like its charging on the gauge.

Replies4
  1. #1steve wherley2025-12-29 08:55

    Is it a Delco or a Motorola ???

  2. #2Texkon2025-12-29 14:40

    I believe its a delco, Im not 100% sure on the make of the current one since I bought it on ebay

  3. #3AllDodge2025-12-29 15:02

    Put a voltmeter on the post before you start the motor and then measure again after it's started and reved up above 1500 rpm at least once. Return to idle to measure Should read battery voltage before stating and should be around 14V when running Post pic of back of ALT

  4. #4steve wherley2025-12-29 19:46

    look for about voltage rise then running and if is one wire delco must rev up engine too energize