I have a 82 c500-40 that had no brakes (hard pedal just would not stop). I have removed axle ends discovered seized wheel cylinders. Rebuilding entire brake system to include new master and inching cylinder. While in there I'm going to change the seals on the diff. I've read this can be tricky. Question: Is this straight forward or are there things I should be looking at or avoiding? Any tricks of the trade I could utilize?
Completed them this weekend. Pretty straight forward the carrier came right out on one side, the other I had to fight with it a little. The drive gear seal, the rubber had separated from the metal housing so it was just flopping around in there. The seals are little tricky to seat because you have to tap them in with the open side up. On the old seals they had a solid surface on both sides, but the new ones were like a normal oil seal. Flat surface on one side and open on the other. You have to use some type of flat object (I used a big flat washer and a big socket) so you don't damage the backside of the seal.