Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie z45/22 no drive

farmuel ยท 2014-08-20 00:04

Hi guys: Sure hope someone can help - i live 1.5 hours from a tech they want $95 per hour going to cost me a bundle. I already had one tech out he left after an hour and the machine was in the same state as when he came - The machine is a genie z45/22 I bought it at an auction about 8 years ago for 4k and used it to build my house and barn - well both of those now need repairs (the fun never stops). I replaced all the batts on the machine this year and one 36 volt motor several years ago Problem One The steering was not working. The pump is whirling and you can see the hoses move but the steering would just budge an inch or two and that would be it. I checked all the voltages (at the valve and joystick) and they were good. I pulled the priority valve on the proportional manifold - just unscrewed it and put it back in - didnt do a thing initially - i had to leave for a week and today the steering worked for ten minutes then stopped . I pulled the priority valve out and just put it back in and lo and behold - the steering works again . Now whats interesting is when I test for pressure at the hand pump manifold test site port - with all the other boom controls I get 2500 psi - when the steering activates i get 0 - the manual says I should get 2500 ( I have run the cylinders to dead end them and still no pressure registers ?) RIght now the steering does work and I only mention this situation in case it has anything to do with problem two Problem Two Drive does not work. Once again voltages at the valves all seem good . YOu can hear the motor whirl watch the hoses bounce. Overriding the valves manually on the drive manifold does nothing. When I check for pressure at the drive manifold I am only getting 500 in one direction coupled with an occasional change in sound - a low moaning ( I think the hamsters are dying) and zero pressure in the other direction. Tomorrow I will plug the pump and check its pressure but i dont htink its that as you can see the hoses move (maybe not enough pressure? but why 500 in one direction and zero in the other ?) Perhaps I need a new pressure inlet check valve or relief valve? but I would think those would weaken over time and just let more pressure through ? ANy ideas ? Ralphey

Replies2
  1. #1VoodooMojo2014-09-07 15:41

    What is the serial number of this unit?

  2. #2farmuel2014-09-13 12:51

    HI: Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - for whatever reason could not get into this BB serial is 1305 or thereabouts squeezing return lines from the drive manifold gave me slight increase in pressure (100) since that time I replaced the differential sensing valve - did nothing I hooked up a gauge directly to the pump ( ie right at that pump ) plugged the high line ) - but when hooked up like that of course the pump would dead end - so what would happen is the solenoid would kick in for a second then dead end but every time it did that the gauge would spike - so I am thinking the pump may be good well I realized afterward what I should do is make a tee and I will do that tomorrow ( im new at this ) so I can get actual pressures I looked at the hydraulics diagram and thought if I pulled F and D ( forward directional valve and Proportional valve) and "I" which is the forward counter balance valve the fluid would have a straight path to the motor I pulled F and D and plugged them with a cap but still nothing (didnt pull I ) I am pretty lost now - I am thinking of bypassing the supply side of the manifold simply plug it and put the pump directly to drive hydraulic motors Really would appreciate any thoughts and help