Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark C270 torque converter stopped working.

joer00 ยท 2020-10-20 17:38

Hi, I have an old Michigan 55B with a Cummins engine and a C270 torque converter. I rebuild this piece a few years ago and it the TC suddenly stopped spinning. Shortly before the TC gave up I saw oil coming out of the gearbox dipstick. The TC now pushes oil out of the breather (after about 2 minutes from starting it up) ! I took it apart and found nothing real wrong. Shaft and stator where a little pitted so I replaced them to make sure the seals are on 100% surface. I put gauges on. Clutch pressure is 250psi, converted in is ZERO psi and out is about 11 psi. So in should be 80 and out 30-40. Clutch between 240-300. Therefore clutch is ok (pump has about100 hours only). In ZERO I think is the main issue, along with out to low. Any ideas ? Joe

Replies1
  1. #1joer002020-10-27 12:29

    For those who come to this thread. Issue is fixed. Was dirty high pressure filter and very dirty screen in the transmission where TC sucks from. Pressure perfect now and machine runs.