Hi all, new member here, picked up an older running Clark forklift for $2000.00. Serial # C40B-516-688-10-65. Everything seems to function OK, but there is a pretty good leak/drip coming from somewhere. It runs on propane with no issues, a tune up down the road wouldn't hurt. I found a manual from the clark website, it's a little confusing but for the most part I can figure it out. See pics below. I have a few questions, any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks... 1. I found the engine oil dip stick(it reads completely empty-nothing on dip stick). Where do I fill it with new oil? I did see an oil cap towards the radiator, I think that may be it. The manual is shadey at best on this. 2. I think I found the transmission dip stick(it reads completely empty-nothing on dip stick). It's way up front and down low. I think I fill it right in the dip stick hole. 3. Where is the hydraulic oil dip stick? Do I just shove a stick in the tank filling hole and see if it has oil on it? I think the hydraulic tank is on my right side if I'm sitting in the drivers seat. The tank on the other side(my left side, is for gas, correct me if I'm wrong). 4. The manual states the correct oils and fluids to use, but I'd like to here from anyone on the newer more modern oils / fluids to use. 5. The radiator looks to be bone dry also. I'm guessing 50/50 radiator fluid should work in the radiator. 6. Is the oil filter located up high on the gas tank side? Canaster type? 7. Is there anything else I should address before we fire it up and put it to work?
Few more pics...
Few more pics again...
Sorry about the double pics, learning the new forum layout.
1st: Get you a piece of cardboard that will fit the size of the machines wheels. Drive it onto the cardboard. Using a magic marker, mark all 4 wheel positions. If it has not been running, let it run there for 15 minutes, and lift and lower the forks a few times. let it set there overnite or more. Drive it off and examine you cardboard. You will have a pattern of you POWER LEAKS and assorted drip off. Transmission fluid is red, engine oil is black, and hyd oil is usually clear ish or bluish. 2nd: If you have a pressure washer or you can take it to ar car wash while on the trailer. Open the side doors, tilt the seat all way up. Swing out the battery. Wash it down good. Then with it opened up, Take pics down in both sides of engine. We are looking to see (left side sitting on truck) engine oil dipstick, engine oil filler cap (on timing gear cover). On right side (sitting on truck) the hydraulic pump and its hosing. If you are pulling the engine oil dip stick and is is dry (I am assuming you have had it running to load) you have an amazing engine. One that runs without engine oil. Shell, Chevron, Texaco, and all the Mid East t will pay you to destroy it. LOL Nice old truck and in very good overall condition -tires-sheet metal-DOG all straight.
I'm going to put some 10W-30 oil in the engine (at least up to the low end of the dip stick) before I start it. I'll also put some transmission fluid AQ-ATF in the transmission dip stick hole(I think that's where I fill it) to where it's at least on the dip stick. Also top off the radiator with 50/50 antifreeze. I'll take more pics of engine later today and post them. Thanks for the help.
Use straight 30 W oil in engine. (It will be a F 162 or F-163 Continental.) Use Dexron or Dexron II in the transmission. Use AW 32 hydraulic oil. Email me at: [email protected] . Cannot believe you have no trace of fluids on these dipsticks. You may be putting the wrong fluid in the wrong hole. Just running and moving 5 minutes would stir/slosh up to indicate some. Patience... Patience.. The pics.
Got your pics. All good. Drafting a reply to your email. RJ