I have a Clark C300 forklift and it was leaking hydraulic oil into the engine, i was lifting something up when all the hydraulics stoped working. I checked the return line and it was empty. I am wondering if the pump cannot suck the oil since the reservoir is lower than the pump. Anyone have any ideia of what is happening or how can i make the oil get to the pump. Regards, Felipe
If the pump is gear driven off the engine, then most likely the pump shaft seal is shot, which is why you were leaking hydraulic oil into the engine. It is also why when you got low enough on hydraulic oil, the pump started sucking air around the shaft seal and lost it's prime. Just a suggestion to check.
Exact same thoughts I had, hyd pump is mounted to engine and driven by timing gears. Pump is shot, seal has now failed from bad pump and is dumping hyd oil into the engine crankcase.
I guess thats the first thing i will do, remove the pump and check all the seals. Change all the hydraulic fluid and see if the pump can suck the oil, because now its just full of air.