Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark Michigan 210

seatwarmer ยท 2013-03-13 10:50

Who operated Clark Michigan 210's ? And yes I have never operated any type of scrapers, just CAT D8Ks and D6Cs.

Replies32
  1. #1bigrus2013-04-17 08:38

    210 Michigans Did in the early '80's. Walker beam suspension, Hancock bowl, 300 hp straight 6 turbo Cummins but only a little cabin. Powershift with lock up transmission that could give some grief but overall, better than equivilent feline brand of scrapers

  2. #2seatwarmer2013-04-17 09:59

    Thank you Russ The 4 i'm interested in is 210s not 210H's. But I supposed the suspension should be the same.

  3. #3bigrus2013-04-17 15:08

    210h Where I've worked, elevator models were all the rage before laser bucket and 4wd tractor combinations became the norm for broad acre land levelling, that was when lasers where in their infancy in the early '80s This actual machine was one I used to operate back then. Some on here suggest, it should dissolve back into the tar pits with all the other dinosaus I'd say the tractor would be the same as the open bowl models. In the factory, back then, I've been told if the machine turned right it became a terrex, turn left it was a michigan/clark. The elevator models took a bit more skill to operate, not just dig and dump

  4. #4seatwarmer2013-04-18 06:10

    Maybe we should ask Terexkerry opinion on the left and right turns at the factory Its interesting that there is very little information on Michigan/clark on the internet. The owners of the 4 Michigan 210's reckon theirs are the only ones in South Africa and when they bought them in the 70's they were cheaper than the felines and green lizards.

  5. #5seatwarmer2013-04-18 06:19

    Maybe we should ask Terexkerry opinion on the left and right turns at the factory Its interesting that there is very little information on Michigan/clark on the internet. The owners of the 4 Michigan 210's reckon theirs are the only ones in South Africa and when they bought them in the 70's they were cheaper than the felines and green lizards.

  6. #6bigrus2013-04-18 06:49

    More Clark/Michigans from Australia Another pic from the archives, about 1980. Your 210's look like they're GM powered by the look of it. The little brother of the 210H, the 110-15B had 6V71 and an 8 speed lock up tranny. Very good for land levelling, pre laser days too.

  7. #7seatwarmer2013-04-18 08:32

    Russ is that you in the photo ? a good operator is better than all the technology :drinkup

  8. #8bigrus2013-04-18 16:16

    I'm here, but in that picture no, I took it and was up on the service trailer

  9. #9seatwarmer2013-04-19 11:09

    On a Wabco ? Which do you prefer ? Wabco or Clark/Terex ?

  10. #10bigrus2013-04-22 09:18

    Must like the Wabco as I own one g 50 Well, I was after a 110-11B Michigan/Clark but couldn't find one at a realistic price back in '05 but found the 101F (travelling sh!thouse) with a cactus elevator drive for what I thought was reasonable $$ then, against what the dealers were asking. Both Wabco and Michigan have hancock bowls but the michigan has a better elevator drive. A clark loader diff with a hydraulic drive in the centre of elevator frame. So much power, clods of dirt could hit the back window of the cab while loading. We knew them as "the angry ants" back in their day. Both had mongrel oil leaking 504 cummins engines which were their downfall. I repowered the 101 with a C series, half the fuel consumption better torque and a few more hp but not as fast on the haul but who hauls long distance with only 11yd3 on board. 2250 max rpm against 2700 max of the 504. A KAB suspension seat from a Case magnum tractor gives a much improved ride. As far as terrex goes, only ever saw one 23yd3 elevator out here in the 80's. All our levelling work was done with elevators or as the USA boys refer to them as paddle wheelers, before laser bucket (pans) drawn by Steiger 4wd tractors predominated the scene.

  11. #11Stick Pro2013-04-22 23:59

    I have a Hancock michigan 110-15 I bought a year ago for scrap prices, it has the 6v71 sure does sound good when she is screaming. One of the smoothes scrapers I own, but I am comparing it to our two 613s I have. Next week we have a big job I will snap some pics of her in action.

  12. #12bigrus2013-04-23 06:06

    What's the last two digits on the id plate behind the cab? The 110-15B's in the previous pic were two of a consecutive order of 8 from the factory, delivered early 1980 through Morgan equipment Qld. The last numbers on the id plate ran from 37 to 44. The last on had its cab damaged whilst unloading on the wharf so ran without a cab for a few months. Although a bit warm out in the open it was the only one with a Bostrom "norseman seat". These machines had suspension, copied by C@t on their 615's some years later. The 15's were brilliant mid capacity elevating scrapers in their day. Suspension adjustment was done by loosening nut around a cap head screw on the inner left mudguard, screw it in till the suspension topped out, then back off the caphead screw to drop the suspension 1" then lock up the nut. They rode as well as cushion hitch.

  13. #13Stick Pro2013-04-23 23:30

    We will be working her next week it is on the job waiting for us to move some dirt with her, I will look at the I'd plate for you, and let you know. For a 15. Yard scraper this thing is a beast, long as you have two pairs of ear plugs, that Detroit sure is a screamer.

  14. #14bigrus2013-04-24 06:47

    Early or late 110-15 ? Yours would probably be the earlier model, before the B. The B's had a beefed up elevator frame, made of square section steel whereas the older model had a pipe style frame and lighter duty flights. The older model needed gussets under curved section of the hitch/draft arm too. The B's had them as an update. Also there was a cabin support bar, across the rear, that rattled on both models. Some people removed them but it's an integral part of the structure. The cab wasn't a true R.O.P.S. either. The main pump was a huge Sunstrand brand. Sometimes when they were overhauled, a metal ball on the end of the actuating arm was left out. Without it, nothing happens, so don't do a pump rebuild before you check that little item :Banghead Good luck next week

  15. #15Stick Pro2013-07-14 22:27

    I finally got around to snapping some pics of our hancock scraper, sorry it took so long. We had her on a house pad job that required us to haul in 3000 yards with our scrapers from the back of his orchard. Sorry there is no action shots.

  16. #16Stick Pro2013-07-14 22:30

    Two more

  17. #17glenlunberg2013-07-15 01:00

    That's a great machine. Thanks for sharing your photos.

  18. #18oldtom2013-07-15 01:13

    that would be the hancock bowl on terrex s24 primover to make the s23 put two to gether in brisbane in 1977

  19. #19RZucker2013-07-15 01:55

    Im curious about this s23 thing? Up here an s 23 would have a ts18 type tractor.

  20. #20bigrus2013-07-15 02:27

    The 20 yd3 elevator had air over hydraulic for it's controls which was probably the main reason why they didn't sell. I had a few loads on the one on demonstration back late '79. As rookie operator then, I was impressed, went better than the two old 210 H's onsite. Apart from there, I never had more than a passing glance at terrex scoops, so I don't know if the tractor was the same, more than likely though.

  21. #21Buckethead2013-08-03 14:09

    I think the S11E was a Michigan painted green, sold as a Terex. Found a pic here. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...kf9UZWxGNHd4APGlYDoAQ&ved=0CEoQ9QEwBA&dur=404

  22. #22bigrus2013-08-03 18:15

    The elevator drive on the early model Michigan's were the same along with the 4 cylinder GM engine but as far as I remember were a 9yd3. The later models had the 504 V8 with the the elevator drive similar to the 110-15's, using a diff from a hough loader ? with sprockets at the end. The elevator drive was so powerful, that clods of dirt would fly up onto the draft arm . Locally they were known as the "Angry ant"

  23. #23terexkerry2013-08-03 18:35

    you are right the s23 had the same tractor as ts18,kerry

  24. #24RZucker2013-08-03 19:17

    I never got to run one but a local contractor had one... after I worked for him in the early 80s trying to clean up grader windrows with a TS14. he must have listened to the bitching. haha.

  25. #25Buckethead2013-08-03 20:56

    I remember reading somewhere (maybe in the Euclid/Terex book by Eric Orlemann?) that one model of Terex was Michigans painted green. I know from looking at pics of the S11E, they look a lot like Michigan 110 self loaders.

  26. #26RZucker2013-08-03 21:19

    Im not sure that they just painted them green. I do know the S11 had a DANA powershift trans that my trans parts people said was a serious orphan. And the 110 had a good clark trans.

  27. #27Buckethead2013-08-04 14:56

    You're probably right. I never actually saw an S11 up close.

  28. #28RZucker2013-08-04 16:53

    Well I never got to see a 110 up close either, but I understood it to be the 110 had the clark trans. I believe it was the same or similar to the one Wabco used in the 101s. That one was bulletproof in a 101. Only repair I ever did on a 101 trans was a bad input bearing on a 13000 hr machine.

  29. #29johan72013-08-21 13:42

    Hello , here is a picture of a Michigan 210 (or 110?) pushed by a Michigan 280 wheel dozer . It was in Belgium about 1961 . I must have other pics of Michigans in France . The Netherlands , johan7

  30. #30johan72013-08-22 03:06

    I found this pic of a 210 or 110 at a demo in Paris , France in 1961 . The Netherlands , johan7

  31. #31Meangreen2013-08-22 16:17

    Went to an auction back in the 70's. Think it was a Michigan 210 I was bidding on....anyway it had a 903 CUMMINS with twin chrome straight exhaust pipes. Man did that thing make some music. I bought the EUCLID S-12 right beside it.

  32. #32Barisade2023-06-27 06:26

    Good Day. Do you know how I can get in contact with the owners? I'm looking for these or similar machines