Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Decisions and costs. Ag tractor/pan vs elevation scraper for large pond job

viper ยท 2013-03-09 22:21

I am still trying to gather equipment for my personal pond work. I recently purchased a solid 2wd Ag tractor (Case) with 122HP verified at the PTO so probably 113 to the ground. The question is what size pan could it reasonable run and does it make financial sense vs a scraper? We were originally looking at a 623 or 633 for this work as the haul distance is about 1000ft and the bigger payload wins on paper by a LOT. The issue is the cost and hassles of yet another machine vs an already proved out machine with an AC but no power shift (leg workout 101). I also have our D7 and it will certainly be doing a lot of work here but how much and how productive, I am not yet sure. I need to strip some top soil and have some closer sites that are only 300ft from the ponds so I was planning to try and push them rather than scrape. D7 only has the S blade though. Excavation is roughly 18K yds compacted. I think I had about 150yrs figured for 10K yds with a 613.... Knock that down to like 50 with a 633. Just cannot find a 633 priced right enough to do it.

Replies10
  1. #1roddyo2013-03-10 22:47

    Probably a 6 yard. If you go with a 8 you might as well get a 10, it will be easier to load in a Reynolds.

  2. #2oceanobob2013-03-10 22:52

    Can the D7 make up for the lack of haul and carry since you already own this machine?

  3. #3farmerleach2013-03-10 23:02

    We have an old 6 yard we pull for ditch maintenance. I have used it behind our 7110 case, 130HP. In Clay I found that it would run out of traction even with duals much before the bowl was completely full. Probably only getting 5 yards. Better loading down hill. In top soil it would still power out. Always found the 245hp front wheel assist did a much better job, getting the bowl full. If you get a little greedy and try cutting to deep it would still stop the tractor. I imagine if you had some way of push loading things would go along much easier.

  4. #4roddyo2013-03-10 23:31

    I think his only hope of pulling it is using a Frost Bite.

  5. #5Scrub Puller2013-03-10 23:43

    Yair . . . Every one looks at things different. I know if I had a good D7 and had 18K yds to haul a thousand feet it's highly unlikely I would consider anything but a scoop (pan) behind the seven . . . I know fuel is more of an issue now but so are extra machines that can cost big time if they crap themselves. On road jobs with stick-shift HD 16's it was common enough to haul half a mile. Cheers.

  6. #6viper2013-03-12 13:02

    Thanks for the replies guys. We have talked before on this project and it really seems like trying to travel that far with the D7 is just going to be murder on the UC and since I do not have a pan for it anyway and an open pans about the same as a older CAT motor scraper, that might still be the way to go. Hell, I have seen 613s go for 3500 bucks. I really want a bigger machine though. I was targeting a paddle scraper simply because they take less power and I don't have an operator to push me with the D7 (or too cheap to pay someone). In looking at weights and such, I tend to think these ag tractors might be a bit light on the build compared to real construction heavy equipment. Also, without a powershift trans, I am pretty sure this project would suck with the ag tractor. If I could get my haul volume up to about 20yds, the time sure looks better. Around 10yds and we are looking at weeks....

  7. #7viper2013-03-12 13:06

    I guess I should add that I could consider using the D7 for this as I do agree that might cut down on machine breakdown headaches but I am a bit worried about the UC wear. I have also been unable to find a cheap 18-20yd pan anywhere.

  8. #8Bruce Higgins2013-03-12 13:19

    We built a structure here three years ago. Right at 50000 K yards. 6HXL 6D and me on a 17A with a 108 Allis. From start of thick brush clearing to finish was about three months. Had dozers in and out doing other jobs. I averaged 1000 yds a day with the pan. Replaced one track tightener seal and restrung cables a time or two. We bought the 17A just for this job. The key is great weather to work in and run hard every day.

  9. #9viper2013-03-12 18:22

    Isn't that 108 a 10yd pan? Is that really all the D7 could handle? How far were you hauling?

  10. #10Bruce Higgins2013-03-13 00:21

    The 108 is what we had. Load in first and haul in third. Most of the work was under 1200 feet. Did another job where some of the running was close to 5000 feet. Didn't get as much done but a pan was the only way to move the dirt. Would like to have a Cat 70 but finding one in decent shape isn't easy. Too many have been converted to hydraulic. I prefer cable.