Hi guys, sorry i just come back again but i have a very good vacations i just came back. now i have a trouble, with a michigan, few weeks ago was working perfect, (they go rest and machine was stoped 3 weeks) now they came back, they have this problem, hyd is not working, and also tranny doesnt (oil levels and filters ok), what can be the problem with this, really i start get bored with this old machine
With both failing I believe the only real connection between the two is they both drive off a coupler on the flywheel. Have not been into one in years but recall some machines of that vintage used a fiber splined ring bolted to the flywheel. Not specifically on a Clark-Michigan but have seen a few of these fail with age. Not the best picture but you get the idea. By the way did you ever get the park brake working on the 988B?
Hey Ken nice to see you, so i need take out converter for check?
ok i got the image how it looks the problem here is i need separate the converter grrrr i hate that
im trying to find this part in manual, but still i cant
I'm assuming you have no hydraulic action at all, no boom, no tilt, and no steering? Like I said it's been many years since I worked on a 275 Michigan. Before pulling the converter I believe there are some 6 bolt covers on the side just like you would remove to mount a PTO to a truck transmission? This may give you access to be able to see if the converter turns free with the engine off. The drive shaft from the converter to the transmission will turn free with engine off, that is normal. Another thought is to remove the starter or any thing that will give you access to the flywheel housing area to see if there is a pile of ground up fiber in there. The last thing I can think of off top of head would be to remove one of the hydraulic pumps and see if you can turn the drive for the pump with engine stopped. That's about the best ideas I can come up without seeing a parts or service manual. We may have one at work and I can try to see if there is one in the store room on monday.
Ken as always thank you very much, tomorrow i will do all these , really i apreciate all help
Problem could be the drive ring, if that is what is used, may be considered part of the engine as it is bolted to the flywheel, or part of the converter as that is what it drives, or who ever made the manual may have it in a totally separate section! Do you have a parts or service manual? Any chance of sending me a picture or two out of what you do have to kick start my brain??
http://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/Michigan/Wheel Loaders/275B #2814.PDF
btw this loader has a 12v71 detroit engine, not the original cummins
you think is part 105 in the C7A-1 page?
if the drive line between the torque converter and the transmission is not spinning when the engine is running then that tells you the fiber disk thing is toast. and when you say not hydraulics or transmission thats like nothing at all or just very minimal?
Yes that is the part I was talking about, I believe it will be a fiber material. Same page you can see the cover I was suggesting you remove it's #54 in the picture. With that off you should be able to see if there are pieces of the fiber gear in there. Should also be able to see parts 98 and 85, believe they are bolted together with several 3/8 inch bolts. If the fiber gear is bad you might be able to rotate these housings with engine off. If it does turn it looks like you have a job pulling a converter!
I would pull the starter or one of those cover plates on the torque converter and see if you see a bunch of junk in there if there is thats your problem. really not to bad of a fix honestly could be a lot worse. dont scrap her!
Well there's the problem too much power! Actually depending on the set up on the 12V71 and the original NT855 Cummins they are about the same horse power. I know the old R35 Euclids we had used 12V71's and the 855 Cummins was a factory option. Would not surprise me if Michigan did offer the Detroit as an option.
Ken, Ryan, thanks tomorrow i will see what happened here, and i say good bye for now because i need sleep i need wake up 2am, so i arrive where machine is located 6 am, also the hot there is crazy, i will tell you what happens, anjoy your weekend because i cant ROFL
keep us posted these old brutes are becoming rare its nice to keep them all running if possible!
855 made all the power down low though. The Detroit has a third the pulling power from 1000-1750rpm in my opinion.
Just need to keep the rev's up on the two strokes!
Hell yea!!!
855 is a good engine but I'd honestly take a detroit over it.
N14 stuffs
Been there! Problem is we/I only did 2 or 3 Cummins a year and watching the two dial indicators and cranking the engine over slow and smooth at the same time could get you messed up at times,(no pun intended!). The fun ones were the KT1150(AKA K19) and the VT1710's. To adjust the timing on those instead of changing a couple cam follower cove gaskets you had to pull the cam gear and use an offset key and then replace the gear hoping you did not put the key in facing the wrong way! If you were lucky and no gears or cams replaced it was just a check to see if the last guy had it in spec.
Been there! Problem is we/I only did 2 or 3 Cummins a year and watching the two dial indicators and cranking the engine over slow and smooth at the same time could get you messed up at times,(no pun intended!). The fun ones were the KT1150(AKA K19) and the VT1710's. To adjust the timing on those instead of changing a couple cam follower cove gaskets you had to pull the cam gear and use an offset key and then replace the gear hoping you did not put the key in facing the wrong way! If you were lucky and no gears or cams replaced it was just a check to see if the last guy had it in spec.
back guys and as you told me was this paste in flywheel the problem (is made from from bakelite i think) now i need go monday to other 275B client have so i can take that part and install again in this machine, here are the pics
Awesome deal! At least ya know what it is!
yes Ryan thanks to you and Ken
I learn something new every day!!! I thought the K-models and the V12s were done the same way. Never looked into one more than a glance. Glad you got it figured out!
Thanks capt
Well, I already told my client about the risk of put a used one, about no warranty is given, also i dont know if the paste is ok in the other machine, but he demand i check the used one and insatall, even i need also take converter and lost maybe 8 hours (because distance where the other 275 is located) some clients are just to greedy. even later they need spend more money
Minnpar has that gear brand new it is in stock.
Well as long as they pay when the job is done you just have to do as they say. You and I know if one say 30 year old part failed another one of the same age is probably next in line. Just make sure the check clears before it does fail! Good luck.
Hi guys after 2 day of madness, I finally fix the loader, the part i took from the other machine was in very good condition (no matter that i still didnt gave warranty) yesterday i install and machine runs great, thank for all the help
Good job, hope they appreciated the fast diagnosis, I can imagine some guys spending many hours labor pulling and tearing down pumps trying to find out why they were not pumping. You managed to walk right up to it and put the finger on the problem in a matter of minutes. Still had a lot of work I know but at least it was just the work needed not a lot of wasted effort.:notworthy
Thanks Ken i will never do this without your help
No problem glad I have learned a few things over the last 45 years that can be of help to someone! Just wish upper management in the company I just retired from could find it to have said that once in a while over the last 15 years! Besides you are doing all the work I'm just sitting here pushing keys on a computer!