Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

clarklift propane fitting

cwk266 · 2022-02-09 17:20

On a old propane powered clarklift the hose from the tank goes to a T fitting to get through the body directly behind the seat.The fitting is a 90 with the hose from the tank connecting to the hose under the body and there is a brass vent threaded into that fitting.Any ideas where a vent or maybe its a check valve not sure can be bought.See attached pic.There is propane hissing from the fitting tryed cleaning it and blowing it out still leaking

Replies14
  1. #1Birken Vogt2022-02-10 01:20

    Where exactly is the propane coming from? There are several pipe fittings and a flare fitting and the relief valve port in the picture. Leaking liquid or vapor?

  2. #2treemuncher2022-02-10 08:07

    Looks like the Pres Relief Valve from what I can see. I had to replace some fittings and hoses on my forklift recently. I also purchased fill-valve fittings and some quick disconnects so that I can refill my own tanks from my 300 gallon household unit. I got everything I needed from Ebay. If you have a wet valve on a large tank, you should be able to refill your own BBQ and forklift tanks if you have the right fittings. It's not as fast as a pump fill but it sure is convenient and much cheaper to DIY. Everything you need to know how to do it is on the internet - that's how I learned it.

  3. #3Old Doug2022-02-10 09:42

    I thought about doing that for my truck to off set the price of the permit and make it easyer to use i wouldnt have to plan ahead about getting fuel. I converted my forklift to gas i may do that to my truck.

  4. #4cwk2662022-02-10 14:54

    Thanks I did not know what the fitting was called.Its leaking from the pressure release valve it hisses vapor.I do have a large bulk tank and refilling would be awesome I am 45 min away from the nearest propane fill station.Is the wet valve a thumb screw and do both the bulk and the smaller tank need to have the valve cracked

  5. #5treemuncher2022-02-10 20:25

    Do a search on the net for proper procedure. Do NOT just follow what I do. A search should tell you that a wet valve pulls from the bottom of the tank and a dry valve pulls from the top. If you crack a top valve and it blows liquid propane, it is wet. If it only blows a gas form, it is dry and won't work to refill smaller tanks. The vapor pressure at the top of the liquid in the bulk tank will try to force the liquid through the line into the smaller tank as long as the vapor pressure in the smaller tank is lower than the big tank. This is done by opening the small tank vent valve (usually flathead screw or thumb screw). When liquid comes out this vent valve, the smaller tank is filled. There are numerous types of propane fittings out there. BBQ tanks are different from forklift tanks. I have different fill fittings for all that I own. I have not paid for a refill in the past 10 years or longer. Once you learn how, you will start saving some serious cash.

  6. #6Scottlift2022-06-19 23:49

    I know this is old thread.but would like to answer that is a pressure relief valve it is set at approx 400psi if the tank pressure should ever reach that it would open and purge gas out for safety . Also the propane tank pressure is controlled by the ambient temp out side the higher the temp the higher the pressure also at -44below zero is the boiling point of propane .

  7. #7Coaldust2022-06-20 07:10

    Scottlift, Welcome to the HEF. You a propane guy? Where is the best place to purchase acme fittings from? I need a 1 1/4”M x 3 1/4” F adapter to perform meter creep tests.

  8. #8Old Doug2022-06-20 08:14

    Do you have a picture of the fitting you need?

  9. #9Coaldust2022-06-20 13:45
  10. #10Scottlift2022-06-21 18:04

    Hi read your post l work on forklift trucks lot of propane trucks . not that familiar with that fitting so much that kind l know that when you get into that fitting they get expensive . I don't know if you tried a company called nash fuels they might be able to get the fitting a little cheaper than Amazon .hope this helps .

  11. #11Birken Vogt2022-06-21 21:33

    Any propane industry wholesaler will have those by the rack full. Whoever builds trucks or supplies pipe and valves to the retailers. Ask your customer who their favorite wholesaler is for your area. I have mine but am in N. Ca. not sure if that is any use to you.

  12. #12Coaldust2022-06-22 15:07

    Good thinking. I’ll look around Seattle and try a couple places. Western Cascade builds a lot of Bobtails.

  13. #13Coaldust2022-06-22 15:31

    Just look at that! Teeco Products, Inc of Auburn, Wa has all the propane accessories a fella could dream of. I’m liking this LPG stuff. I stay clean and don’t smell like heating oil at the end of the day.

  14. #14Birken Vogt2022-06-22 19:54

    Teeco is one of our vendors in Sacramento, just did not know what locations they had.