I am looking at buying a "classic" Peterbilt from the 60s or 70s I would register it as a historical vehicle Can you haul your own personal belongings (i.e. firewood, trucks etc..) without having to put the truck under your company name, authority, company insurance? TIA
no one has any info? Im trying to avoid IFTA, MC # DOT # etc if I dont have to run all of that in this type of situation
It is different from state to state. Check the FMCSA web site, they have a state by state list of what is required.
With the new CARB emission rules, I would see if you could even run it at all before I would check anything else. I am not sure how these rules affect "classic" trucks. I do see a lot more of the "classic" trucks for sale in California than ever before.
Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find anything like that on their site Thanks
historical vehicle plates dictate that the vehicle is only to be operated to or from parades or shows
Do you have do IFTA, DOT # MC #, DMV Motor carrier permit and all of that other stuff?
No. I don't even think you need a CDL but its a very very gray area. If you go to www.ATHS.org They are the American Truck historical society. they have a list of the requirements for every state somewhere. I don't know if its on the web site but i have seen a printed out version of the rules. Insurance isn't that bad, i think gulfway out of Florida is the one that everyone prefers. they will allow you to pull a trailer as long as anything on it is YOURS.
I think you will need a DOT# to register it, but you can probably run "not for hire", you will need to have "not for hire" on your doors though.
I am still looking for the info, In Cal I think you will need a class a or b non commercial drivers lic. You should not have to get a Dot# or anything else because you are not engaged in commerce. You should make some calls to the DMV, and the DOT offices to find out for sure. In the mean time i will keep digging.
thanks I appreciate you digging up the info...I got my class A so no worries there. Ill call the DMV & DOT...call 10 people over there & you get 20 different answers lol
I have found the DMV to be a place to get erroneous info. on commercial vehicles in the state of Cali. The commercial division (DOT) at the CHP is a really good source. They are very helpful over the phone, and they are the ones that you have to deal with when on the road. If you are in Southern Cal., pm me and I will give you the direct number to the commercial division guys. I don't know the number for Northern Cal. I am not sure if they can give you info. on the CARB rules tho.
DZLNUT, I just got finished doing the same thing you want to do and didnt have any problems. I got my insurance through Gulfway out of Florida, which uses Travelers Ins. Company. I pay 200 a year, you get unlimited mileage/distance, truck does not have to be garaged or covered. The truck can't have a sleeper though...dont know why? Once I got proof of insurance I went to the DMV in Maryland filled out Historic plates/registration paper and 2 hours later I had tags...no questions asked. I've got a 74 KW W925 short wheel base. the only thing I did was get the DOT numbers off, still have the old company name on the door ( we used to subcontract with them) and I've been riding around for about 2 months. I'm working on making a lighted "NOT FOR HIRE" plate