Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clean clothes

curb guy ยท 2011-05-14 21:30

Hey guys, I was wondering today as I washed a load of very greasy clothes for the third time, how do you all get your work clothes clean? I have a washer and dryer in my shop so as not to gum up the wifes' machines. I usually can get them clean after 2 washes. I've used everything from Lestoil, regular detergent, simple green, dawn dish soap, power washer degreaser, and countless other combinations with varying degrees of sucsess. So, what do you guys use?

Replies20
  1. #1willie592011-05-14 21:31

    Me, thank goodness for uniforms.

  2. #2koldsteele2011-05-14 22:11

    Try some purple power or Mr clean ...works good for me .... I'm the one charge for cleanin ..yeah i aint got no cook either..

  3. #3Lee-online2011-05-14 22:34

    Uniform company does an outstanding job. I have turned them in covered in grease and grime, so thick it needs scraped off with a putty knife but yet they always come back spotless.

  4. #4ScottAR2011-05-14 23:11

    Hand cleaner works pretty good sometimes...just rub it in good first on the worst spots...

  5. #5RobVG2011-05-14 23:39

    Brake cleaner is the way to go for grease and oil stains. Soak, rub and blot till there gone.

  6. #6willie592011-05-14 23:46

    Yep, brake cleaner has the same chemical (tetrachloroethylene) as uses in dry cleaning solvent machines.

  7. #7heavylift2011-05-15 01:17

    I used to take my greasers to the car wash first, to wash the toluene off, then to the laundry mat , stick them in the washer marker greasers, usually came really clean , but that was when soap was soap. and chemicals weren't dangerous Now if I get something on them, I use whatever gimmick that is suppose to clean, I have even put hand cleaner, oxyclean and tide together, which does a fair job on stuff.. But if it's super nasty it's still the carwash first,even for muddy stuff, and the laundrymat Can't mess up the house washer

  8. #8RonG2011-05-15 04:08

    The first thing that I thought of was "uniforms"...lol.I always washed mine at home,Tide was the best I think.Just make sure to empty your pockets,a plug of chewing tobacco like Days Work can make a real mess.Sometimes you would need to run the washer through a cycle empty but mostly just do a dark load first before you do the whites and it seemed to work ok for me. I always tried to wear coveralls when I knew that I was in for it.It takes a little dedication to get those clean when the time comes.Ron G

  9. #9FSERVICE2011-05-15 22:25

    the green tire cleaner at the car wash works great on greasy items let it soak in the wash it off with hot water

  10. #10jimrr2011-05-16 08:50

    gasoline, but then u have to let it dry out -- then wash'em.

  11. #11curb guy2011-05-18 02:16

    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have to try some of them.

  12. #12Spangles2013-01-28 20:47

    wd40 + reg detergent + distilled water all into a pressure cooker. comes out just as good as new.

  13. #13bill onthehill2013-01-28 22:04

    Wife will soak them with pinesol and some other stuff in the slop sink for a day or two. Then run them with plenty of cleaner in a hot cycle. I have my hot water set real hot on the indirect water heater and that helps a lot.

  14. #14roadrunner2013-01-28 22:05

    Detergent and 2 litre bottle of Coke(coca-cola).

  15. #15curb guy2013-01-28 22:36

    Coca-Cola? Really?

  16. #16roadrunner2013-01-28 22:55

    Yep I learned that a long time ago ...works great for getting out hydraulic oil and even better for stinky gear oil. Don't ask me why but it works great.(alot of guys working the rigs use

  17. #17davidsharp2013-01-29 00:04

    Dissolve dishwasher powder in hot water or use the liquid dishwasher detergent. Wisk works ok

  18. #18heavylift2013-01-29 00:48

    coca cola works, learn that from my mom many years ago. She would always add coke to her laundry, when she used to work in restaurants. It does remove the grease smell.

  19. #19carogator2013-02-16 10:58

    Yes, the coca-cola does work, and works great for windshields and wipers. Put it on battry terminals to clean without scraping.

  20. #20Oxbow2013-02-16 15:27

    I have used starting fluid to spray off grease and oil spots.