Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Worn Crank Seal

Steve Frazier ยท 2011-05-15 18:22

I have a Deere commercial mower with a Yanmar diesel on the job that's leaking oil at the crank seal. Upon disassembling we discovered a nasty ring worn in the crank where the seal rubbed. I also noted when taking it apart that it appeared to have been apart before. The seal was about 1/16" from being seated completely and form a gasket material on the cover Apparently this was a problem once before, as there are two rings worn in the crank. The dealer doesn't have a repair sleeve available. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies23
  1. #1grandpa2011-05-15 18:50

    Can you make a speedy sleeve on your own Steve? A piece of copper tubing... stainless or heck even plastic and then super glue it onto the crank...... to remove the sleeve stuck on with super glue you will have to add heat. Mic the crankshaft and head to the hardware store and see what you can turn up..... good luck.

  2. #2mitch5042011-05-15 18:55

    Steve, the speedi-sleaves are the ones I use, I get them from the Mack dealer. If they don't have something that will work, most Parker products are excellent, though pricey. I don't know anything about the others. Speedi-sleave http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDuty/KitsAndTools/SpeediSleeve.aspx Parker http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.7100150cebe5bbc2d6806710237ad1ca?vgnextdiv=687567&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextcatid=2633738&vgnextcat=SHAFT%20REPAIR%20SLEEVES&vgnextoid=f5c9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD and http://www.daemar.com/shaft_repair_sleeves_17.html and http://www.durasleeve.com/ Good Luck, and thanks for making a great forum. (though maybe I shouldn't thank you, since I am now an addict)

  3. #3RobVG2011-05-15 19:35

    I've had grapple swivels where the seals carved some grooves into the spool. Had the surfaces flame sprayed and turned back to spec. $175.

  4. #4willie592011-05-15 19:44

    Just about any local bearing distributor can order speedy sleeves. Use some Loctite 680 retaining compound on the crank while installing speedy sleeve so it will fill the grooves in the crankshaft.

  5. #5jrtraderny2011-05-15 20:21

    Try your local NAPA store they did handle C/R Speedi-sleeves. jr

  6. #6cutting edge2011-05-15 21:19

    Best professional advice ever.....especially the supergluing plastic pipe to the crank part...that was epic. Sleeve it,seal it,forget it.

  7. #7Steve Frazier2011-05-16 23:20

    Thanks guys! I didn't realize these sleeves were so readily available. I stopped at a hot rod shop and he agreed to help me out, he'll come to the shop if necessary and measure the crank. I'll keep you posted.

  8. #8willie592011-05-16 23:22

    Now that's what I call "service" Steve, sweet!

  9. #9grandpa2011-05-17 07:38

    Laugh if you want, the name of the game is to see who ends up with the most marbles in the end. How you doing so far?

  10. #10cutting edge2011-05-17 08:47

    Marbles? Ive still got most of mine....how 'bout you? A speedy sleeve will probably cost less than 10 bucks for what he's talking about. Farting around trying to find materials to bojang a piece of abs to the crank will take you at least an hour (if it works at all).....what's your time worth?

  11. #11watglen2011-05-17 09:46

    Man i love HEF! I have never heard of or even thought of a speedy sleave. But i know exactly where i need one. After the last repair, i thought i had to scrap my little $5000 irrigation pump, now i know how to fix it! WOO HOO!

  12. #12Willis Bushogin2011-05-17 14:58

    just fixed a $200 yoke on the back of a tranny, on one of my dump trucks. It had a bad groove in it, went to my local truck parts place and got the seal, speedi sleeve and it came with the installer tool, Loctite, $38.00

  13. #13grandpa2011-05-17 22:05

    Steve, I apologize for trying to help you out with the crankshaft problem,,, I guess cutting edge doesn't value my opinions, so in the future I will keep my mouth shut so you can follow his advice . Sorry.

  14. #14cutting edge2011-05-17 22:13

    AAAWWWWWW....come on now....:stirthepot

  15. #15cutting edge2011-05-17 22:16

    If the speedy sleeve don't work,glue some plastic pipe to it:falldownlaugh

  16. #16inthedirt2011-05-17 22:19

    The output shaft on the back of my service truck tranny leaks oil like a sieve (1.5-2 qts every week to week and a half). The tech from another branch that recently had it before me put a seal and speedy-sleeve on it. but as i have driven it the leak has gotten worse. guy at the International dealer said that if it is an Eaton (factory) seal that was put in it they won't take a speedy-sleeve and the extra OD to the shaft will burn up the lips on the seal and make it leak worse. Said I'd need to put in an aftermarket seal that will accept a sleeve. Ever heard of this?

  17. #17cutting edge2011-05-17 22:21

    lol...but honestly....the 2 wear marks on the crank are likey from the original seal : one from the seal lip iteslf and one from the dust wiper. measure the distance from the crank nose to both of the wear marks and the depth of the seal in the front cover,so you can use these measurements to reference where the sleeve and new seal need to be located.

  18. #18grandpa2011-05-17 22:22

    Cutting Edge.... grow up.

  19. #19willie592011-05-17 22:22

    Ok, I think that's enough. Steve said in his original post that dealer didn't have sleeve available, granpa was just giving him options. Let it go. Some seals, like some rear crankshaft seals, are specific about diameter, but most seals will accept repair sleeves.

  20. #20cutting edge2011-05-17 22:23

    Cant say that I have,but from my experience,if it's a 466e, I think they're supposed to leak...everyone ive ever been near,does.

  21. #21cutting edge2011-05-17 22:25

    Just having a bit of fun....sheesh.

  22. #22Steve Frazier2011-05-17 22:29

    cutting edge and grandpa, I'm going to ask you both once to go to the opposite sides of the bar and mind your business, this jabbing at one another is childish. At this point it doesn't matter who started it, it ends now. The two wear marks are from two seals being placed in the housing at two different depths, it's pretty obvious in looking at it. The speedy sleeve is the way I'm going to go if one is available in this size, I have someone working on that for me now. I wasn't aware these were so widely available, I'm pretty confident we'll find one to fit.

  23. #23mitch5042011-05-18 00:47

    You know you got a bad DT466e, if it's leaking out the transmission output shaft seal! In all seriousness, there are several different types of sleeves available, some are very thin and take original seal, and some are much thicker, and you must use a larger seal. If this sleeve is in good shape, I would mic it and see if I could get a seal whose dia. range it fell within.