Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cleaning My Machine

Matty ยท 2011-10-14 11:51

I have a 2000 Hitachi EX120 that I just picked up, but it has been sitting in a field for 2 years. The machine only has 3800 hours on it, but it is just covered in weather. Dirt, leaves, sticks, etc. I replaced all the fluids, filters, etc. and the machine runs like a champ, but I am not sure how to clean it. I am very new to owning a machine like this. My tractor I can powerwash without issue. Can I do the same with this as well? I take good care of my equipment and want this to look as good as the care. Anything I need to watch out for? Thanks, M@

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies17
  1. #1yanmarman2011-10-14 18:12

    Same as your tractor,I try to keep ours looking like new. Have at it,and good luck

  2. #2CM19952011-10-14 19:00

    A good de-greaser (if needed), a power washer, a change of clothes and time is all you need. If you know how to power wash a tractor then an excavator is the same thing only bigger. Stay away from electronic connections and the like.

  3. #3Greg2011-10-14 20:10

    Lots of changes of clothes there CM1995. If you have a washer that has a heater on it that makes it even better. Mine also has a detergent adding system.

  4. #4CM19952011-10-14 21:28

    We don't want to give away al l of our secrets.

  5. #5Kobe1302011-10-15 00:03

    Purchased a used SK130 last winter and started working on it in April. First thing I did was very thoroughly power wash it including the inside of the cab. Used cold water and about 1500 psi. In tough places sprayed full strength industrial detergent to loosen the crud. Let it soak a bit. Was utterly drenched after an hour of that. Did a second wash after taking more stuff off. That cleaned it up pretty well. No matter what I did couldn`t get rid of sticks leaves etc at base of swing gear so guess I`ll have to stand on my head and remove that stuff by hand. I will definitely get rid of that stuff as it`s a severe fire hazard in my view especially as its all oil soaked. Even pulled used rags and cardboard drink containers out of there. Surprised there wasn`t a little can of diesel waiting for a spark. However, all worth it as with fresh paint the machine looks almost new. Nice!

  6. #6jack3452011-10-16 00:34

    I removed all the covers,seat ,engine cover and power washed just when you think its finished you'll find more dirt, leafs, etc. If you're planning to paint it this winter check out your local hardware store that mixes Rustoleum paint. True Value matched my paint colors by taking in a part with color to be scaned. About $8-9 a qt. lot better that the $40 a qt dealer wanted. I'm sure that the dealers paint is better but not that much.

  7. #7Nige2011-10-16 10:27

    If you can get good water pressure with heat and detergent that should bring it up like new. As posted above be careful of electronic modules. They don't like getting wet. Should be OK with spray bouncing off other areas but just don't point the pressure washer jet directly at any electronic modules, or more especially at the wiring harness connections to them. I've seen some people cover electronics modules with plastic to protect them while washing but with care I don't personally think that's required. Depending on how good the electrical connectors are on the machine be prepared for possibly a few electrical issues after pressure washing. If you want to get really anal pull each of the visible electrical connectors after washing and give them a dose of electrical contact cleaner.

  8. #8markshr1512011-10-16 19:52

    go to northern tool or something similar and buy the diesel add on heater . then find a place to hook it up permanently to wash things . you will have a new best friend. We clean every thing with it and fast.I could go on and on but you get the point.

  9. #9rgl7262011-10-16 21:01

    if you want clear including the wirings. just remove the computer modules (PVC and EC) and you good to go. remove the cab for more better shot. and dont forget to disconnect the battery. let it dry for at least 4 hrs. before reconnecting the computers.

  10. #10Matty2011-10-18 16:04

    Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting dirty making it clean.

  11. #11willie592011-10-18 20:42

    Umm, we need pics.

  12. #12Matty2011-10-23 21:16

    I was able to do it in about 20 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C_b0E0uo7s Not a full cleaning, but it lost a few hundred pounds of grime.

  13. #13willie592011-10-23 21:33

    Oh man, that is so...cheating! Bah ha ha hahahaha :tong

  14. #14Heath2011-10-26 20:34

    Yes, do it the same as you would a tractor. Use common sense when washing around electrical fuse box. The looks of the machine will matter if you ever want to sell it. Have a good day.

  15. #15tonka2011-10-27 10:32

    The bigger "?" is who would let that sit in a field for 2 years? That looks like a $$$$ making machine to me, i don't get it...

  16. #16fast_st2011-10-27 15:25

    Well, if you have to get wet, go to the painting section and find an all over tyvek suit for $2, cover your hair and all!

  17. #17Deereman2011-11-03 19:07

    We had a fire hose at were I used to work. I could clean the tracks off in just a few minutes to look like it came off the dealer lot.Even if it was packed full of mud. It worked really good for getting out and around the turntable as well.