Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cleaning out a fuel tank

Mike L ยท 2014-06-06 13:24

We got a john deere 750c that somebody must have left the fuel cap off. A bird got in there and died. I've been cleaning feathers out of the tank screen and primary filter housing. Took off the tank and did my best to flush it out but I can't see much of the inside due to a baffle. I'm sure that when I drained the tank quite a few feathers just stuck to the side and didn't get flushed out. I used one of our fuel pumps and sprayed about 20 gallons of fuel in tank to flush it. I got alot of bird parts out but its already plugging back up. Any ideas on how to get it clean? I can't keep wasting diesel to flush it out and dont want to have to take tank apart if I don't have to

Replies3
  1. #1maddog2014-06-06 13:33

    When I saw the post I thought you'd be talking about rust, "The Works" cleaner eats that up great then you rinse with vinegar, then rinse again with 90% rubbing alcohol. You have a whole other issue, I wonder if "the works" would eat the bird guts up, it's real strong stuff?

  2. #2JBGASH2014-06-06 13:50

    A wet/dry shop vac may be a better option with a hose extension of some kind, just a thought....

  3. #31466IH2014-06-06 15:09

    Muratic acid and water.mix 50 50 and let it set overnight then rinse with water and stick shopvac hose in and let it dry out then you are good to go