Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cleaning steel hydraulic lines out

Randy88 ยท 2013-03-16 07:49

I'm still working on my shop door, am about to install the hydraulics and I want to make sure the steel lines we're using are clean, along with the new hose's we need to make up, I've already cleaned my hydraulic tank out, installed a new pump and motor and now we need to clean before or after installing almost 300 feet of line, any idea's? I've seen the fancy guns they shoot the cleaning wads through before, never run one, does anyone know anything about them? We've considered using a electrical fish tape to pull a rag through the system both before and after installing them but not sure what's the best, any input or idea's. I've never had this many lines or footage of lines to do before on any one single project.

Replies8
  1. #1SchuLace2013-03-16 19:21

    The cleaning guns work well but it depends on how long of a continuous run you have. If it gets too long you won't have enough pressure to push the projectile all the way through. The guns do a pretty good job from what I have seen.

  2. #2ScottAR2013-03-17 02:24

    Dunno the size line your using, They clean out concrete pump lines with a nerf ball smashed down inside and pressure applied. Not sure if they use water or air but from what I can tell, it works.

  3. #3Randy882013-03-17 16:47

    I'm going to use both 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch pipe, along with conventional rubber hydraulic hoses.

  4. #4heavylift2013-03-17 17:10

    clean each pipe individually before you put it together, I would say much like cleaning a gun barrel.

  5. #5pipeline mech2013-03-17 17:24

    I have the pig shooter and it works great but you dont need to spend all that money. You could just buy the foam pigs from your local hose shop and shoot them through with your blow gun for just a few dollars and it cleans the lines out great.

  6. #6jd10002013-03-21 16:55

    How about some tight fitting sponge and blow it through with your airline?

  7. #7blitz1382013-03-21 23:02

    What do you think is in the hydraulic line? Run your hydraulic oil through with a pump and filter, repeat

  8. #8Cmark2013-03-22 03:25

    The foam clean-out pellets are, IMO, a great thing. The only real limitation to distance is the capacity of your compressor. With a big enough volume of air, they wil go long distances. Through couplings, through elbows, steel line to hose and back to steel line, no problem. If you think your steel lines have scale in them you can get abrasive ones for an initial clean out. This is the local supplier I use http://www.ferretindustries.com/