I have a CTL. I heard that when running in mud, it was important to wash out the undercarriage at the end of the day, even when there is no chance of the mud freezing. Is that the consensus of the operators here? Unless the mud freezes or dries out to hardpack, I can't see why removing the mud overnight is that much different from stopping one evening with mud in the undercarriage and starting up the next morning. I'm new at this, and any guidance would be appreciated.
well when mud is packed in there so are gravels and stuff and when this stuff is rubbing an idler or something else it causes excessive wear. now for one day this is not too bad but if it stays in the same place for days and days then if can start to damage things badly. now with that said i don't clean mine every day, but if it is some really bad stuff and i can then i do. you said you are new at this, then i think you need to go to where you bought your machine and have them price you an undercarriage, then go back to the site and look at that mud in those tracks and ask your self again....is it that much different.
They are near impossible to clean, with normal tools. I made a tool that would clean just about every nook and cranny.. about a 4 foot piece of 1" pipe.. flattened on one end. I then bent the end about 6" down the pipe with about a 4" of bend.. I stored it in the back door.. get into all the little spaces.. Patent pending It's easier to clean them more often than once a day... If you have a little dead time, grab the tool and clean.. I almost always give them a once over at the end of the day.. Another plus is if your hauling it from job to job... It's one less thing for THE SUPER DOT MAN to write you a ticket for ..
The pipe is a good idea.:notworthy Clam digging shovels work well too! It's all about reducing wear. I've seen top rolls on a D-8 that couldn't turn because of the flat spot wore into them. I'm sure that was for much longer than overnight, but daily cleaning would become a good habit. I imagine the operator couldn't see them under all the old mud and dirt, so he assumed they were still turning under the material. This machine was coming to one of my jobs, and I went with the lowboy to pick it up. The property owner I contract to requires any equipment from another property to be clean when it comes onto his land. This is to help prevent spreading noxious weeds and other undesirable things. I cleaned the undercarriage before loading on the lowboy. I wasn't very happy to see that roller. Damp, fresh material is easier to clean off than dried, but I'd guess another reason for cleaning at the end of shift, would keep the moisture in the mud from being trapped against seals and drying (rusting) in there. I don't clean everyday either, but I really watch closely and clean often the more traveling I have to do. Also you can see the track sag better and know when to adjust tension.
I have a cat ctl and have become kinda fanatical about keeping the mud out of the tracks. I clean every day its muddy. I look at it this way. Mud gets packed around the rollers and drys, causing it to shrink. That make room for more mud to get in, and dry. The next time the mud gets wet it expands, and starts putting pressure on the rollers etc. And from what i understand, those boggie systems are weak at best. good luck ken
I think that clean u/c reduces wear for sure, because all the dry mud packed around the rollers builds up streching the tracks for one aswell it acts like a constant abrasive disk when its hard running over the same spot. The more you do it the easier it gets. Up here its just a unspoken rule that your track shovel gets used weather its gonna freeze or not
It doesn't get below freezing often here. Several times a year it might get down to 25*, not severe like you guys. 3 years ago it stayed in the teens for a week. 2nd time in my life I'd seen our rivers freeze over. When I hear forecasts below freezing, I try to park on wood or rocks. Our "big" freeze caught me by suprise. Got to work on Monday, and I was froze to the ground in the fines on the haul road in the sandstone pit we were stripping. I did my engine and hydralic warmup over each track and when I was ready to travel, I gently lifled each side free from the ground. 3-4 inch thick, 24" wide cakes stuck to the bottoms of my tracks, so I worked the travel back and forth while lifted off the ground until the cakes were small enough to clear the house and roteck.What kind of cold temps does it take to really cause damage to things. I figured better safe than sorry. Besides, the D250 haul trucks took alot longer to unthaw. What do you guys do if you happen to get frozen down? Pickup exhaust, flame throwers? Just rip her loose? To get back on the track cleaning topic, the u/c was clean from the week before . I even try to get most of the material behind the final sprockets also. I've heard that this material can push the sprockets and mess up the seals. I've never seen it, but it sounds resonable. I guess it wouldn't if you were frozen in, but might if parked on wood or rock and u/c isn't clean. Mythbusters?
We always use track shovels, the long skinny ones and anything with tracks is to be cleaned every day. At least wiped off if it's dry material and really get after it if it's mud. Every day. The first time you don't make sure the the final drives, idlers, and rollers are clear and it freezes by surprise, you'll know. That only happened to me one time, on an excavator and I certainly know that taking 15 minutes at end of shift the evening before would have saved me an hour and half the next day and some not so pleasant looks from the superintendent.
Hi there boss on job who should know better left machine parked in wet weather with tracks in this condition,weather then froze,machine stuck fast,of course he wasn't about when it was time to sort it out!
depends on the tracks and how clean they are, last week i seen a 8r stuck to the ground in slop and atleast the oporator shoveld the tracks but wasnt smart enough to gently break it loose. I was sitting in my pickup waching and to my horror i seen him rev it up and wached the torque on the tracks and all of a sudden the machine let loose and started bucking and away it went. when there froze down lift them off the ground with the bucket blade or ripper and slowly turn the tracks. The worst problem i have is having the top rollers freeze and never turn even when i run a finger around them at night, so i lift my 450d up on one side at a idle and wedge my broom in under the pedal. Then lift the safety and walk around front and see if theyre turning if not i usualy take a bar and a hammer and get em moving. Definately dont do it my way if there are ppl around but it seems to work good for me!
We are finally bringing a product to market to address frozen tracks: ThermoTraxx. It's a track frame heating system and will make cleaning your tracks a breeze! The inventor hasn't had a track shovel with him in his excavator for four years operating in upstate PA and NY, even in temps down to 11 degrees. Stay tuned!
Cleaning out the tracks along with greasing at the end of the day has always been a requirement in my working life. Not only are you doing those tasks but you're doing a visual inspection at the same time. That can pay huge dividends.
Thanks for the feedback! I have videos I'll upload soon showing the inventor wiping mud off his track frame with his gloved-hand. The temps that day were 11-degrees with a high of 14-degrees Fahrenheit. It took him only 15 minutes to clean his tracks! He has over 1000 hours on his setup for his John Deere 700K. That's the first model we are going to market with. What model of dozer do you run, Tones?
None mate, I've retired and equipment sold.
I think Tones was replying to the thread in general not specifically to your post.
If working in dry dirt don't clean it. When it gets the wet muddy stuff on top it will come off easy.
Maintenance is expensive, parts are expensive. Run it dirty until destruction or take care of it, so it lasts longer? IDK. I’m so inclined to clean tracks and grease daily to take pride in my ride, but IDK what the correct answer is. They make new ones everyday and time is important. Use them up and buy a new one. Purchase two of them, so while your waiting for parts, service, or the order board to open. So, the job can still get accomplished. Or, just lease. Lease in this market and economy.
I know I’m crazy… but I keep the machines clean as I can so I might clean tracks 5-6 times a day depending on the ground conditions. Same with grease if I know I’m hard on certain components they might see grease 3 times a day if I know they can use it. I know it’s not always practical but if you have ever had to go fix stuff on a machine before after it has been neglected for months… my god just keep it clean.
After every day working my machines i clean them out regardless. Unless it was dry powder that just falls off. It's a good habit to get into, gives you time to fuel the machine up while you clean.
I am kind of "old School" when it come to clean tracks. I like them clean. So, I use a pump up sprayer filled with diesel, and spray the tracks and frames with diesel in the morning. By noon, there is usually very little build up. I knock that off, and respray after lunch. This generally keeps them clean till the end of the day, when I clean them up again. I know, spraying the tracks with diesel may not be environmentally wise, but it works quite well. Jeff
You could probably use something like vegetable oil instead of diesel. There is also special stuff that dirt bike riders use so the mud doesn't stick but I can't remember the name. Some riders use Pam cooking spray or a no name equivalent.
Our customers that have their operators take care of the machines by cleaning, fueling, greasing, etc vs just being meat in the seat typically have lower repair bills both through better maintenance and catching many problems before they become big problems.