Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cleaning Undercarriage

inyati13 ยท 2011-05-27 09:57

We have clay soils here in KY. It can set up like concrete. When dozing in a wet area and things get sticky, the clay can pack up around the chain. The clay is packed in by the rotating teeth of the sprocket. When it dries, the chain loses its flexibility. I have used a mallet and heavy screw driver to chisel it out especially around the bushing. All the openings in the links can become packed with clay. I have noticed that when the chain is clean, I can flex the chain more easily by lifting up on the edge of the shoe. When it is packed with clay it is ridgid. The tension on the track must be affected. I frequently clean my chain but it is a 2 hour job. How do most people deal with this and what do they use to clean the chain? I use a mallet and large screw driver. Please add your comments on cleaning the chain and undercarriage.

Replies2
  1. #1D3DaveC2011-05-28 10:19

    It helps a lot to have holes in the pads. When I put on new chains I will cut holes in the pads if there are none already. We have a long winter here as well so the holed pads help with snow packing between the bushing and pad. Why don't the pads have holes from the factory? Cost to punch them out?

  2. #2thebaz2011-05-29 03:16

    Just a comment on the holes in pads. I am not sure if I am on the right track here (no pun intended) and even though my machine is a track loader the same principles may apply. I had closed grousers on the machine from new and replaced them with open grousers when I replaced the chains. I am have noticed that the open grousers are a real problem in fine soils and sand where the soil is forced through the holes on turns and builds up on the sprockets. What happens next is the chain rides up on the build up of sand then goes out of pitch with the sprocket until it finally rides up on the tooth, compressing the recoil spring and then slips off the tooth making a huge BANG! I don't remember this being such a problem with the closed pads, so these type of pads may be more applicable in these types of ground rather than being made like this because they are cheaper to manufacture without the holes.