Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cleaning & undercarriages.

artherd · 2007-07-25 02:14

This question has bothered me for some time; I regularily have the guys clean the excavators, every time it comes off a job of course, and about once every week or two while on-site. That said, what exactly are the benefits to cleaning while running in regular moisture conditioned dirt material anyway? Obviously you want to get mud/etc off there relatively soon so you do not get rust under the caked-on material, not speaking of extra dirty situations, just normal use. Should we clean more often? Less when onsite? Opinions?

Replies34
  1. #1Squizzy246B2007-07-25 02:41

    artherd: I'll talk predominantly about the running gear. We operate mainly in sand and pressure clean our mini-ex tracks at least once a week. The reasons for this are as follows: 1.) If you look at the history of CTL/MTL machines in the early days...and still to date, poor track life and early undercarriage failures where often attributed a build up crap around the running gear. I'll take that as good general information to possess. 2.) With the mini-x, and even given its running in sand, I can get 3/8" difference in track tension between uncleaned and cleaned. So there is obviously some build up there that is stretching the tracks. 3.) We are getting track life at the upper end of most expectations so we must be doing something right. 4.) I believe cleaning the tracks is a good work ethic to encourage and better, a chance to closely inspect the condition of the undercarriage and catch any problems before they become..."Spendy". In general: 5.) Excess grease holds dirt around the lube point...clean it off when its done its job. Keep your machine well presented for your clients and I believe it reflects well on your business. 6.) ...a clean machine is good for the soul

  2. #2Ross2007-07-25 14:31

    Depends on what machine you have/use? Cleaning the tracks on mini diggers is a walk in the park. Larger machines are another kettle of fish. Ross

  3. #3Wulf2007-07-25 17:28

    Here's just one reason why.... It doesn't affect squizzy in Perth but here's one reason, seized track adjusters, flat spotted and leaking rollers are just a couple of others...

  4. #4jperfect2007-07-25 18:57

    i have all eays been in the habet that i clean my tracks every day then you dont forget about when its important. i dont know if it makes a differants though.

  5. #5surfer-joe2007-07-25 22:07

    Bang on Squizzy. You should clean tracks and roller frames every shift. In winter the stuff won't freeze on if you get it off while things are still warm. In summer, it isn't "baked" on. Clean U/C can be checked for cracks, missing hardware or damaged components. Also leaks from finals and idlers, rollers, and adjusters. An U/C packed up with dirt, mud, or snow, is also a safety hazard if your operator slips off because the footstep is obstructed. Then he winds up with injured back and becomes owner of company. Finally, if muck is allowed to build up, it can cause tensional stress or binding problems that you do not need, Can also increase fuel consumption. Cleaning U/C also teaches operators humility.

  6. #6artherd2007-07-26 03:08

    Full cleaning (which in my opinion requires about an hour and a BIG pressure washer, preferably heated) or just knocking the dirt off with a shovel?

  7. #7LowBoy2007-07-26 03:49

    As surfer-joe said, cleaning with a shovel every shift is a good work ethic. Especially if working in muck or clay, rather than have it harden up overnight, it's good practice to take a track shovel or narrow spade, and at least open up underneath the chains, around rolls, and drive sprockets. You'll notice more improved travel and less wear if this was a daily ritual. If you're in a cold climate, and working in freezing temps., it's a no-brainer then. I once rented a JD 70D to a "buddy" for a day so he could finish up a job that he had lingering in December. I had a septic system repair to do with it the next day after he was done, and requested his guys to clean out the tracks, and drop the machine off at MY job so I can get going bright and early the following morning. (We are in Upstate NY on the Vt. border, it was C O L D...) I get to my job as planned the next day early, there sits my 70D, tracks plugged solid with that beautiful, black swamp muck so bad, you couldn't see anything but the tracks themselves. It was zero overnight, and it was so frozen, the machine wouldn't budge. I beat with crowbars, chipped with hammers, and finally went and got a tarp and a generator and my salamander space heater, and spent the next several hours thawing and removing chunks of frosted slop from the trackframe. Some "buddy", huh?:beatsme I got my country justice though. I borrowed his Western Star 10 wheeler a few days later to haul some fill to my job, and it kept building and building up in the nose around the doghouse until the floor finally had a good covering, and left it in his yard with about 4-5 c.y.'s of frozen dirt in the body. He called me up howling mad about it, and I fired back about what his knothead operator did to me, and called it even...:drinkup

  8. #8surfer-joe2007-07-26 09:07

    Ah, revenge is sometimes sweet LowBoy! But I guess you found out the hard way as I and so many others have what happens to muck left in an U/C when the temperature drops. artherd, cleaning with a spade, or "sharp-shooter" some call them is usually adequate. You never get it all, but clearing the most of it will allow rollers and idlers to turn and you can spot some problems if they happen. I'd like to have a buck for every Cat I beat on trying to get frozen or baked stuff off. One idea that's been used is having laborers do the cleaning instead of higher paid operators. While it is cheaper, I don't know that you get a better job tho the operators were happy about not having to do it. But on a big spread with lots of dozers and other tracked machines, it may save some time to have a crew of 3-4 people pull up and go to it. With adequate supervision and some experience good cleaning could be expected.

  9. #9ILMChris2007-07-26 11:42

    In the Army all equipment coming out of the field went through a wash point...about 6 vehichles wide with fire hoses mounted on stands, 2 per lane at the beginning and at the end, about 2-3 feet deep, cement pad. It was generally a good idea to use the drivers parascope and keep the hatches shut. Still didn't keep all the water out though.

  10. #10tylermckee2007-07-26 20:51

    I never clean my tracks. We are working in shot rock. Bring a machine in with an UC full of dirt and in a few hours its clean enough to eat off

  11. #11dumptrucker2007-07-28 21:05

    In my opinion the more you clean it the easier it is to clean. I have seen idler rolls not spin and wear flat spots. On dozer's the final drive seals will start to leak from not cleaning because of built up heat. I usually clean tracks everyday. Takes 15 to 20 minutes at most.

  12. #12Truckie2007-07-29 09:51

    Yes I agree 100% with you on that statement, I have also saw guys do this and they don’t care at all. The conditions we run in in the winter requires you to clean the tracks twice a day. Once at lunch and then at quitting time. During the summer I will clean the tracks out every 3 days, and that is just a build up of dust. If it rains and get muddy I clean around the rollers and the chain slop on top every day and wait till the mud dries up and then clean the rest out. If it gets to hard or frizzes enough where we cant shovel it I have one of my guys come over with the Cat skid steer with the forks on it and knock the material loose. It took me about 3 times to teach this guy how to do this and he is pretty good at it now, and then I just go though and do the final cleaning with my shovel.

  13. #13lgammon2007-07-30 22:23

    winter it is an every day thing. summer there is nothing there to clean out unless it is muddy, then we clean daliy. i think that the operator should clean his own tracks, builds character and keeps his head from swealing. i have always just worked for my dad and his thinking is that any man that works for him will wear out one shovel before he gets on a machine so that he really knows how to dig and not to be lazy

  14. #14Wulf2007-07-30 22:36

    A friend of mine runs a repair shop and a machine was dropped off for an undercarriage job that was quoted and flat-rated down to the last dime. The dozer came in with the the tracks packed hard with weeks of dirt... well before the machine was unloaded the customer was called and was told that cleaning wasn't included and the shop could do it prior to starting repairs but they would charge by the hour. The owner said no way and sent the operator down to do it himself and even had him take the soil away for disposal... quite character building

  15. #15Mack2007-07-30 23:26

    When I run a machine I clean out the tracks at the end of every day.

  16. #16Tacodriver2007-07-31 22:41

    If I was the lowbed operator the tracks would have to be cleaned before hitting the road. People get excited when dirt and rocks bounce off their windshield.

  17. #17treemuncher2007-08-27 02:38

    Fast Excavator Undercarraige Cleaning Technique I AM SURE THIS IS NOT OSHA APPROVED - USE THIS METHOD AT YOUR OWN RISK The fastest way that I have found to clean out the tracks on my PC200 is as follows: Build a Y shaped chain assembly with three hooks ,one clevis and two lengths of chain (one short, one long). I use 3/8" or larger grade 70 chain for this assembly. Attach two slip type hooks, one on each end of the short chain. The length of the short chain should be about 1.5 - 2 times the width of your pads. The short chain is to be attached to each side of a track pad in order to lift the track. Attach the clevis to one end of the long chain with the short chain riding in the middle of the clevis hoop. This allows for some freedom of movement to reduce binding. Attach the other hook to the free end of the long chain. Adjust long chain length as required after finding the vertical lift "sweet spot." Normally, I position my boom at full lift, arm full in and use the bucket curl to lift the tracks carefully. Too much lift will break the chain if the tracks are tight. To use: Hook the short chain across a track pad located above or just past a carrier roller closer to the end of the track. Hook the end of the long chain to the bucket or other implement and carefully raise the track 2" - 12" depending on your slack adjustment. Be careful to get your long chain measured properly to get a vertical lift on the track to reduce binding. Result: You will have ample room to get a shovel between the track and the frame to clean out the mud and mess in big chunks and record time. You will need to lift from 2 positions on each track side to make the fastest work of this task. Loosen the clods from the inner side of the frame and then remove large slabs of dirt from the outer side of the track frame. I use this method whenever I've got a mess of heavy mud or caked in debris. During the dry months, my REDMAX backpack blower is usually sufficient for most of my track cleaning and all of the lowboy clean-up. Time is money and speed is critical!

  18. #18JimBruce422007-08-27 21:13

    I have to agree with the general consensus of cleaning (shoveling) tracks daily. Even on days where you're working in dry material and barely build any up, its an extra excuse to look for damage or wear. I've experienced the frozen track syndrome:Banghead That can make for a long (and cold) morning. The job I'm on now, we have 1 D9, 1 D8, 2 D6's, and 2 345's (with the variable u/c) to shovel out every night, and everyone helps eachother, even those of us that do not have tracks. Makes it go faster and if you've been in the mud its nice to have help:drinkup

  19. #19RonG2007-08-28 07:18

    I found a trick after decades of cleaning tracks that is not always an option but I avail myself of it when I can.If you can find a sandpile or an area with fines in it try to get the first layer on your undercarriage of sand and you will find that anything else that lands on top of that will not stick as bad and it can save you some time and sweat at the end of the day. It takes me a good hour to clean the tracks on a D8 and it would be nice to have any help I can get. Sometimes it is so cold that the undercarriage freezes during the day while you are working.....I don't even want to think about it!!LOL.Ron G

  20. #20BrianHay2007-08-29 03:36

    A trick I use whenever possible in the winter time is I pack my tracks full of snow first thing in the morning. It makes the shoveling at the end of the day way easier.

  21. #21biggixxerjim2007-08-29 17:18

    One thing I must say, is that it is BS for an operator to tell a laboror to "clean my tracks" while he writes out a ticket or whatever. An operator doesnt do the laborors dirty work, so why should a laboror do an operators dirty work???

  22. #22Tn Bulldog2007-08-30 22:57

    Amen my dad & granddad BOTH said if YOU RAN IT YOU CLEAN THE TRACKS OUT !!! They were firm belivers in this that way a labor could do something else :my2c later Bulldog

  23. #23Mr HMK2007-08-31 09:15

    Cleaning equipment in 5 minutes Click and learn How to clean your excavator in 5 minutes! Check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru-l4tYxtwc it's a HIDROMEK HMK220LC excavator

  24. #24Copenhagen2007-09-20 13:02

    Someday when we get some water here in Colorado, I might have to try that!

  25. #25fireman0502007-09-20 16:19

    the way i clean my tracks is load the machine on the lowboy and haul it over to the fire house and pull the pumper out and hook up to a hydrant and then pull a 2 1/2 inch attack line and get to cleaning

  26. #26RollOver Pete2007-09-21 00:05

    Other then the obvious, one of my biggest motivations for keeping my u/c clean is the joy I receive knowing that I gave all the top hand, lop-eared, grave sucking tractor drivers something else to talk about. :notworthy Yep.... Lazy people irritate me. :stirthepot

  27. #27Big Iron2007-09-23 10:14

    man, if fish and feathers here in Oregon caught me doing that i would still be in jail.:shf however it looks like it works just fine, if you don't get caught:naughty

  28. #28Digger1452007-10-16 09:06

    I do hope the drive motors weren't boiling hot when he went in there.... Otherwise the bucket mightn't be the only thing full of water.

  29. #29Dirtman20072007-10-16 18:12

    I clean the tracks off when the job is done. Working in deep mud most of the time it is useless to clean the tracks off before you go home, because they will get all dirty again the next day. It take me about an hour to shovel of the mud before the machine is mived to the next job. I bet there has been up 1500 pounds of mud caked on there before. When your working in the mud that is a deep as the top of the tracks it flows into every place you can think of

  30. #30EZ TRBO2007-10-16 19:01

    I agree with Dirtman, when working in muddy conditions(unless the temps are below freezing, which happens often in Wisconsin), it is best to just leave it go until you are all done. All it takes is about 10 feet of travel to have the UC full of mud again. Last winter, cleaned out a pond, it was best to clean them every night, very cold out. You think that mud is hard to clean, remember the pics of me cleaning out the manure lagoon? That stuff was nasty to clean out and worse when froze. Dad always had me cleaning quite well in the winter, would shut down the crushing plant an hour or so before dark and get all the lime off every bit off the lime mill, otherwise the next morning it would take over 3 hours to get going. As far as normal dirt and rocks, clean em off good before you move the machine, I've seen some good dents in my cousins Texas bumper on his Pete that are from big rocks falling off trailers with machines on them. Trbo

  31. #31cherokee1012007-10-19 01:34

    I clean mine every time I finish up for the day. I keep a small pinch bar and a trench cleaning spade on the machine. Mine are farm machines so when I finish a project they get water blasted before putting them back in the barn. It took me a long time to get my little collection of orphans and they are going to have to last a lot longer.

  32. #32Digger1452007-10-19 01:40

    I hear that! Just got quoted $2,215 each, plus tax and delivery for a wheel idler group/assembly.

  33. #33Dozerboy2007-10-20 19:40

    When working consistently in mud I only clean the track once a week as long as the rollers and such are still turning. We also readjust the tracks after there packed full of mud so there not overly tight. At times it isn't worth cleaning the tracks daily. If you can clean your tracks in 15/20 mins thats not cleaning thats dusting cleaning takes 1hr+. Sometimes I have the labors clean my tracks if I have any or there just standing around. There is always something more important for me to be doing and it not because I'm lazy.

  34. #34tylermckee2007-10-20 21:31

    If im in mud i only really clean them once a week or so, unless its freezing. By clean i mean i dig all the muck out and spin them around a few times, takes ~20 minutes. Not a road worthy cleaning. I stop and spin my tracks 'clean' pretty often when im running around in mud. I dont see whats wrong with having a labor clean out a set of tracks, thats what they are hired for laboring.