I was just looking around the net and found this case 9020B for sale. The counter weight looks like it was used for a demo job on cement. Then before seeing pics I read this. http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/350196-7.jpg http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/350196-2.jpg So any ways I'm just wondering how everyone thinks they bent the stick?? You would think the machines hyd system would go into releif before having the power to swing and bend that right??
Not to bash Case excavators but I think bent booms is common. One of the local contractors has a Case excavator I forget the size but its a 200 sized machine. They snapped the boom right off it got replaced with a boom off of a Linkbelt. I know the old boom on the excavator wasn't repairable so they bought a used boom and stick from a parts yard. Looks funny with a red and white boom and case orange machine. Running a rock breaker on a excavator finds all the weak links that machine could have seen breaker use for quite a few years.
i want to see more of this bent stick...
As Jim said, I'd like to see how the stick (or is it the boom?) is bent before making any guesses. I've seen twisted sticks before and summised that a wide bucket was side loaded or similar torsional stress applied. Relief valves will protect the hydraulic system to some degree but with the cylinders at stroke end they are ineffective especially when used in demolition.
Maybe it didn't bend itself, I have seen another excavator bend one it was working in tandem with.
I am looking for a used Service manual for a Case 9020B, can anyone help?
I seen an excavator that was on a float when the whole rig got creamed by a train at a crossing. Needless to say, that stick was bent....
Yep.....that would do it:lmao
LoL...yeah, there ain't no pressure relief for that!
If I had to buy a can of paint and brush out of my own pocket I would do it rather than operate something that ugly. People going by might think I did that damage.
I want to see more pics as well.
could be the boom could also be the boom twisted. "terracing" and walking off a level pad at full reach, down on to one that had a cross camber so that the bucket had a torsional twist load on it may do it too. just my 2 cents.
Twisting a boom or stick on any size excavator is a very simple affair and many excavators come with a special add on extra to achieve this Its a largish nut thing that is located midway between the pilot control levers and generally is balanced on the levelish soft thing called the seat. Some models are known to have the standing modification that has advanced so far it doesnt need to balance on the seat it can actually stand upright with just a little support gained from the padding. Thankfully many owners have not gone with this add on due to the cost implications although as the pictures show some owners think it worth the investment :Banghead I operated an Hitachi EX300 for almost a year and only found something wrong when a very large oversize grading bucket was pinned on. I swore the lugs were not level as it always seemed to be heavy on the right side when grading, then another operator told me the story of the machine being used to extract piles from the river. The machine was struggling and the boss instructed this other operator to give it some assistance with the FH220 he was operating. The unequal forces of the extra machine pulling to one side resulted in the dipper arm folding up like a baked bean can. I must give due credit to the guy who rebuilt it :notworthy it was only when I was shown to look down the length of the dipper from the top pin that I could just make out the very slight miss alignment.
Generally caused by using the boom as a hammer............sideways. "ooh look there is a wall I want to knock down, I know I'll just really quickly swing around and smash the bucket into it"
As stated earlier these Case machines including the later models are well known for this sort of thing. I know of one contractor bought a secondhand Case 210 last year and as it was dark and raining did not pay proper attention to the boom. Its first job off the low loader the fillers and paint fell out and had to be repaired. Neil
Have you tried Ebay, I know some members here have had good results finding manuals etc on there. Me too but I think we'll be out of luck as this thread just had its 2nd birthday last week
I had an "operator" do that with my 235 on his last day of work. Got the call that the stick just "fell off" and he had no idea why. A very short investigation later I found he had been swinging sideways into a masonary wall to knock it over. After a couple of good hits, the pin that holds the stick to the main boom snapped, and the stick dropped, pulling the lines for the bucket cylinder out by their roots. Fortunately there was no structural damage visible, so a new pin, some new bushings, and a couple of hoses and it was back digging. The lever puller had some time to think it over while he was out looking for a new job.
excavator abuse Look at the state of the ring gear on it ..
Stock That is painfull to watch. I had an operator that tried it that way once. I sent him packing, and the land developer next door hired him and gave him a new EX-750 to run. He treated it just like the video you posted. I once asked the developer about it and he said "It's cheaper than renting a hammer, and besides, it's a rental" I just shook my head at that one. Next time I was around the rental house, I let their service manager know, and he watched it, but did nothing at the time, bucause the developer was a major customer. I heard the damage bill has huge when the machine came back.
I'm not going to get into the abuse BS that some guys here that ALWAYS have the right "TOOL" for the job like to clame. I have seen a stick twist when the operator didn't grab onto a beam square with a shear.
I had a guy moving dirt away from a building one time. The windrow was piled so that the backhoe was pushing into the end of the windrow toward my barn. The windrow was piled away from the barn for obvious reasons. The barn has a 4' knee wall, 2x6 stud wall on top of that, and sheeted with steel. I don't need to tell you what i found when he was done. As the pile got smaller and there was less and less dirt to push into to fill the bucket, he used the barn wall to back up the dirt!!!! I went out there to find the concrete was sheared off, the stud wall pushed off the top of the wall, and the sheet metal all torn to ribbons. He didn't think anything of it. Its as close as i have ever come to breaking someones jaw. He was gone immediately.
electrical problems Case 9020B I have a 1998 Case 9020B with approx 7500 hours. When I purchased the machine is had an electrical problem. As soon as you turn the key to the on position it would blow the fuse. I tested all the wires and the red wire, accessory, had a dead short. I disconnected the wire and it did not blow the fuse. When I purchased the machine I had to jump the starter with a screw driver to start it. When I disconnected the red wire I could start it with the key, but have no display on the instrument panel. The previous owner would use a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to the battery relay and sometimes the instrument panel would light up and sometimes it would not but you could still operate the machine. I proceeded to search the short in the red wire. I traced it to the 1st connector behind the seat, pulled the plug apart and the red wire was good to there. From the connector the red wire from the key goes to a red wire with a yellow stripe. If you trace the wiring diagram this wire goes to many places. I started to disconnect each one, one at a time. I disconnected the wires at the alternator, still blew the fuse. Disconnected the wires at the battery relay, still blew the fuse. I am not an electrician and not particularly familiar with Case. Any suggestions?
here's a hyndai with a bent boom Pj
I would like to have another pic of that boom.Looking at it quick i wouldn't have looked twice.As far as the bend goes....i seen a brand new one fall off a slippy float and bend/twist that boom .It was a shame to see that fresh paint pop off that steel.Friday afternoon stuff ya know.....I also seen a person levelling ground in cold conditions break the boom/stick pin when moving rocks sideways.It is too bad about that Case machine though....if not for that boom,and a little paint on the counterweight, it could be in my backyard.
Case 9020B electrical problems I have a 1998 Case 9020B with approx 7500 hours. When I purchased the machine is had an electrical problem. As soon as you turn the key to the on position it would blow the fuse. I tested all the wires and the red wire, accessory, had a dead short. I disconnected the wire and it did not blow the fuse. When I purchased the machine I had to jump the starter with a screw driver to start it. When I disconnected the red wire I could start it with the key, but have no display on the instrument panel. The previous owner would use a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to the battery relay and sometimes the instrument panel would light up and sometimes it would not but you could still operate the machine. I proceeded to search the short in the red wire. I traced it to the 1st connector behind the seat, pulled the plug apart and the red wire was good to there. From the connector the red wire from the key goes to a red wire with a yellow stripe. If you trace the wiring diagram this wire goes to many places. I started to disconnect each one, one at a time. I disconnected the wires at the alternator, still blew the fuse. Disconnected the wires at the battery relay, still blew the fuse. I am not an electrician and not particularly familiar with Case. What would you suggest next?
PJ, was there another pic of that Hyndai after being pulled out? They must make them clylinders and pins some strong as the lift one i can see seems intact.Anyone else glad that they were too busy that day to go to the job he was going to do...........That poor float to.It would be better to get out of the truck after and start talking to birds......
Andy2794 post elsewhere to get you 3rd post then you can start a thread of your own .
Don't think your Boom Cyl's hung in there lol. was doing a little reading and they said it was only $135k to the bridge, I still dont believe it though, I would figure closer to 3Mill :beatsme and I hope I never have to find out Pj
Don't it make you feel bad though?
I wonder what happened to the lowboy driver?
Imagine driving on top of the bridge and seeing it being sheared right in front of you.
1998 Case 9020B electrical problems I have a 1998 Case 9020B with approx 7500 hours. When I purchased the machine is had an electrical problem. As soon as you turn the key to the on position it would blow the fuse. I tested all the wires and the red wire, accessory, had a dead short. I disconnected the wire and it did not blow the fuse. When I purchased the machine I had to jump the starter with a screw driver to start it. When I disconnected the red wire I could start it with the key, but have no display on the instrument panel. The previous owner would use a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to the battery relay and sometimes the instrument panel would light up and sometimes it would not but you could still operate the machine. I proceeded to search the short in the red wire. I traced it to the 1st connector behind the seat, pulled the plug apart and the red wire was good to there. From the connector the red wire from the key goes to a red wire with a yellow stripe. If you trace the wiring diagram this wire goes to many places. I started to disconnect each one, one at a time. I disconnected the wires at the alternator, still blew the fuse. Disconnected the wires at the battery relay, still blew the fuse. I am not an electrician and not particularly familiar with Case. What would you suggest next?
seen a D11 with a railway bridge on the cab.