Pretty interesting video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MifRyIsit9k Our local Cat rental store has one of these Merlos like the one in the video, I doubt they have the feller/saw head though. I could see where this machine could come in very handy in specialized situations, it eliminates a bucket truck and saw man.
First saw these folks around 7 years ago at a trade show, 3-400k best I remember. http://www.bigbeaverretreever.com
Yair . . . You would want your best operator on that . . . lots of different ways to break it. Imagine the twisting forces out on the end of that extended boom. It certainly works well in the awkward applications. Cheers.
Interesting.. I was waiting for it to flip over! Needs to have better guards on cab. I think the Unimpg with chipper is cool though!
That's what I was thinking as well. Those booms are built tough and can take some twisting moment but how would it perform day in and day out?
I'm thinking You best have a VERY competent operator. A LOT of ways to have to pick that thing back up off its roof. The mog with the chipper was the coolest part. I Looked into getting a Manitou rotating telehandler with a winch mounted on it like a crane for some work i was doing. I got a price on a used one that was $184K. I bought a boom truck instead
I did the same back in the mid 2000's for a town home project we were building. Like you, I got the price and stuck with a telehandler.:roll eyes: A machine like this on or the Manitou would be handier than a shirt pocket but the price is just too prohibitive.
In one of the scenes they cut a top and the violence of the twist it looked like a relief valve saved it. No control and hope nothing is underneath. Wouldn't make a week in the log woods but looks real handy in town.