I'm working on a snorkel 126 pro manlift. The envelope management system has the boom shut down. All the bells and whistles going off. I have never seen this system. Can anyone explain it or tell me what to check?
The envelope system prevents the lift from becoming unstable if the boom is extended beyond a certain point at a certain angle. Of course the extension is shorter at shallower angles and vise versa. First check that the axle extension switch is working, axles have to be extended to go beyond a certain angle or extension. Do you have one or two linear sensors under the boom at the pivot point ? They look like a tiny hydraulic cylinder. If you only have one then you need to have the factory do an update. Under the cover at the base of the boom are a couple of extension sensors, they look like cable reels, are the cables connected and not broken? There are two computers and they must agree in order to make the system work, one is the main the other is an auxiliary or back up. There is a panel in the right side compartment with a programming / reset, do a reset and see if it returns to normal.
Ah, you have one of those evil machine also!!!! Sorry to hear it! We have had the whole gambit of problems with this machine. If your axles are out all the way and locked i would open the lower EMS electrical box and on the door is a row of about 10 black relays. I think the second relay from the right is the one for the axles, i would check and make sure you have power there. If you do, next i would check the boom position sensors on the side of the boom directly above you if you are facing the EMS box (there is also one on the opposite side). I would rock them back and forth and maybe even spray with a little lube. Next if that doesnt work check the lower control rheostat, if that little needle is broken off and the thing can spin a full 360 degrees continuous then that could also be the problem. Try to slowly spin that and work the controls (if the machine faults turn the key off and on really quick and it should reset). I guess the first thing i should ask is that: Does it go into a fault right when you turn the key on or does it take you trying to raise or extend the boom? If it only faults when you are trying to run the boom then it would appear the EMS is doing its job (theoretically). If it faults when you are just turning the key on i would replace the upper battery, as this runs the EMS system. Good Luck!!!
The Ems sets as soon as I turn the key. Thanks for the info. It's way more than I got from snorkel.
I had that problem right off the bat when we bought ours. Attached is a picture of the relay we replaced inside the EMS box, it is located on the top right SIDE of the inner box. You could see on ours that the contactor was not grabbing all the way. I started the machine and pulled off the wires on both sides of the contact and visually inspected whether it was engaging or not....ours wasnt. I think the part was about $20.00. Again i would either replace or fully charge that upper battery and verify the existing one is still good and the connections are as well.
Barklee you are right about evil machine. Been all over this unit while talking to snorkel. Their diagnosis was resister bridge assembly(boom speed switch ). Well guess what that didn't fix it. I have checked voltage in a lot of different places. Now snorkel tells me I got to have a calibration harness cause unit is out of calibration. Anyone know away to get boom out of stowed position with our buying this high dollar harness I will only use one time? Called several equipment repair places to see if they could calibrate for me. Most replies were we don't work on them.
Finaly got back to that evil machine. Went through all the connections and switches. Talked to snorkel. Sent computers off to snorkel for testing. I hope for my sake they are the problem.
Moonlight, did the computers need replacing ? I have a similar machine, the display on the backup computer has two of the leds flashing at a rate of approx 10hz, but only faintly illuminated. I cannot get the boom to lower or retract by switches. Only manually bleeding will get it down. I too, have replaced the resistor bridge, but still only got minor improvements. I have tried to recalibrate the machine, but without proper boom control, this is impossible. I have tested the boom extension reels, boom angle sensors and all of the switches on the boom. Have also tested all relays, diodes. I am at the stage of requiring a breakout board to test the wiring harness at the base of computer, but these are very expensive for a one time use. So i ask the question, did you have any success with your machine and computer problems. any suggestions welcome, (i am considering the lighter and rag) Thanks
Outback. I sent computers off to have checked by snorkel. They said they where good. I never did really find out the problem. He had someone with more experience on this machine come and repair then sold it.
There is a guy at Snorkel who is a human dictionary on these machines. His name is Chuck, i would try him......