I have a case 1818 skid steer. Late 80s model it is a very tired machine, but the pumps do seem to work pretty well. One of the belts was really loose come to find out it was the wrong size so I changed all three belts on the Onan gas motor. When I disengage the clutch everything moves but there’s still tension on the belt enough that when the starter turns the pumps engage. When it’s cold outside the starter can’t even turn the engine on because the oil is too cold. What I’m looking for is a way to adjust the clutch mechanism over and above the normal cable adjustment because those are all the way out. Help!
Not only does the bracket that the cable from your lever is adjustable, the plates that the pumps bolt to are adjustable. I would think you would have to start over on all of the adjustments when changing the belts. We had to do that on the 1816model.
That sounds like a great solution. The plates have a slot in them and they seem to be moving the full range of travel. I think you are saying the pump itself is adjustable on the plate. If that os the case that would likely give enough travel to make it work. Am I correct?
The pump itself does not pivot. The plate moves on those slotted hole that you see. You should see where another plate is adjustable where the cable and arms attach. They call it the "belt tension controls". There are two adjusting bolts there also. The cable adjusts too.
I think I understand what you are saying. I will look at it again today and see if I can see the bracket adjustment that you reference. I am truly appreciative of your help. I have adjusted the cable as far out as I can get it to go, so any additional adjustment would be great. The left side pump seems to be disengaging just fine. Only the right seems to be holding on... The "Belt Tension Control" you reference would be a welcome sight. I don't remember seeing anything like that, but I have missed things like that before. I will let you know what I come up with. You seem to be pretty familiar with this machine. I am new to this forum. do they allow us to exchange info without getting blocked or kicked off of the site? I would love to send you some pictures of the mechanism and see if my feeble brain can make any sense out of it.
The 1818 was to new for me. I worked on the older 1816's back in the day. I hope the file can be seen here. Plate number 16 and adjusting bolts number 32 are what you are looking for along with the pump plates. I don't what info can be shared here.
OK I mis understood what you were talking about. I backed those all the way out so that the plate 16 is about 1/8" off of the cross member or whatever part it is that it bolts on to with #17..... I assume this is the correct direction for the adjustment. If I turn the adjustment screws in wouldn't that raise the plate up and wouldn't that make the pump move/dis-engage less distance?
I can't help you on the adjustment on that part, the 1816's are different. In the past when we didn't know how to adjust something, we would adjust something one direction and if it didn't work, we would go the other direction. Play around with it and you should get to work. You may have the wrong belts. Early and late machines used different length of belts.
Do any of you guys know if the belts control the lift of the bucket?