I have a 2019 CAT 299D3 XE that I purchased used. After purchasing it, I found out that the auto leveling and float functions are not working. The switch lights up green when I switch it on, but the icon never shows up on the advanced display and it doesn't work. There are no codes showing in the display. On doing a bunch of searching, I found mention that some people don't use this feature and so if a problem happens with it, like a sensor going bad, they will just have the CAT dealer "turn it off" in the software. What would I need to be able to verify if this has been done to my machine or otherwise diagnose the problem? I see code readers on amazon for $500 but don't know if they just read the codes which are already available with the in-machine display or if it would enable me to see if the float/auto level function has been disabled and turn it back on.
You need someone (not necessarily a dealer) to hook up ET to the machine and look at the ECM parameters configuration. That will indicate if a specific parameter is activated or not. Getting into the Config is not the same as reading Codes. The parameters you are interested in do not require dealer-level ET in order to change their status, Customer ET will work just fine to turn them on and off. Depending on where you are located in PA there are a couple of HEF members who might be able to assist you. Post a Serial Number as well. There are a lot of different 299D models out there.
Thank you for the response. The serial number is BX900623. It's a 299D3 XE. It's actually not in PA right now but rather up at our property in NY near Binghamton. I'm not familiar with "ET", is that a scan tool? How much does it cost and where can I get one? If they're not too ridiculous, it might be worth buying as I also have a CAT 304 mini excavator.
ET is Electronic Technician, Cat's electronic diagnostic software. It's not cheap even for a customer version. First you have to supply the laptop to run the software on, then there is a one-off purchase cost ($800.?) and an annual licence fee ($500.?), lastly you need a Comunication Adapter ($1150.?) to allow the laptop to talk to the machine. Figures in brackets are approximate but probably not too far away from actual at 2024 prices. If I am wildly wrong I hope someone will jump in and correct me. For only two machines I would say the potential cost does not outweigh the rewards. You need to track down a local indpendent mechanic equipped with ET close to the machine location. Your other potential option is to trailer the machine to a dealer and have them work on it at their shop to save on mileage/minimum hours charges for a service tech + truck. eBay link to a Comms Adapter.
It might be a stupid question but is the magnet close enough to the self-level limit switch to trigger the system.?
Sorry for the delay in responding and thank you very much for your help. I've so far been unable to find anyone other than the CAT dealer so maybe I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay to have it hauled there and diagnosed. I'll check that magnet the next time I'm at the site where the machine is located. I also found a CAT test adapter and software on amazon... is this the same thing you were talking about? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CP3VWKXD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A19V8BS98WD5YV&th=1
That appears to be it, most probably non-genuine at the quoted price. Will it work.? Toss a coin and bear in mind support from the seller will likely be non-existent if you experience problems.
Yeah, I think I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I can likely get my money back from Amazon if the seller flakes out on me.
Any update on this adventure??
The adapter/software is supposed to show up this week. I'm hoping to go up to our property where the machine is at next week and we'll see if I wasted $300.
Excellent. Keep us in the loop.
Any update on the software?
Sorry for the delay in responding, but yeah, the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true...." The adapter seemed fine, though I never got to test it. The software CD that came with it had the CAT logo and all the right copyright labels etc... then I ran a virus scan on it and it came up with 3 different viruses in the various files on the CD... I contacted the seller and they said "trust me, there aren't viruses on it, just go ahead and install it"... I asked if this was software from CAT... and they said yes it's from CAT... but it's a cracked version of the software. So pirated as could have been guessed by the price, was really just surprised that they admitted it. Either way, I wasn't willing to install their software with it reporting viruses, so I returned the whole thing.
Can you share vendor? PM me if you don’t want to post public reply.
It's on Amazon, but the "sold by" is "OBD-DATA Store". A link to the amazon page is above in the history of this thread.
Thanks. Didn’t want to make same mistake.
I sent you a PM I can definitely help you out !
For anyone wanting help with diagnostic software AristoTruckTech can definitely help you. I sent my Toughbook to Alex and now have SIS and Cat ET 2024A 1.1. Outstanding communication and he is dedicated to this field. He is also in the USA!!!!!!