Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

279D LOTS of codes.

Jonathan Burnett · 2024-05-27 13:26

Started out awhile back not holding charge on Battery. So replaced Battery and thought codes were related to that. Not too long after alternator went so replace it also. Checked Grounds and cleaned up at this time... Now when I started I get 2 codes off the start and after awhile I get a LOT more. Initial ones are usually 3700-4. LOADER BUCKET INCLINOMETER SENSOR VOLTAGE BELOW NORMAL E60032-2 PLEASE REFER TO MANUAL FOR DESCRIPTION Never really worried about them as was not a issues for the machine. I tried to get software update but Dealer want crazy money to pull display and flash. Hope to someday find a person with CAT that can hook me up with the Software update. So now the Light on the display with Triangle with ! in middle came on and stayed Solid. Checked all fluids, air filter, etc, etc and comes on and stays on. Now I get all these codes after running for awhile. So many and lots are are electrical so would think maybe bad ground? Display always shows 14+ volts ones started.. Now wonder if ECM or my programing so old it needs updated? Product ID GTL02567 ECM part number 3693556-02 ECM serial 1585P050PU Software Group Part 5836260-00 MAY2019 CTL 279D GTL1-up Tier IV Also ECM Partnumber 4664940-01 Serial 16658106XM Software Group 4806649-00 MAY2015 SSL ADV. Display Also Product ECM Part 4402105-09 Serial 1815S182YD Software Group Part 6116399-00 DEC 2021 PL641_2021_12_21 App Software 5879371-00 E60032-2​ PLEASE REFER TO MANUAL FOR DESCRIPTION​ 167-4​ PLEASE REFER TO MANUAL FOR DESCRIPTION​ 3700-4​ LOADER BUCKET INCLINOMETER SENSOR VOLTAGE BELOW NORMAL​ 3700-8​ LOADER BUCKET INCLINOMETER SENSOR ABNORMAL FREQUENCY PUSLE WIDTH OR PERIOD​ 3700-3​ LOADER BUCKET INCLINOMETER SENSOR VOLTAGE BELOW NORMAL​ 41-4​ 8 VOLT DC SUPPLY VOLTAGE BELOW NORMAL​ 91-3​ THROTTLE PPOSITION SENSOR VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL​ 96-3​ FUEL LEVEL SENSOR VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL​ 350-3​ LIFT LINAGE POSITION SENDOR VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL​ 458-3​ TILT CYLINDER ROD END PRESSURE SENDORE VOLTAGE ABOVE NMORMA.​ 1076-3​ ENGINE COOLING FAN BYPASS SOLENOID VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL​ 2204-3​ AUXILARY LEVER #1 POSITION SENSOR VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL​ 2785-3​ ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL​ Anyone have any idea where to start? SO many codes I would not even begin to guess where to troubleshoot. Again makes my HDHD computer brain thing Groud, power, ECM, but could be missing something. THANKS in advance. If anyone can hook me up with Software to update from CAT I can spread some love!!! JJ

Replies25
  1. #1Nige2024-05-27 13:44

    I guess the first question is - Are all the Codes in your list Active.? We have to start some where so the software seems to be as good a place as any seeing as you asked. Engine: 5836260-00 - latest available P/N. Display: 4806649-00. Updates to 5032816. Three improvements listed with the update are as follows:- Added capability to enable Machine Security through the display. Allows the backup camera to utilize the full screen width. Supports the addition of a dedicated alert indicator (revised display) for the cold weather starting aid. (This is related to the E60032-2 message which simply indicates the engine is in Cold Mode at first startup. When the coolant temp warms up the message disappears.) Machine: 6116399-00. Please re-check. This is a BAD number. 6116399 comes up as a Hydraulic Arrangement for an excavator.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2024-05-27 14:11

    If all of those codes are active you may want to start by checking all the ground connections on the machine

  3. #3Nige2024-05-27 14:26

    Regarding the 3700 Codes for the inclinomoter sensor these are fixable but are also very common. The usual cause is a harness issue very close to the sensor. To confirm what I posted above regarding 6116399.

  4. #4Nige2024-05-27 14:28

    Did you check them all.? Especially the ones between the cab and the machine chassis and also between the engine and the chassis.? The cab ground for example is inaccesible without raising the cab.

  5. #5Jonathan Burnett2024-05-28 15:41

    Codes are cleared then on startup the 2, then after running for awhile then all the codes. Also seems to run ok, but after a few hours starts to lack some power not a miss or dieing but 1/2 that power it should have.... About that time I call it a day and shut her down and check codes. Then the list of them is there Here is the info. I might have added the wrong one as I was playing with CAT ET at first and had it in training mode. Then realized and pulled the true data. (CAT et not a lot of help as I was using a friends and he has a knock off clone of NEXIQ and was only working in one way, Pulling data. HAD THIS error, I figured out it was the knock off NEXIQ "The following ECM (Machine Control 226 **INCOMPLETE**) is intended to be services on two data links simultaneously. The ECM was detected on the CDL data link. The ECM was not detected on the J1939 data link." I ordered a new CAT COMM 3 genuine one so hope it will allow me to troubleshoot deeper. Going to check all the grounds again.. [ECM Summary-Product Link Pro (GTL02567)]​ 4402105-09​ Application Software Part Number​ 5879371-00​ ECM Part Number​ 4402105-09​ ECM Serial Number​ 1815S182YD​ Equipment ID​ SS379-501​ Machine Serial Number​ SS379-501​ Product ID​ GTL02567​ Software Group Description​ PL641_2021_12_21​ Software Group Part Number​ 6226399-00​ Software Group Release Date​ Dec2021​

  6. #6Jonathan Burnett2024-05-28 15:45

    No No, just Frame to battery, and battery to engine. I will open her tonight or tomorrow and check and clean them up. Thanks,

  7. #7Nige2024-05-28 19:52

    Again, both are the latest available Part Number. Out of four ECMs you have the latest software in three of them and in the 4th the difference is so minor it's not worth getting bent out of shape over. I would opine that you do not have software issues. When I saw your OP with the layout and spelling mistakes the first word that went through my mind was "NEXIQ". Their system does not seem to play well with Cat electronics and, let's be fair, if NEXIQ can't get something basic like spelling right what else are they not getting right.? When you get your Comms Adapter, hook ET up to the machine and download a Product Status Report (PSR). This LINK should give you all the info you need to do it. Just remember to click the "Select All" button to include all ECMs and when the PSR has downloaded on to the laptop screen click the "Save As" button and save a copy in Adobe pdf format. The default version is a .XML file which is no good at all for diagnostic purposes. Once you have your PSR downloaded, post it up here and let us all have a look at it. Oh, and don't go clearing Codes any more before you get the PSR done. In fact leave the Codes as they are without clearing for now.

  8. #8Nige2024-05-28 20:42

    You did receive the electrical schematic OK.?

  9. #9Jonathan Burnett2024-05-29 08:49

    No, please send again. THANKS!

  10. #10Nige2024-05-29 09:14

    Look in the top RH corner of the main screen for an envelope icon. It should be red indicating that you have an unread message. I sent it to you 2 days ago.

  11. #11Nige2024-05-30 14:03

    Circling back on your E60032-2 Event and the fact that the Display ECM is the only one on the machine that does not have the absolute latest software installed - below is what the E60032-2 Event looks like on the display with the updated software.

  12. #12Jonathan Burnett2024-05-30 14:20

    Thanks, Have had lots of rain here. Will be this weekend before I can check ground on the Skid. Hope my Cat COMM 3 is here by then also. Now to figure out how to get 2024 ET as I only have 2019 ET.. All my machines are order then 19 so has not been issues. Just hope moving to CAT COMM 3 plays well with 2019 ET... Thanks again for all your help so far and future help!

  13. #13Jonathan Burnett2024-06-04 20:08

    CAT comm 3 came in today and was able to pull report. Looks like nothing jumping out except it still seems to lean towards ground, electrical issues. Especially when most of them all hit at once. Never was able to lift cab and check ground. HOPE work allows me too soon. Even the "Hydraulic Tank Filter Plugged" that keeps showing up is an old code. With over 500 hours ago and was before I changed it out. Not sure why it still showing up. Only thing I can think of when I clear it from the display its not really clearing it and pops back up. Thanks

  14. #14Nige2024-06-04 20:44

    One thing you may not be aware of. 127 instances of a Code/Event is the maximum quantity that the ECM can log, although it will still give the correct information regarding the Diagnostic Clock hours for the first and last Code/Event no matter how many instances it records. What I would suggest now is that you erase as many of the Logged Codes & Events as the machine will permit. Certain ones may ask for factory passwords so you will not be able to erase them. Once you have done that then download another PSR. That will form your reference point goping forward for a certain date/Diagnostic Clock hour reading. Anything that appears in the list of Codes/Events after that PSR was downloaded is a new Code/Event. It's easy enough to check. FYI most dealer techs will pull a PSR before they touch anything on the machine then pull another one when they complete whatever work they were doing. It's protocol and TBH a good idea.

  15. #15Chrisso2024-06-06 07:59

    Makes it so much easier when a PSR is uploaded. Disregarding all the codes that have 1 occurance (not worth worrying about), and disregarding all the low voltage events (common as anything), I have a few comments/questions... 1) About those E879 (1) hydraulic filter plugged events back at 1228 hours, what was the cause of those? Your answer could be important. 2) Inclinometer sensor. Remove attachments, find the sensor on the quick coupler bulkhead and disconnect it... Disconnecting will induce a 3700-3 voltage above normal code. Does it? Or do you still have the -4 voltage below normal active? Leaving the sensor disconnected, measure voltage between yellow and white, should have a smidge under 8 volts. Does it? Measure voltage between white and blue wires. Should have just under 5 volts (called pullup voltage). Does it? Bridge the white and blue wires with some spare wire. This will induce a -4 voltage below normal code. Does it? If all of those check out fine, your wiring and ECM are perfect. If you plug it back in, and the -4 becomes active again, your inclinometer sensor is shot. 3) Fuel level sensor. Start by wiggling the connector at the fuel tank. Does the level on the display flutter? Use the schematic Nige sent you and test the continuity of those wires back to the ECM, report findings. 4) About the low power issue. Are you familiar with checking fuel pressures? Will need to check low side with a mechanical gage first, followed by checking desired versus actual rail pressures in ET. Best to do this at the time it's faulting.

  16. #16Jonathan Burnett2024-06-18 10:41

    Cleared everything and pulled the sensor for bucket, its rusted, cracked and looks like hell. So going to replace it. When I looked up for part number I am seeing one that does not match. The other one from cat does not show a picture. Anyone happen to have the part number for it? If not I can call the dealer.. thanks for all help so far.

  17. #17Nige2024-06-18 10:56

    Does your sensor look like the #5 highlighted on the attachment.? Part Number is 247-4818. If not post a photo.

  18. #18Chrisso2024-06-18 19:43

    Do you know how expensive that sensor is? Rusty/matted or not, it just has to work.

  19. #19Tyler d4c2024-06-18 21:31

    There about 400 bucks

  20. #20Chrisso2024-06-18 21:56

    Well the p/n Nige mentioned is the sensor up on top of the load frame and it's AU$1500 down here. The one on the coupler bulkhead is over AU$650. Either one is worth more than the car I drive to work.

  21. #21Nige2024-06-19 02:51

    Reading this again I’m convinced that you are looking at the wrong sensor. To definitely identify it note the wire colours and numbers on the machine side of the harness connected to the sensor and report back.

  22. #22Nige2024-06-19 02:54

    Which is the one that generates the CID 3700 Codes. I think the OP’s description is referring to the sensor on the quick coupler bulkhead and if it is he’s looking in the wrong place.

  23. #23Jonathan Burnett2024-06-21 18:46
  24. #24Jonathan Burnett2024-06-21 18:50

    Yea looks like I am on the wrong sensor. Will have time Sunday to check item 5. Thanks

  25. #25Tyler d4c2024-06-21 19:24

    That's the sensor that's 400 bucks or so