Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cold Day On the Operators Seat

Metalman 55 ยท 2015-01-10 14:12

Just came in from clearing a bush trail & man was it cold on the operators seat! Heavy snow squalls here.

Replies15
  1. #1blademan1502015-01-10 14:35

    A canvas heat tube and some card board or canvas and you'd be toasty warm. Still have a couple heat tubes up above in my garage even though I retired a few years ago......Clyde

  2. #2Dickjr.2015-01-10 14:42

    NASA space suit comes to mind. That's a nice looking tractor.

  3. #3Metalman 552015-01-10 14:52

    Only problem is I have a pusher fan & it is blowin the heat out the front! Otherwise your idea would be a good one for sure!

  4. #4Metalman 552015-01-10 14:55

    I had a few layers on so it was not too bad. I just came in & we are making a nice big pot of soup on the stove right now. It is a nice old tractor & a real gem to operate. I only put about 100 hrs. on her per year, mostly just doing work on our property.

  5. #5D6 Merv2015-01-10 15:11

    dozer looks good metalman, very tidy; but the funny white stuff is totally foreign stuff to me; I never ever see it ! lol I think I would just have to admire the view from the safety of the couch in front of the fire ! Heres a pic from 2 weeks ago from the sunshine, 80f, at the bottom of the world :drinkup

  6. #6Metalman 552015-01-10 15:25

    Go ahead Merv....rub it in! We will have to wait another 5 months to get temps like that here; 2 1/2 more months of the snow here at least! Well to compensate we are making this pot of "Turkey Bacon Chowder" up. It is very good & we tend to make it a few times over the long winter! It really sticks to yur ribs!

  7. #7digger242j2015-01-10 18:41

    Are the fan blades not reversible?

  8. #8Dickjr.2015-01-10 19:14

    Most heat tubes are for pusher fans. They have a collection plenum in the front of the radiator guard that funnels the air into a tube. I have made them before using sheet metal and a 8" duct take off then to 8" flex duct. Tape the ends well to keep the fiberglass off of you. They work well , retains engine heat , and warms the operator. You can even put a blanket over the operating platform let the duct blow under it to keep warm. You know , with my survival skills I might be able to make it in the great North. These heat tubes , you would be surprised how much heat you get.

  9. #9Dickjr.2015-01-10 19:17

    http://www.networkscanning.com/stor...u-john-deere-case-bull-dozer_251718094365.jpg An example , very simple.

  10. #10Metalman 552015-01-10 19:59

    It is not a reversible type fan. One direction only.

  11. #11old-iron-habit2015-01-10 20:02

    My 9U has reversible fans but they are after market. I am not sure when Cat started making them.

  12. #12zbo22015-01-10 21:11

    damn that's some good looking soup....

  13. #13Metalman 552015-01-10 22:14

    Good idea.

  14. #14caterpillarmech2015-01-11 08:30

    I know when my dad was trenching in New Mexico during the winter. All the hands went to town and bought plywood and plexi glass for the old Cleavland machines they were on. At least there homemade cabs would keep the wind off of them.

  15. #15ippielb2015-01-11 23:51

    Here in Saskatchewan we've had -40 windchills for the past 3 weeks. Wednesday is suppose to get up to 0 degrees. I am running a brand new D8T. I have to turn the vent on cold, and turn on the cooled seat so i don't melt. That thing has the best heater ever.