Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cold start assist Perkins need advice

Therapydoc · 2018-11-17 16:30

I’m needing to improve my cold start ability on my JCB hoe with a Perkins 104.40T engine. Engine serial is AB50364 if that matters. As far as I can tell it doesn’t appear to have a thermostart or intake heater installed. What does it take to install one of these new or can I install a block heater in a freeze plug? Not sure what that entails either. Anyone else have one of these engines and have experience with either of these devices ? (I do have 110v usually to plug the backhoe in overnight if that’s the easier method. In the pictures, I’m not real sure what these plugs are for if you can give me any advice. They are in front of the radiator just behind the mesh screen.

Replies16
  1. #1Vetech632018-11-17 17:20

    If you have a good small flat spot on your engine block, you can get a magnetic electric heater at a lot of auto parts stores. I have used them on small engines and they have worked well in the past. Its kind of like an iron, and sticks tto the side of the engine block, then all you do is plug it in. Simple , quick, and cost effective.

  2. #2Tinkerer2018-11-17 17:40

    I cannot help you with identifting those plugs. But, you can download the service manual here ---> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8gdL-Y3uULdRGhIeUZQWURPNjA/view

  3. #3Delmer2018-11-17 18:03

    the magnetic heater is the easiest. It will probably be plenty for Missouri, you probably aren't going to do much work if it's 10 degrees out anyway. Unless you're the water department and that's when all your broken pipes happen, then get a block heater. You find out which core plug is recomended, get the heater, drain the coolant, pull the plug out, put the heater in, refill the coolant and hope it doesn't leak. The other option is a tank heater that's connected with heater hoses so that it thermosiphons the warm water to the engine, they're usually higher wattage than core plug block heaters, and they have to be because they lose more heat to the air.

  4. #4Therapydoc2018-11-17 19:57

    Where on the side of the engine do you place it? I have large area on the right side. All the fuel stuff is on the left side of that matters. I’m assuming you’re referring to the actual block for placement. Sounds easy enough if it works

  5. #5Therapydoc2018-11-17 19:58

    Thanks that’s for newer 4cx. Mr Ed already hooked me up with my older manual but I don’t have one for the engine itself to get part numbers and all

  6. #6Therapydoc2018-11-17 20:02

    Can anyone identify the greenish blue plug in the one picture? It goes down into whatever that piping is. I’m guessing it’s something with the coolant system. So not super familiar identifying parts on a Diesel engine.

  7. #7Tinkerer2018-11-17 21:23

    Looks to me like a coolant heater. Unscrew it and take a look at it.

  8. #8Delmer2018-11-17 22:28

    If that was a coolant heater then the coolant would circulate up into the radiator, not the engine. I'm GUESSING it's an oil coolerr, there's a circular heat exchanger inside that outer tube, the two smaller hoses are transmission/hydraulic oil, and the blue plug is a sensor. Check the ohms cold and again hot, I bet it varies dramatically. A heater wouldn't vary dramatically from freezing to boiling. Or maybe that is a metal tube and the oil is on the outside and the coolant goes through the inside, either way, it's a coaxial heat exchanger to cool the oil with the coolant out of the bottom of the radiator.

  9. #9tool_king2018-11-17 22:42

    What is the serial number of the backhoe ? I can look it up in the parts manual online in JCB.

  10. #10motoOzarks2018-11-17 23:59

    Does it crank over the same speed when cold as it does warmed up? Meaning make sure you are spinning it when its cold.

  11. #11Therapydoc2018-11-18 09:02

    Serial number removed at member's request Thank you

  12. #12Therapydoc2018-11-18 09:05

    Im not real sure what you’re asking but no it doesn’t crank over as well when it’s below freezing outside. It’s kept in a shop but not heated or insulated. I put it on a charger when it’s cold to help with starting. But still cranks pretty slow on charger

  13. #13Tinkerer2018-11-18 10:36

    The parts book shows a tank type heater as an option. That defiantly eliminates a factory installed block heater. I think.Maybe All I could find was a straight pipe in the parts book where that oil cooler is. What weight oil do you have in the engine ?

  14. #14Therapydoc2018-11-18 10:43

    Gotcha. Definitely don’t see that anywhere

  15. #15Birken Vogt2018-11-18 11:28

    I have piles of generator take off tank heaters here free for anybody that wants them...they are plastic, don't know if they are good for HE. Just pay the freight.

  16. #16Therapydoc2018-11-18 15:06

    M Pm sent