Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cold weather got me – where to find manuals?

4P-PFR ยท 2017-01-04 11:01

I recently acquired a D5C (9DL00614) for work around the ranch and failed to verify the antifreeze protection level before winter. After returning from a few weeks away from home, I began to check things out and found the radiator very low. When refilling the coolant, it seemed to be taking a lot of fluid and then I noticed coolant coming through the crankcase vent. Doesn't sound good at all.... I anticipate this being some expensive 'experience'. :Banghead So - before I begin opening the engine up (3046 - 5xk02075 arr 6I3537) I would like to find parts and service manuals for this machine and would like some input on where to get these books at a reasonable price. Hope you all have a great 2017!

Replies3
  1. #1DMiller2017-01-04 11:07

    Got to check a-freeze, even in summer as it is a corrosion control too. Check with your local Cat dealer if they have manuals or go on ebay. I got my last books off fleabay and not too bad a price just old and greasy!

  2. #2Old Magnet2017-01-04 12:07

    Not likely to be cheap!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-Caterpi...794714?hash=item2ef948d1da:g:KXIAAOSw4GVYUvqG

  3. #3Dickjr.2017-01-04 16:32

    If the block is ruined , no freeze plugs , I'd opt for a running take out , and open it up while its out and take a look , maybe freshen it up a bit. Aren't these Mitsubishi engines? PM me , I may have an outlet on a used engine.