this summer i bought my kobelco 130 and didn't really think about winter at the time. just wondering if it has a block heater you are supposed to plug it in like we do our tractors when it gets cold. it has a cummins in it. it started the other day no prob at 15 degrees... now it is getting down below 0 at night. (haven't found a plug in yet) also... what model of cummins would be in it? i cant quite read the nameplate as it faces the counterweight. looks to be a ....3.6 maybe? (its a 98 sk 130 lc mark iv) thanks
It might not if it is a modern machine. But you better put some #1 (kerosene) or at least anti-gel in it at 0F, or you won't get very far when the water in your straight #2 turns to ice.
I don't know where you're at, and how cold it gets there, but this is my winterizing procedure for Pelletiers up here in the North Maine Woods. :Cut your fuel 50% diesel, 50% kero. Change fuel filters out for new ones, wrap them with reflective insulation, as well as the lines. I've had them freeze up from incoming outside air from the engine fan. Wrapped them in that reflective insulation, never had a problem since. I change the engine oil to 0W-40, from 15W-40 summer oil. Change the hydraulic oil as well. Not sure on that viscosity, we get ours in bulk and it just says "Winter Grade" on it. Another feature my 320 has on it is a hydraulic pump clutch bypass, which doesn't turn the hydraulic pump when starting, makes it easier to start the engine. Believe you can get it right through Cat. Flip a lever, and she's disengaged. Also have an "ether bomb" installed for those really cold (-30) mornings. When she's that cold, I let her warm up for about 30-40 minutes with the hydraulic pump running, to cycle the fluid. Where I work, we don't have block heaters. Nearest extension cord is at Telos camps where I stay, so we go an extra mile as far as "winterizing" our equipment as it's left out on the jobsite in the middle of the woods. Coldest I've seen it here was -42F at 3am, and she still started. Oh one more thing. Check your batteries AND your terminals. We replace ours every year, right before the frost hits. This is all I can think of right now, been up since 1am plowing snow, and now getting ready for bed. Hope this helps you. Shawn "La Vie De Bois" (Life in the woods).
Hey Shawn!, Have they made any more of that excellent tv program on your outfit?
Yeah, they are still filming. So far I've heard its definitely one more season, possibly two more. Airing new episodes this spring, haven't heard on the release date though. I'll keep you guys posted.