I need a new slip tank for diesel, and would like one with an integrated def tank I'm having a hard time finding such a tank. I've found one maker, but wondering what others have done? I want a 110 gallon diesel tank, smaller tanks won't work. This will be going inside a regular pickup bed, not a flatbed. Any suggestions?
I don't know about that idea. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Especially if you are pumping fuel when really tired, or if some hired helper is doing it. I don't think I have seen anyone offer this, yet. Used to be one available that was split 50/50, gas one side and diesel on the other. It was not that big though. Jeff
Seen a few 50/50 or 70/30 splits but not too common. Might be better off getting one custom made. I got a custom 90 gallon aluminum one that fits under box cover it was $1300, not much more then a generic one and it's made out of much thicker aluminum.
How often do you drain out your fuel tank? Seems like every year when we pull the tanks from the truck beds there is always crap at the bottom. Do you really want to do that to your def system?
Thunder Creek makes one, they make the portable fuel/ lube trailers. Isn't contamination and shelf life a huge issue in DEF? I don't actually run anything with DEF- I'm just going by what I've read. And what I've read suggests bulk and transfer tanks isn't the way to go. Straight from smaller sealed containers and fresh is best. Also- wouldn't the DEF transfer tank have to have a heater element in it also to keep it from freezing?
Thats why I posted here, as I hadn't thought of the def freezing. My def needs are fair weather so far, so freezing hasn't been a problem yet.
How much DEF do you use on a regular basis? So far we've stuck with the totes (on edit the 2.5 gal jugs/boxes) but only have 3 pickups and 2 pieces of iron running DEF so it's manageable. We have small quadcomm boxes which are 4x8 mini-conex boxes we have on site that we store a box or two of DEF in out of the sun. Our policy is to use the entire box of DEF and if there is any left pour it out. It's not worth the risk of contamination. When the time comes I'll probably go with a Thunder Creek type fuel/DEF/service type trailer set up. For a DEF tank doesn't it have to be plastic or stainless?
I think having DEF fluid in a slip tank would be very prone to contamination and/or excess condensation if left in the tank for awhile. Have read a few horror stories with bad or contaminated DEF on here. I think the recommendation is straight from the original container to the DEF tank on the vehicle. I think some of the truck stops have DEF pumps now so not sure how they guarantee cleanliness?
Big usage is in the fall, where we may use up to 20 gallons a day, along with 400 gallons of diesel. I've got that covered, as I put a 275 tote on a flatbed truck along with a 1000 gallon diesel tank. Spring is more of a problem, as the flatbed truck is busy on other tasks. Usage isn't nearly as great, maybe 150 diesel and 5 gallons of def. Most of the time in the spring we can get back to the shop to refuel and redef with maybe just a couple of 2 1/2 jugs while away. Everything else is incidental usage at this point, but another machine will become a def machine for next spring. Maybe I'll buy one of the "L" shaped tanks for the pickup. Then I can put the air compressor on top of the base. There are some 20-40 gallon def tanks that I need to look into for spring usage.
The only other thing I read was to try to keep it out of the sun. I don't know how that works with a tote, maybe a tarp to cover it?
That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and very expensive since the slip tank would need to be stainless.
Terex sounds like a Thunder Creek trailer would fit the bill. Diesel and DEF on one trailer.