Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Log splitter conversion to electric hydraulic.

obsolete ยท 2022-06-12 13:20

I have a Gearmore 3 point tractor driven log splitter, that I use on my Kubota B20, it works fine, the drawbacks are, its slow because it's single stage running off the tractor hydraulics, noisy sitting next to the tractor, uses fuel and wear on the tractor. My thought is to build or buy a electric hydraulic unit suitable for this, I do all my splitting next to my barn, the splitter is easily moved with the tractor, the splitter is already set up with quick disconnects, so it would be easy to have a hydraulic unit that hangs on the splitter or near by and could be removed for other uses and inside storage. The hydraulic cylinder is about 4" ID, 24" stroke and the current force it produces with the tractor is plenty. Has anyone got any advise, seen something like this or know of the proper parts available, I see lots of power units available, but nothing that fits this requirement, plenty of parts available, just thought I would ask before buying parts to build. I have 120/240V single and 240v 3ph available, but would prefer to stay with single phase. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Jonas3022022-06-12 13:50

    Some very handy calculators here Also a great source of parts https://www.surpluscenter.com/Tech-Help/Hydraulics/Calculators/Pump-Disp-HP-GPM-RPM/ Using the three phase would be better in everyday other than taking it to another location I have thought of doing this but my power is in the wrong spot On single phase it would probably be a 7.5hp motor driving a 16 gpm two stage pump gives an extension time of 5 inches per second in second stage at 4 gpm 1.2 inches per second Unless your into really nasty stuff it will stay in first stage most of the stroke

  2. #2obsolete2022-06-12 14:21

    When comparing the calculations from the Surplus Center to what is used on a hydraulic/electric splitter offered here, the difference is huge for the same force? and from what I see and understand, most gas log splitters in the 22-25 ton range use a 6 to 7 hp engine, which would be equivalent to a 2 to 4 hp electric motor? https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/..._content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

  3. #3Delmer2022-06-12 14:24

    I bolted up a 3HP electric motor to an existing single stage pump that had a dead 8HP Briggs originally, could have easily used a 2HP. The electric motor is 1,800 RPM so twice the torque at half the speed for the same HP, also electric has a torque curve that will put out nearly double the power for short periods, which is why surplus center says: "Calculated for electric motors. Double this figure for gas engines." By that rule, and with a half speed motor, a 2HP electric will easily do the job an 8HP gas did, if you don't mind the slower speed. I have the controls hold, so I'm plenty busy feeding the logs and don't have to keep a hand on the valve all the time. The other issue is all the other stuff that goes into a power unit. I'd look for a used three phase power unit that has the tank, filter, pump and motor already set up. I'd sell you one for $100 if you were closer. Three phase is not an issue, use a capacitor and relay box out of an AC to start and run it, you probably won't even bother to run three phase to it. I have a 10HP hydraulic pump that runs like that, nowhere near as much trouble as a gas engine. edit: the speed and power of a two stage pump is amazing, speed when you want it and power when you need it. that might make a big difference in the comparisons. The other thing is the motor speed of an electric motor. Heavy duty motors are almost all 1,800 RPM, instead of 3,600RPM light duty motors.

  4. #4cuttin edge2022-06-12 14:40

    the nice thing about electric.... no fumes. My uncle had a small electric in the basement to split smaller stuff. He had the wood dumped into his shop and used a larger electric splitter once he saw how good the small one worked. Like he said, no fumes, and you could split in the rain, and after dark

  5. #5crane operator2022-06-12 15:03

    3phase electric over hydraulic power units are dirt cheap. They come out of factory hyd. presses/ punches etc. all the time used, and there's just not much demand for them. Most of the time it has skid motor tank and electrical switches all together in one package. I have 3 phase in my shop and have always wanted one to build a press with, or just get rid of the hand pump on my press.

  6. #6skyking12022-06-12 19:33

    I'd love 3 phase at the new place for all the cheap tools, but I'd be on the hook for a ton of money to put it all in.

  7. #7chidog2022-06-15 03:44

    Makes a 3 phase genset sound good huh? Especially if the grid has a problem with all the electric cars.

  8. #8doublewide2022-06-17 19:29

    I'd like to hear what you end up doing with this. I have a log splitter with a bad motor and an old compressor with a bad compressor head but a good 5 hp motor. Thinking about doing the same.

  9. #9hosspuller2022-06-17 20:42

    As already been posted, A single stage pump is "SLOOOW" splitting wood unless you're getting a high hp power unit. I think it would be worth converting to a 2 stage hydraulic pump. Then you can use a lower hp electric motor and smaller wire and smaller electric service.

  10. #10Tyler d4c2022-06-17 20:47

    Come barrow mine and the 279 we can put the hiflow plug in. Just don't put your hands on the ends it's fast