Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Comments/suggestions, Hydraulic lines

DMiller ยท 2016-06-04 16:45

Hi guys, we all have had the issue of popping a aging hydraulic hose or rubbing thru a hydraulic tube, which do you all prefer, buying hose in bulk with assorted available reusable fittings or having a local shop build yours? I am starting to lean to the prior as I almost always need a hose or patch line on the most inopportune days. Dave

Replies5
  1. #1Tradesman2016-06-04 18:32

    I'm lucky I have local one man shop, although I don't bother him at ridiculous hours he made it clear he's 24-7. He has top quality and really knows his stuff. Generally if I have a leak or worse a blow out I change them in pairs, My thought being they are the same age and have been exposed to the same stresses, either enviromental or load stress

  2. #2hetkind2016-06-04 19:39

    there is a local hose shop, and I maintain his motorcycles, he makes me hose...some years I do better, some years he does...

  3. #3Welder Dave2016-06-05 02:11

    The problem with doing your own hose infrequently is that hose has a shelf life. It's best to get hoses made by a busy hose shop so you get the newest hose and not an old hose that's been sitting around for a couple years.

  4. #4DMiller2016-06-05 17:00

    I got to looking at components for building my own, price prohibitive to buy crimp tools and field attachables are too expensive so went with hydraulic shop, cheap and I don't have to worry if they are made wrong as they will replace defectives.

  5. #5Tinkerer2016-06-05 19:38

    Different sizes and pressure ratings could create big expensive inventory to.