I have to change the rails , segments and idlers on my 943 , just looking for pointers in doing this. I plan to cut the segment bolts with a torch. If the master bolts break it won't matter the current rails are shot. Not sure how the new idlers will come , hoping all those bolts will come out. Any advice would be appreciated.
The idlers mountings are pretty unique. First you will need to remove the pins connecting the yoke to the idler bearing blocks. If they are tight you will probably have to destroy them. Budget for new ones. Then remove the bolts that fasten the lower trunnions to the track frames. If the bolt heads are rounded you will have to get creative by hammering on odd size sockets. Order new bolts before you start. Then you can lift the idlers out. The lower trunnions have a bushing which you will also probably want to replace. There are also some grease seals in there but usually on older machines the bores where they fit are worn out. If the are, don't bother with them. Clean out the grease hole and install a new grease fitting and reassemble.
Make Damned certain there is no access for the smoke wrench to drop or throw sparks or hot chunks in anything with debris or oil or both!! You wish to keep the machine, clean it before ever touching it with tools especially a gas axe. Dive it up on timbers, 6-8" off the ground lengthwise as if they are railroad rails then cribbing block the framing so you are not dragging the rails thru the dirt on or off(major PITA), also gives room to access the bottom rollers if necessary which they usually require some attention. I have even unpinned a bucket on occasion to eliminate both the dead weight and aggravating excess machine in the way to install the new rails.
Cmark and Dmiller , thanks for the advise , Cmark I have done a 953 u/c before and since you pointed out the bearings and bolts for the front idler that makes good sense. I will tear it down and see what is needed. I need to get this thing back fully functional so I don't have to worry about rolling a track off.
I was due for rails and segments for sure. Waiting on duo cone seals and segments should be here in the morning.
****, I need the exact same thing done to my 953C. What did the rails with pads cost for your 943? What brand did you end up going with?
So far I am at about 7000. The rails were 1400 per pads were about 28$ per. I got segments , idlers , and two bottom rollers so far. My idlers were 550 per but they did not come with the swing arms. The 953s come complete with the swing arms and duo cone seals installed. The brand is ITR. Rails have a 4000 hr or 3 year warranty.
Finally got my parts on. One heck of a job in 95* heat. Time to earn some money back
Purdy!!
This is the proper way to insure you get all you can out of a set of segments. Its cracked around to the bolt hole.
Yair . . . It's interesting how wear rates vary in different applications. . . and how the economics of repairs have altered down the years, the old blokes used to rebuild sprockets, it was an ongoing job during wet weather and at service It seems now that in many cases it is more cost effective to even buy new plates and hardware than it is to rebuild grousers . . . unbelievable in my day. In continuous second gear running on soft dirt and timber plates themselves never wore thin and we used to reckon the wearing down of the groused height went hand in hand with final drives . . . in other words the reduced traction took the load off. A final would often start showing metal in the frypan if grousers were rebuilt. Cheers.
Scrub , the plate were 28$ per , They are decent quality and the main thing if they don't bend your good to go. Takes lots of time to re weld as you know. I bought the rails with the pads already mounted done in a track press. I can tell you this as Cmark stated the idlers were a bit of a chore to install. I moved it to a job after double checking bolts and hardware , to tell you the truth I'm sore and tired. With the new stuff on I was wanting to run. 2 weeks ago I had a pull in my knee and was down for 3 days , my toilet in my bath is 15 feet away from my bed , it was a chore to get there to take a ****. Got steroids , cortisone shots and was going in two days. They want to do mri to see if I need a knee replacement. I'm 42 going on 80. I'm not as gung ho as I use to be but still get the urge to go and act like a 20 year old. Plus I did plumbing work , my dad had a business started in 1974. At 10 years I helped him at 16 I got a repair van. I done this for 20 more years. Lots of crawling lifting attics etc. We had a backhoe and dump. My dad passed at 54 one thing he wanted me to do was run the equipment. He bought a Case 850D 4 years before he passed. We all have stories I reckon.
Dickjr, that undercarriage job looks great. I agree, you can't hardly rebuild a pad when you buy one for 28 dollars already bolted to the rails.
Thanks JB , when you had lots of good ole country boys that could weld building up grousers and idlers was not a big deal. Those boys loved to weld and work. Where are they now?
Yair . . . Dickjr. I come on here out of interest in people and the machinery they run. I really appreciated your #15 post a little background is nice. Cheers.
Scrub , last week I fixed my AC on my Komatsu D39. The system had a lot of leak detector in it which is a major no. Had to replace the compressor and filter drier. The filter drier has a filament in it that can bust. Mine had busted. Its blowing 48* out the vent now. Also having my backhoe worked on. That's a complete other story. I read most all your posts. Got a lot of respect for people that have seated that many hours. I have three pieces and two dump trucks , but can not find capable employees. I am picky not an a ss hole. When I bill out a customer I look at it as if I were paying that bill.
Well Scrub , as we all know with age comes wisdom. I lost the left final on the 943 this afternoon. Between that , the new uc and other issues I'm getting pretty full now.
Yair . . . Dickjr. Hang in there mate, I know the feeling and remember, "this too shall pass" Cheers
I hope so Scrub. Fixing to have a couple pints of beer. Tearing into tomorrow. I may need these fellas on the board to help.
Dickjr, I have a complete 943 with a blown motor. I was planning on keeping the cab for one of my 953's. If you want a complete parts machine. 7k with cab, 5 k without.. you will need to pick it up in GA if you want it. I was planning to rebuild it but I have no time and none in sight...
PM me some more info if you don't mind
Older machines are getting a bit hard to locate and purchase affordable parts, my old Allis is the far extent of that condition where did buy a second unit with a bad engine to do just as suggested. Got lucky in that the rails were like new but shoes not, finals still good but have issues with track frames and control linkages as being damaged or extent of garbage mods making them useless otherwise just a ball of scrap metal. Have salvaged my money's worth out of it yet still have a few pieces remaining.