Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Commercial Demo bid help

stumpjumper83 ยท 2015-04-06 21:14

Ok, I've been asked to bid a commercial demo of an old store. Building is aprox. 100' long, 30' wide 2 story, false front. 2 layers of brick make the exterior. Wood interior, built late 1800's. A touching but separate wall on one side, main street to the front, 50' clear in the rear, an alley and utility lines on the other side aprox 4' away. I'm pretty sure I can fit a tractor trailer and dump up the alley for load out. Whats the thoughts on volume of a building like that. Oh, and equipment wise I'm looking to buy a hoe for the job. I've found 3 machines I'm considering. A deere 790elc bucket and grapple, a case 9020b bucket and stiff thumb, and a kobelco 200 mk4 w/o thumb or grapple. Conditions are similar across the board. 200 & 9020 are local, 790 is a bit of a drive, but same state. 9020 is a little more than the other two. I've got transportation covered myself, so they are even there. I'm personally leaning on the deere because of the grapple and I think its the largest w/ the tallest reach of the three.

Replies5
  1. #1CM19952015-04-06 21:30

    What's the floor system for the second floor, wood? What kind of roof does it have? Are you taking out the slab and footings? This one is a tough one to estimate without walking through it. Off the cuff I'd say in the neighborhood of 600 CY but it's hard without seeing it. Weight of the debris in this situation would be what I would focus on.

  2. #2stumpjumper832015-04-06 21:46

    I can dispose of the brick rather easy, inert fill. Wood second story. Flat rubber / asphalt roof from the satellite. I think there is a basement. Some of the brick can fill that. Cm, does the 600 inc all the brick?

  3. #3CM19952015-04-07 09:03

    The 600 CY is a rough volume for the structure not including slab or foundations. Same here I can get rid of block, brick and concrete cheaply because it doesn't have to go to a landfill. For estimating purposes I would figure the volume of brick and add that to the inert loads. Since the building was built in the 1800's is there any salvageable timbers? The right ones in good condition can bring good money.

  4. #4stumpjumper832015-04-07 20:15

    I'm betting its dimentional lumber. Stuff like a rough sawn 2x8 floor joist. Can use the brick to fill the hole, must track it in though. Called on the deere, it sold, but they do have a cat 320 w/ cab lift, and cab protector, might have to go look at it

  5. #5CM19952015-04-07 20:57

    The old rough sawn lumber has value in the right market but it's also a PITA to take it down, clean it up, store it and sell it if you don't have the time or space to do it - one can end up breaking even with labor, transport and storage. If you can use the brick to fill the hole after demo then that's an easy one to estimate. It gets expensive when you have to put it in a truck. The flat roof and build up can cause a problem as it takes time to process it before load out and even then takes up volume in a can or trailer.