Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

commerical truck laws

Wburke2010 ยท 2015-06-26 20:26

My family runs a equipment and party rental company near Dallas, Tx. We just recently stepped up to bigger equipment and now run a small peterbilt and lowboy to move equipment as well as two 3/4 trucks. There are so many laws out there to follow for commercial trucks I am wondering if there is a company that you tell them what you are doing and they come back with a list of all the important licenses and everything that you need. Us dot number tx dot number and so forth. We have a lot of this stuff done and have not been stopped yet, just want to make sure I have all the lines filled in... Thanks Walter

Replies12
  1. #1nowing752015-06-26 20:29

    Jjkeller has lots of stuff. Not cheap

  2. #2lantraxco2015-06-26 22:15

    No way, the police, weighmasters and DOT wouldn't allow it! If we kept laws simple and to a minimum they wouldn't write tickets and most of them would end up laid off because all of us truck drivers would be mostly legal. Silly rabbit, LOL!

  3. #3Old Doug2015-06-28 09:31

    I dont have much to complain about because for every ticket i got i could have goten 10 more but no 2 officers or Dot guys read the law in the same way. Some times i think they make it up as they go along.

  4. #4clintm2015-06-28 09:57

    as one told me a couple weeks ago that was harassing trucks that was out of hrs in their log book and was parking on the entrance ramp to the interstate in front of my yard/shop that has been widened and maintained by the state DOT for years for truck parking and does not have any no parking signs of any type! that he just go an email that it is now illegal to park any where in the state right of way and they are going to start ticketing and he did not care where they went and did not know where they could park . I told him that he was out there screwing with some one that is trying to abide buy the rules and regulations and is logged out of hrs and he is telling them to break the law and continue driving He told me that was not his problem the drivers needed to plan better he did not make the laws he was just doing what he was told. and thats we have to deal with but when those drivers get stopped in a couple of days and get log book inspected they will get ticked for driving without hrs because this !@# told the they had to move by the way there is a pilot truck stop at this exit thats all ways full thats where they were trying to park in the first place

  5. #5Old Junk Man2015-06-29 13:33

    Man Im glad Im not driving any more. I was very good at juggling two log books. Never got any log book violations. They want to generate revenue and can always find something to write a ticket for.

  6. #6CatToy2015-06-29 14:52

    This is what is wrong with the system, no one really knows what the rules are. I had one DOT inspector stop me on the way to a dirt track race one night, ticketing me for no commercial lic, happen to have a crew member with me that had one or we would have shut down on side of the road with the threat of being towed. I was driving a F350 with a 14k trailer, both together was less than 26k. One the way home stoped in almost the same area by a different DOT guy, and after looking over everything and the ticket, stated I was legal and gave me a clearance citation and said to attach to the original and sent it in, I did and never looked back. I would love to have a dump truck for my own use but I do not want the hassle.

  7. #7FSERVICE2015-06-29 23:07

    I got everyone so far beat on the best DOT ticket!!! I used to drive a propane truck, got stopped she gave me the "Icheck" sticker saying I had everything good, they are not supposed to stop/harass you for 30 days after you get that!! 2 days later I got stopped again by a different DOT officer that wrote me a ticket for " fading plackards"!!! LOL just change them & go on & for anyone wondering there is a quota for the DOT to stop so many hazmat trucks every week at least in Indiana!!!

  8. #8clintm2015-06-30 22:41

    thats the problem most of think that when they stop you they have to give you a ticket for something it didn't use to matter you just payed the ticket and went on but now it all adds up and they come audit you and then fine you again (BIG) all because of a lite bulb out or a worn tire or something minor they are even pulling dot numbers around here

  9. #9watglen2015-07-01 06:50

    At one point does the industry stand up for itself. There are tens of thousands of people all complaining about the same injustices. At the same time governments everywhere are professing to be moving toward a more business friendly, responsive culture. When does the industry pull the ripcord and demand more fairness in dealing with these legal issues. A friend of mine was hauling a large farm tractor. Duals removed for width. Permits in place. Was ticketed because the axles protruded. WANTED THE AXLES REMOVED!!!!! ***? Had to explain to the judge that axles don't come off. IDIOTS! I am telling you right now that if the industry assembled a lobby group with a focus on these issues, things would change. I don't even think the laws need to change that much. But they do need to be streamlined to make compliance straight forward.

  10. #10Old Junk Man2015-07-01 17:12

    The Big companies don't get hassled nearly as much as little company,s,owner operators or lease drivers do. What I did was become a really good outlaw. I dodged the scales. Ran at night on the two lane roads. kept two log books. I had a CB that could reach three miles. it also had a radar dectector built into the CB. Now my CDL is been downgraded because I don't have a health card. I still use my 76 C 65 ten wheeler to move my TD 14 every once in a wile. I don't have licence or insurance on it. I just get up at the crack of dawn and do what I need to do. So far so good. Even If I get caught and fined It will still be less money.

  11. #11td25c2015-07-02 22:20

    Yeah Old Junk Man , I have a few customers that that still run the Chevy C 65 ten wheeler dump trucks . Pretty good old rigs , 427 gas engine , 13 speed transmission , and 6.50 ratio rear ends . They get the job done . Will take off loaded in pretty much any terrain without any trouble .

  12. #12Old Junk Man2015-07-21 23:11

    Mine is a 366 5 speed and two speed. ten wheeler with full air brakes and a air bag tandem. its a flatbed. It was a former welding supply company truck used to have a hyd lift on the back.