As always, I appreciate all the feedback as I have been going thru several decisions on what to purchase in the 160 family and I chose a 2001 Volvo EC160BLB today. Looks pretty clean for a 22 year old machine; videos show no leaks, no smoke, good UC, plumbed for auxillary hydraulics, comes with demo grapple and bucket. In talking with the owner today, not the actual operator, he doesn't know if it has a pattern changer on it. In the video's he sent, it is set for the International Pattern not the old school backhoe mode that I need. I called the dealer to see if he knew if it was standard or not to have a pattern changer, he wasn't sure but didn't think so. At any rate, does anyone out there have knowledge/schematics that can walk me thru changing the joystick pattern to backhoe mode? I haven't taken delivery yet but working on it.....it is long haul from me ...NY.
it may not be an easy job. https://www.contractortalk.com/threads/pattern-change-valve-for-volvo-ec140.80433/ user @uffex will know, as do a few other really knowledgeable fellows. The first thing any one of them will ask is SERIAL NUMBER
Good day See attached. Kind regards Uffex
Thx Uffex, now if I can make heads or tails of this....lol. From my initial read of this, I'm understanding this to be acquiring an actual pattern changer switch and adding vice just switching lines on already existing hydraulic connections, correct? If so, other than the dealer, can I find a pattern changer for this machine aftermarket? or what would be my best course of action to resolve and add a pattern changer?
Good day If you would like to make a permanent change you can just change the lines, if you need to change back you need a switching valve. Kind regards Uffex
Appreciate you! Have a good day sir.
you have no idea how much we appreciate @uffex
Have you looked in the first cabinet behind the cab. There may be a rotary pattern change valve already plumbed in. If she's already plumbed for options,I would think that would be first choice.
I was hoping the SN would reveal that location, I have not been in a Volvo in ages.
Option SA8278453, fitted at factory. WOO-HOO!
As mentioned, valve immediately behind cab. Should look like attached image. So you can flip back n forth from farmer to ISO . Congrats on your purchase.
I actually have not put my hands on it yet.....should be getting delivered next week. I sure hope so ...gonna stay optimistic!
So you are telling me that you can tell it is already fitted??? Seriously!!!!
So since you said that, I looked closer at the pics the owner sent, I'm hoping it is one of those devices is a pattern changer....looking on the wall, I can see a sticker that says "warning"....also looks like it talks about pattern changer!!! I surely hope so!!! Thanks for all the help guys!!! I feel so much better now that I think it actually has one!!!! Yay.
It was born with it, yes. You provided the serial number, I looked up the line card which shows everything it was built with when born.
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! My Man!!! Can you tell me if the auxillary hydraulics is 2-way or single flow. The Owner can't tell me and it has lived its life making topsoil and has demo grapple where it lived many years doing house demo's. I asked about the auxillary hydraulics but he can't tell me. What can you tell me about my new baby that I'm excited to get soon? It has never had any attachments other that the demo grapple hooked which doesn't require auxillary hydraulics. Appreciate you!!!
it is going to be two way in most instances. If you want to fit a hoe pack or hammer or mower, I suggest running a return line to the tank for that kind of use.
I'll pull up the line card in the morning, we'll go through it. If it has grapple, odds are, bi-directional. Unless its just some pin on thumb. . We'll see
Good day The three way selector valve gives the choice of hammer (One direction) or grab -thumb (two way direction) See attached its at the arrow "A" Kind regards Uffex
Good day The attached surfaced while I was looking for something else.
Good Morning, So I take it to be push of a button in the cab electronics to select the attachment for use and that will tell that valve which way to function. I know my Mini (Takeuchi TB240) has interior screen selection......so bottomline, your drawing here would not be a manual switch on the operator at that valve body, correct?
Sounds great, the grappple is just pin on thumb.
I just watched the video the owner sent me and I screen shot that section and I see those parts...Yay! If all is good, then I may have gotten lucky.
Good day HC Let me see if I can complie the complete instructions it may take a while. Kind regards Uffex
If that's your machine, you lucked out. That valve to the right of the boom foot. That's your 3-way... valve. Depending on hammer or shear. In hammer the return oil goes direct to tank return filter. In shear oil goes to and from the MCV. That's the ideal set-up. When you receive the machine. The first thing you want to do is vent the tank pressure and spin down the case drain filter. Its a short, wide spin on filter in the pump room. Pour out the oil in a clean bucket. Check it for golden glitter. If there isn't any, you're on top of the world.
I'm feeling extra good about this machine with all the information you all are providing me ...I'm excited and working transportation now!!! Will keep you posted and I'm sure will be asking more questions after I receive it. I look forward to finding that filter you are referring too and seeing what the oil looks like inside!!
Good day Extra information as promised. Kind regards Uffex
Thx Sir!
Hey Guys, I took delivery this morning before driving to work. I off loaded the machine and left it at the end of the road until I got back home from work and was going to crawl it 0.5 mile thru the woods to get it home; however, I got a red warning light that came on...wasn't on this morning. So, before I started it, I added 10 gallons of fuel as it was super low; i checked the oil level which was fine but the coolant was low...didn't see any in the tank. The previous owner forgot to send the manual so I can't identify what the warning light is so I was afraid to crawl it home with low coolant and a red light. Can anyone tell me what coolant I need for this machine? and what does the red light mean? see attached pics.
Uffex, I took delivery this morning before driving to work. I off loaded the machine and left it at the end of the road until I got back home from work and was going to crawl it 0.5 mile thru the woods to get it home; however, I got a red warning light that came on...wasn't on this morning. So, before I started it, I added 10 gallons of fuel as it was super low; i checked the oil level which was fine but the coolant was low...didn't see any in the tank. The previous owner forgot to send the manual so I can't identify what the warning light is so I was afraid to crawl it home with low coolant and a red light. Can you tell me what coolant I need for this machine? and what does the red light mean? see attached pics.
That's gonna be regular old ethylene glycol, green coolant.
So just regular old prestone green from Walmart or Auto Parts store? Do you have any idea about that red warning light?
Looks like the previous owner had red in it....
Your arrow points to low coolant. Yes.
Don't fill it up to the top, just shut off the light. There's no separate expansion tank, so if you top off, you'll have a couple gallons on the ground when it warms up
Just keep like with like. If it's red, stick with red.
Are you sure as i thought the coolant light would be the light right adjacent to the temperture guage at the top?
Top to bottom, high beam,(not used) Low battery voltage Low oil pressure High coolant temp Air cleaner restriction Low brake pressure (wheeled exc) Parking brake applied (wheeled exc) Autolube malfunction (option) Crane lift overload Quick coupler unlocked (option) Pre heater on On the right is shear mode enabled, hammer appears burnt out Axle oscillation lock engaged (wheeled exc) Low fuel High hydraulic temp Low coolant Boom / arm float (option) fuel heater (option )
Awesome!!!! Thanks so much. I feel so much better now knowing what all the lights mean! The coolant level is so low I can't tell the color....I must have mistakened the plastic reservoir right adjacent to the pattern changer for a coolant tank....must be the windshield washer fluid reservoir. I'll probably need to do a complete flush anyway and service.
With no maintenance records, I'd start from scratch and service everything. Probably the first service for everything but engine.
Do you recommend that I go with the dealer filters or would you recommened after market? On my Takeuchi, it was recommended with actual Takeuchi filters especially with the dual fuel filters and the filtration that the dealer filters provided.
I'm gonna recommend factory. Less problems. Donaldson is the only aftermarket that seems to do as well.
I cross over everything to Baldwin.
Good day It looks as though FwF has come to the rescue, if you need a section of the Ops. manual just shout. Kind regards Uffex