Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Compact grading in Malaysia

Motor Grader · 2009-02-15 07:30

I just returned from a 2 week trip to East and West Malaysia where we are grading haul roads in Palm Oil Plantations. Hope everyone enjoys the pics.

Replies23
  1. #1Motor Grader2009-02-15 07:34

    More pics You gotta love a good river crossing on your way to and from work.

  2. #2ovrszd2009-02-17 08:21

    Great pics. The river crossing serves to wash off the wheels/tires, nothing wrong with that!!! I'm not a safety freak at all. Grew up riding on the fender of a farm tractor. But we've evolved so far here in USA that the first thing I noticed was the passenger!!! People go crazy about that here. I'm surprised there weren't more than one passenger.

  3. #3Squizzy246B2009-02-17 08:29

    Thanks for posting the Great Pics Bryan

  4. #4Motor Grader2009-02-17 10:27

    Your exactly right, they told me that one day they carried a couple brushes down to the river and gave it a bath. As a trainer I ride on the step all the time, but in this case I didn't. I've never been thrown but have came close a couple times. Here we were hours away from the closest thing that resembled a hospital and 10,000 miles from home so I decided to play it safe.

  5. #5Turbo218352009-02-17 12:19

    I guess they have answered one of our thread questions for graders, sit or stand. :stirthepot

  6. #6ovrszd2009-02-17 15:12

    "I wouldn't run a grader that I couldn't stand up in!!!" :shf

  7. #7ovrszd2009-02-17 15:14

    Funny how geographic location plays into the risk management formula!!!

  8. #8Grader4me2009-02-18 07:02

    Great pictures Motor Grader! If you ever need anyone to demo one of your Graders in Malaysia give me a call lol I'll even demo the high bank cutting thing..

  9. #9Danial Doherty2009-08-04 18:47

    is this the all wheel drive version?

  10. #10Motor Grader2009-08-05 10:18

    No, this is tandem drive only.

  11. #11dozerdave2009-08-06 14:13

    Hi Bryan, Super pictures and I am sure you had a great time with those people. Also nice looking blade.

  12. #12Motor Grader2009-09-14 17:15

    New pictures from Malaysia I just returned from another trip to Malaysia with some pics of a Champion C70C getting things done in a Palm Oil Plantation. Champion and Sime Darby have officially entered an agreement to build C70C Motor Graders in Malaysia. Champion is currently producing skid packs which make up approximately 60% of the grader while Sime Darby will be producing the remainder. Long story short....The units produced in Malaysia are for the South East Asia market and will not be imported back to North America. In addition to the marketing and sales of C70's, Sime Darby will also be introducing the rest of the Champion compact line in SE Asia through their existing network of construction equipment dealers. All other models will continue to be manufactured in Charlotte, NC. And for those that want to ask the question....no, this does not in any way imply that Champion is moving its operations to Malaysia. However, this is a big step forward for Champion at achieving our long term goals.

  13. #13Motor Grader2009-09-14 17:20

    Malaysian Enclosed Cab Thought you guys would enjoy seeing a Malaysia Enclosed Cab. It gets really dusty in the plantations and this was the main reason. Originally this was an open ROPS canopy model with no glass.

  14. #14B&S Grading2009-09-14 17:34

    Now That Is Innovative... And The Grader Is Just Plain Cool... One Question, What Kinda Motor Is In The C70c, And What Kind Of HorsePower Does It Have???

  15. #15dozerdave2009-09-14 17:36

    Hi Brian, Nice pictures and good luck with the new venture.

  16. #16Motor Grader2009-09-14 17:37

    Cummins in everything we build. 110hp Tier 3 Engine here in the US while still 80hp Tier 2 in Malaysia.

  17. #17Motor Grader2009-09-14 17:39

    Thanks dozerdave. We actually just delivered 2 C86C units into Manila earlier this year and are quoting some more now.

  18. #18B&S Grading2009-09-14 18:07

    Gotcha... Now I Feel Educated...HaHa...

  19. #19dozerdave2009-09-14 19:17

    That is good news on the new equipment.

  20. #20amtronic2009-09-15 09:45

    How will the Malay built units be identified, so that they can be tracked in the future to avoid any gray-market units slipping into North America? :usa

  21. #21Bellboy2009-09-15 11:22

    Wow, love that little machine! Judging by the size and the location (a few hundred or so hectares of palms?) I'm guessing that its gonna be a busy little bee.

  22. #22Motor Grader2009-09-28 15:54

    Short answer is that under the manufacturing agreement we also have a exclusive zone in which the Malaysian produced machines can be sold in. Long answer would be a few paragraphs that I would have to get my attorney to explain! Its really a partnership I have in Malaysia so I do have some say so in how things are handled. Obviously I have several key internal ways to identify machines but to the average person the easiest identifier would be the trademark. We will be releasing a new trademark for South East Asia very soon. As for used machines down the road we really can't keep them out but on a positive note we can still provide parts and support for them if they do find there way here.

  23. #23Motor Grader2009-09-28 16:14

    The machines run every day the weather allows and probably some days it should not. We are seeing some of the highest utilization ever in a compact grader. It’s almost like having a billion dollar test bench to put the entire grader on and run it hundreds and thousands of hours at its maximum output to look for potential failures. Also my partners in Malaysia are documenting every hour it seems with extensive test reports that they feed back to me. The end result is data that is normally impossible to get that will improve the overall durability and performance on every Champion we build. This will help us to continue to stay well in front of our competitors.:yup