Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Compacting Sandy Forestry Roads

Homewood35 · 2023-08-16 21:18

I’m working on a friends place that’s hilly and unfortunately almost pure white sand with no clay content. The roads I’m trying to fix are mostly used for UTVs, tractors and small trucks. I started trying to build a couple of berms with water turnouts but I honestly don’t see the berms holding up over a year or two because there is absolutely no clay in the soil to compact. We don’t have any way to haul clay in to top off the mounds. Any suggestions???

Replies10
  1. #1Shimmy12023-08-17 00:52

    Use some topsoil? Not preferable, but it will tighten up sand.

  2. #2redneckracin2023-08-17 06:56

    Rock? You may also try some cement mixed into the sand.

  3. #3Acoals2023-08-17 08:29

    If you can't get something else in there to bind things up you pretty much just have to deal with the sand. There aren't any tricks for making clean sand pack . . .

  4. #4Homewood352023-08-17 08:36

    Yeah, I kinda figured there’s not much hope without hauling in some material. I’d thought about stacking a few logs across and then covering them with hopes that it would maybe help hold things together. Might just be something that he has to deal with until we get a small dump truck

  5. #5Homewood352023-08-17 08:37

    Unfortunately rocks are scarce around us.

  6. #6DDoug2023-08-17 08:50

    What is that dust suppression oil product used on dirt roads ? IIRC Pennzoil was making it.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2023-08-17 10:13

    Cut some cross cuts for drainage and use logs in the cross-cuts for a backing and it will fill in after a while.

  8. #8redneckracin2023-08-17 10:16

    Used to have a BeetJuice product for dust suppression, but i dont think it had much strength. On the shoulders for roadwork, we spec out an asphalt seal coat overtop of the aggregate to try and get it to hold. I have also seen conveyor belting bolted to 4x4's and buried to direct water off the roadway.

  9. #9Homewood352023-08-17 15:32

    Yeah that’s along the lines of what I was thinking might be the only option. This whole place is pine plantation with about 2inches of topsoil. Makes it hard to scrape up anything.

  10. #10DDoug2023-08-17 15:37

    StackPath