Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Compaction wheel/sheepsfoot for backhoe

Duke ยท 2009-04-22 20:30

The seller of the NH backhoe I'm buying is offering to sell me a Gearmore sheepsfoot wheel compactor for the backhoe. First he wanted $1,000. Now he's offering it for $500. I think it costs over $2,000 new. It's in excellent condition, but the whole unit has a light rust haze on it instead of yellow paint. Has greaseable bearings, made by Gearmore. Can't decide whether to buy or not. Obvious question is "how much will I use it?" I use a rammax about 4 to 5X/yr. Not sure if the sheepsfoot would be able to go everywhere a rammax could. Rammax is ~$250/day. Backhoe does not have quick coupler.

Replies10
  1. #1salopez2009-04-23 12:05

    is it a skid steer mount roller? I will take it for 500 and help pay shipping for the whole thing... let me know

  2. #2Duke2009-04-23 12:39

    Nope. Mounts on backhoe dipperstick.

  3. #3mudmaker2009-04-23 14:20

    I had one and rarely used it so I traded it to a buddy which seemed like a good idea at the time, but seems like now that I dont have it I have had more occasions when it would have been nice to use. 500 bucks is a great deal if you ask me. Especially if it wont cost you any to ship if it is coming with the backhoe.

  4. #4AtlasRob2009-04-23 16:36

    Look at it like this,............what is the worst case senario if you buy it ? I would buy it, you already have somebody intrested and you admit to using a Rammax sometimes, what have you got to loose. Boy its real easy spending other peoples money :drinkup

  5. #5Duke2009-04-23 21:11

    money.....man I spent too much. I gotta get to work......real SOON!

  6. #6Turbo218352009-04-23 21:25

    Not a bad attachment to have, as long as you are working in a clay type soil. I dont think it would help you compact sand, stone, or even slag type materials.

  7. #7Bob Horrell2009-04-23 23:50

    Hi Duke For $500 bucks I would get it in a heartbeat. That is a good deal. If you decided you didn't use it that much, you could certainly sell it for what you payed for it or more. How did the backhoe inspection go? Do you feel good with the results? Camarillo is about 3 hours from me. If you need any help with this purchase, and I have the time, maybe I could help you out.

  8. #8Duke2009-04-24 07:49

    Bob, Thanks for the offer. The inspection went better than expected. Only problems were a voltmeter not working and some shight seepage from the backhoe valve. Mechanic said machine was the nicest 5800 hour machine he's ever seen. :usa It's mine now. My trucker is picking it up today and it will be making its' long journey across the country to me. I've really got to cut back on my spending, but you're right, the sheepsfoot makes so much sense to buy. I may call him this morning and see if he'll throw it on the truck. Only problem is payment. I already sent him the money for the machine. I just can't seem to open my checkbook one more time. Sometimes I really can't believe I sold my low-houred CASE and bought this NH, but I needed to cut back on costs with the crap economy and the buyer of my CASE made me an offer I couldnt pass-up.

  9. #9Duke2009-04-24 21:27

    Decided to buy the sheepsfoot. Now I gotta hope I get to use it enough to justify it.

  10. #10stumpjumper832009-04-25 18:43

    You could always clean it up and maybe paint it and see if you can get a grand for it...