Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Comparable Mini-Ex to a Backhoe?

aerodriver ยท 2021-02-03 17:01

Possibly in the market for a mini excavator for a new construction home I am starting soon. I already have a 60hp ag tractor with a FEL, so I thought maybe an excavator would be a better route than a construction-size TLB. What size excavator would compare to a Deere 310 or 410? I have over a 1000 ft of utility trenching I need to do in some tough ground, and is probably a big part of what I would be using the machine for. It may end up just making sense to rent, but I am sure I can find a bunch of uses over time for an excavator.

Replies11
  1. #1Tags2021-02-03 18:42

    I'm fairly certain a current model 12000- 14000lb (50-60 series) class excavator would hold its own against a backhoe and 18000lb (70-80 series) class for sure and may be a tad stronger. If you have have one you'll use it, but in the long run it may make more sense to rent as needed, especially if your budget doesn't allow purchasing a low hour, previously well maintained unit, those size excavators can have the tar beaten outta them, so do your due diligence before purchasing.

  2. #2NepeanGC2021-02-03 19:01

    I out paced a Case 580 with my Bobcat E85 (20,000lbs) when I was doing utility trenching. If you've already got something with a loader, I'd advocate for an excavators vs backhoe...backhoes are jack of all trades, masters of none. Their main advantage imho is when you've got to road a machine to a jobsite. The advantage ends there.

  3. #3John Canfield2021-02-03 19:02

    I've had my Bobcat E42 for almost two years and only put about 125 hours on it but having that mini-ex standing by is worth the investment to me. I use it to pry, lift, dig and occasionally grade. Every 4 or 5 months I have an antelope die and digging a hole for it tales less time than to get to the critter.

  4. #4Don.S2021-02-03 20:43

    Do you have much experiance? If not you would be better off the hire out the work. If you have the experience to run the machine then just rent when you need it. Rent a excavator when you need to dig and a ctl to grade.

  5. #5CM19952021-02-03 20:56

    From my experience owning a 420DIT and renting 308's off and on for many years they have near the same lifting capacity on the boom end. Both will lift a pre-cast 48" round 3' tall manhole and place it in a shallow hole (4-6' deep) but don't ask either to do much more in that respect of lift and place. In my experience an 18K mini-hoe and 18-20K backhoe have the same lifting capacities - production mileage varies.

  6. #6skyking12021-02-03 20:59

    I'd rent an excavator and then use the tractor with loader during the backfill phase. Having that tractor is very handy, especially if you need bedding in some places or crushed rock for high traffic areas. The beauty of renting is you can get a decent sized machine, it will have low hours and be the latest and greatest in many cases. I run excavator for a living, and I have decided long ago to rent when needed after I retire. If I had large properties and ambition to tame it all, it might be different. As it is, I tend to get done what I want in a weekend and spend ~$500 each time. An excavator worth owning will be at least $15,000 and that is if you get really lucky. I'd budget more like 20K for a useful machine that was not leaking, tossing a track, or loose as a goose. I can pick up the phone and get a new machine 40 times for my $20,000

  7. #7KSSS2021-02-03 21:08

    There are a lot of comparisons showing a comparable mini ex will out dig a backhoe. However, your probably not into for which can dig more Linear Feet in an hour. I think your needs would be more about versatility. It would be more practical to own a backhoe for a variety of different uses you could use it for on a project like yours. My 590 N will out dig my 6 ton Taki in tough ground, handles a larger bucket and I can crane more weight with it. I can set a septic tank (half sections) with the 590, the Taki wouldnt come close. You can also more a lot a dirt with a 1.5 cy bucket.

  8. #8skyking12021-02-03 21:15

    yes it's apples to oranges IMO. In tight quarters an mini shines, a backhoe sucks. When it opens up and you have smooth running you can haul ass with a 590 and handle full sticks of 8" ductile if you have an extendahoe. I helped set miles of water main with mostly 590's. Backfill is faster, moving the extra dirt along when you have it, bedding, running a front tire in the ditch with a full bucket does a good job of compacting for all but paving purposes.

  9. #9JLarson2021-02-03 21:17

    I'd take a mid size track hoe any day over a tlb for any serious amount of trenching. For 1k + of trench that's track hoe and then skip loader for bedding/shade and back fill work for me.

  10. #10aerodriver2021-02-03 21:46

    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think renting the excavator will be the ticket. Most all of the grading I have done and will do is with the box scraper on the tractor, which works great for me.

  11. #11skyking12021-02-03 22:01

    That trenching is a situation where it would be really nice to trade labor with somebody. I know you're probably just getting to know the neighbors, but it's great to do things together.