Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Compare Cat D3 to D5

inyati13 ยท 2010-08-09 15:11

Has anyone had the fortune to operate recent Model D3 and D5 dozers? I was wondering for light to medium land clearing work if the D5 offers significant advantage over the D3 with its extra weight and HP. I have a D3G and it does better then I expected but was thinking if things fall into place, I might move up to a D5G or K model.

Replies12
  1. #1da'yoop2010-08-10 15:27

    I can't help but think if there wasn't a significant difference, they wouldn't make two different models. Why would anyone ever buy a d5 if a d3 would do the same job. Just my .02 cents...

  2. #2stumpjumper832010-08-10 16:11

    a company I worked for about 3 yrs ago now had a d4g & a d5g, and there was a good bit of difference. 5 didn't weigh much more but it had more balls. Light to medium land clearing - cleaning up christmas tree stump rows? If your doing small diameter clearing, say 8" minus a d5g might suffice, but its none too big If your getting into hardwood stumps and larger diameter stuff like in the 16" - 24" stuff I'd be looking at a high 6 size for starters. 20 ton excavator and a 963 are also good things to look at. a d5g might do it, but it will take longer and you will be operating at max. capacity for alot of the time.

  3. #3inyati132010-08-10 16:12

    good point! I do have my D3G in great shape. If it continues do do a nice job, why should there be a need to change. Thanks.

  4. #4inyati132010-08-10 16:23

    My stuff is pretty small. I am keeping bigger stuff that is of value such as walnut, ork, hickory. I have gotten into some hackberry that is say 10 inches. It does take some time. I get up hill of them and since the ground seems to hold a lot of moisture, when I get the blade as high as possible for leverage, they go down. One thing that I have learned that is contrary to what others have told me, using the corner of the blade is hard on the machine. I now push just in front of the trunion tower. When I have to grub a root or two, I will use the corner bit but I am carefull. It puts a lot of stress on the angle cylinders. Nevertheless, a D6 is more the machine for the job. I work my own land so I can take my time. Commercially, I would not have that luxury. Thanks

  5. #5john10662010-08-10 17:13

    If i was going to buy a small dozer it would be the D5M or D5N they are like having a miniature d8 i think the D3 is useless unless you are spreading processed material

  6. #6stumpjumper832010-08-10 19:02

    Your right, your land, your time & machine, who cares how fast it gets done... to a point. Example- A guy in town decided he wanted an addition to his house. This required digging down and extending his basement by 12' x 24' x 5'. Guy rents a mini excavator from the local hardware for $600.00 plus tax a week. Its a wee little bobcat with a bunch of hours. It takes him about 2 days to dig this all out and make a big pile in his yard, which he intends to rent a skid loader and move around. I'd have came over, dug the hole & spread or hauled the material away for the same $$, and would have been a short day for me. Sometimes it pays to bring in the right equipment, even when you have your own. Oh, and for ripping small trees out, try an excavator w/ thumb, even a small 8-10 ton, on those little 10" stuff you will be suprised at how fast it goes.

  7. #7CM19952010-08-10 20:19

    You are correct. Whoever told you that side loading a 6 way is not stressful doesn't know what they are talking about. Side loading a 6 way on a stump or rock puts a lot of stress on the blade and associated parts. There is a considerable amount of difference between a D3G and D5G. I have a D5G XL and it's a tough little dozer, good on fuel. My choice for clearing work is my 953C though since I don't have an excavator. If you are thinking of trading up, there are some nice 953C's out there that are going around the same price as a comparable (year and hours) D5G. A track loader is a great all around machine that can accomplish many tasks.

  8. #8D6c10K2010-08-10 21:33

    Off subject, but personally I'd keep the hackberry...nice trees even if not worth $....just my 2 cents.

  9. #9inyati132010-08-11 09:37

    Thanks. All the responses have been helpful. Question. How stable is the 953C on hillsides in comparison to the small dozers?

  10. #10inyati132010-08-11 09:41

    Hey D6c10k, I agree on the hackberry. I am saving the straight ones. I guess what I really meant to say on the hackberry is that they are tough. Not just from a root point of view but also the wood. They are also very healthy where I am located especially in consideration of the diseases that have been hitting elms, oaks and now ash in our area. Thanks.

  11. #11willd8r2010-08-13 08:02

    I have spent 2 years on a D3G, now on a D5G they are alot better seem to have better guts we going to make the blade wider very hard to hold dirt for a 50m push I hate those papt blades & fixed track frames It performs well use's about 120L of fuel in a 10 hr day I prefure the hydro drive, steering as to finger tip steering in a 5m, diff steer is the best I have about 1M cubic meters of crush rock/dirt to push so will on it for a while I use it because it's light & 100 hp to cap in a 120 acre sluge pond. Cheers

  12. #12ih1002010-08-13 15:36

    A lot more stable than many people believe, though not quite as good as a small dozer. Pretty close, though, as long as the bucket is low.