Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Compare hydraulic oils. 10w and ISO46? Which to use?

fastline ยท 2011-09-16 14:49

My machine apparently calls for a 10W HD oil (basically engine oil) or it did back in the day. I understand 10W might be quite high in price. Curious if ISO46 can be a converted comparison to 10W? What would be the differences? For use in an old excavator.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2011-09-16 16:24

    10W (6.1cSt viscosity @ 100 degC) is right in between an ISO 32 (5.4cSt @ 100 degC) and ISO 46 (6.7cSt @ 100 degC). So if your spec calls for 10W you might possibly run into overheating issues if you use ISO 46. What sort of ambient temperature are you operating in ..?

  2. #2fastline2011-09-16 16:35

    Machine would be operated between 30-100F. Because the machine will be retired to the farm, I doubt I will force it to work when ridiculous cold out. Indication was that a higher viscosity might actually improve a few things since everything is well worn in this old machine. That being said, because the machine will require about 100gal, I could just get a drum of 32 and 46 and blend them.

  3. #3John C.2011-09-16 19:47

    What kind of machine are you putting this oil into. Anything more that 15 years old will run most anything. Gear and vane pumps don't care much as long as its slick.

  4. #4fastline2011-09-16 21:25

    Uh, ok, over 30 yo, run whatcha brung then? I know these are piston pumps though. 9J9362 pumps.

  5. #5maytag2011-09-16 21:40

    oil options You should fare ok with either ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic oil-I expect the 46 will be somewhat cheaper @ least it is in S. Alabama. Good luck, Tom

  6. #6fastline2011-09-16 21:54

    Well, the concern was originally that the 10w HD EO that was originally spec'd did not match the blend for an ISO 32 or 46 due to the Zinc content and that is my primary concern right now. If the ISO oils will run perfectly in the machine though, I would probably rather go that direction.

  7. #7mitch5042011-09-17 01:31

    I have a 1989 Cat 215 C LC hoe, a 1978 Cat D4e dozer, and 9 other pieces made from 1962 to 1991. I have used AW46 oil in all of them for over 15 years, with very good results. I also use it in my dump trucks. The only concern w/ AW46 for you is that it may be too heavy for your coldest temps, though I have run my 215 as low as 12 degrees, with no problem after a careful warmup. The warmer the air, the thicker the oil you need.

  8. #8fastline2011-09-17 08:00

    I will assure you this machine will not be running at 0F. It will be on a farm where I certainly will not need to use it. I would expect the lowest I might run it is in the teens.