Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track tensioning system. When to rebuild and how much fun?

fastline ยท 2011-09-15 18:46

Per previous threads, working on an old CAT 225. Tracks are both loose. Realizing the TOTAL lack of maintenance on the machine, it would not surprise me if they did not tension them BUT I see one that seems to have fairly fresh grease around it, the other does not. I pumped both up a little and they move and do their thing and held while I was standing there. I figured I would let them sit over night and see what happens. I realize running it would be best but it has other issues. Curious what "the test" is for the tension system and if the leak, the sign is puking grease out? On to the hopefully NOT repair, but just how much fun are we talking to rebuild one of these tensioner cylinders? I assume this is nothing more than a hydro cylinder with grease rather than oil? Do I have to open the chains to remove tension to do this?

Replies0

No replies yet.