Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

comparison of two dozers d7h and d8k

tj_farmer ยท 2011-01-27 18:28

between a d8k and a d7h, with both rigs at normal op. specs,powershifts, which dozer would be best in a long slow pull. which has a better tq converter to handle the heat and abuse? pulling up to a half mile long at 1-1.5mph on a drawbar pull thks

Replies7
  1. #1grandpa2011-01-27 18:50

    No comparison,,, I own both and a D8k will work the pants off a D7H any day, everyday, all year long. The 8k has the weight, almost 8 ton heavier than the 7.

  2. #2SE-Ia Cowman2011-01-27 18:52

    If your hooking that to a tile plow like I assume you are a 8k would be better not that the torque converter is better but weight is the key. A guy up the road has a 742 liebherr it is a 57000lb machine and he put 2yds worth of concrete weight on the blade. I know a guy that put a mounted plow on a 8R and gets along greatthey have had 40000 foot days.

  3. #3Greg2011-01-27 20:05

    D8K all the way.

  4. #4Mike Mc2011-01-28 00:04

    The D8K has 300HP and weights 70,500lbs. The D7H has 215HP and weights 52,000lbs.

  5. #5tj_farmer2011-01-28 08:44

    thanks guys, is a d8h really 10000 lbs less then a d8k? how big of back pedal is this, in machine.....is there a place on the flywheel or off the back of the trans to mount a modern hyd pump? i know its slow, but what rpm does a d342 in the 8k turn at idle and high idle. thks again

  6. #6tj_farmer2011-01-28 20:51

    this a different question all together, having nothing to do with the d7h....sorry for any confusion

  7. #7John C.2011-01-28 22:11

    D342 engine in either D8 ran at 900 rpm high idle back when I worked on them. The difference was the torque and the length of useful life. As I recall the hydraulic pump was mounted on the other side of the gear train from the transmission pump. Extra pumps were mounted on the back to run a winch as I recall. You should be able to do something there. I recall the 8K being a little heavier when the truck driver moved it but I don't remember how much or just where the extra weight was.