So, most of us have been around the block a time or two. Most of us have battle scars to remind us of our younger , uninformed times. We've all been warned, taught and shown the inherent dangers involved with working on or around heavy equipment. What we're not so aware of, is complacency. When you think , ahhh, I'm good, or the risk has been minimized. I've been wrenching for almost 40 years. That said, I was working on a boom suspension system the other day. I blocked up the boom. Relieved the pressures on the system, even completely discharged the Nitrogen on the accumulators. I knew there would be residual pressure, tank, maybe pilot even though not connected. What i wasn't ready for was trapped main pressure. I was loosening the flange at the manifold joining the 2 accumulators into the booms plus side control valve. I must have crossed in line with the path of oil when the o-ring failed. A loud pop, felt like someone hit my hand with a hammer. Not knowing, good or bad, I tied off that hand with a makeshift tourniquet and called emergency services. I suspected oil injection, luckily , I was wrong. The moral of the story, you can follow all the safety protocols, follow the mfrs instructions and still have an incident. Had this been HPCR fuel system, this discussion might be quite different. Please, if the flange bolts feel abnormally tight, after you broke them loose. If the hose fitting feels tight after she's broke free, there's probably substantial pressure waiting behind there. Make sure you're in a safe position out of the path of trajectory, wrap with rags to minimize spray, whatever you can do to protect yourself. Not trying to fear monger or anything like that, just trying to remind folks, there's risk, try to recognize it.
Also, a reminder............YOU ARE NOT AS YOUNG AS YOU USED TO BE!!!!!! Over a year ago I was on my back trying to arm lift a heavy ass travel motor under a Bomag. 25 years ago, it was no problem.....I lost my grip on it and it came down since I didn't have it stabbed in the splines and dam near took my head off. I'm almost 62 now and have to be reminded I'm not in my 30's anymore.
You and me both, brother. I'm constantly reminded. Getting old sucks. Yet, back in the day, you didn't mess with old guys, they had God level strength. What happened to us?
thank you for the reminder and could you provide a little clarification on the boom suspension system? I am completely unfamiliar. I will recount the worst trapped energy story from my recent history. I was working as an operator for SeaTac airport services. There was nothing going on and a couple of other workers went looking for something to do, which turned out to be scrapping a jetway strut by removing the tire from the wheel, without relieving the pressure.It is a very highly loaded tire with at least 120PSI in it, and they started rattling off the rim bolts and nuts. They recounted the explosive release and by pure luck neither was injured badly, but we know it was just luck. They were both checked out with concussive symptoms at the ER.
Boom suspension has different names. Ride control, comfort drive etc. It's basically tying a huge gas chamber to the lift side of the boom. As you are traveling, instead of a rigidly locked boom bouncing you around in the cab, the boom can glide along with the uneven terrain. Best thing ever for a rubber tired loader.
Thanks for the safety reminder and for sharing that, Funwithfuel.
Well, you get to the point you can’t pull your pants up anymore. At home, I just stay naked
When it comes to hydraulics "Stay out of the Line of Fire" was always drilled into the young guys. I guess it is a good thing for the older ones among us to remember every once in a while.
Thanks @funwithfuel I am an operator and I know to hit the easy ride button or the lever on the old scrapers, but did not know it by the official term.
I've always known it as a cushion hitch on a scraper, or ride control on a wheel loaders.
Fig Newton--for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction.
Glad you’re good. Thanks for the reminder.
The thing is, theoretically, there should have been no more than 50 psi. This abnormality caught me off guard. Followed all the instructions and all the safety protocols just to get whacked like a noob.
It's the trouble with theory or theories, it seems most times that the word impossible is injected into discussion or a decades old theory is thought to be true along comes Murphy. Jacks are not to be trusted, anything that relies on nothing more than a cheap ass o-ring or check valve is problematic.
The only difference between theory and real life is in theory there is no difference.
That depends on how drunk the one theorizing is, theories have a way of changing by the end of a 12 pack, and some will theorize that a 12 pack is just getting started.
Explosion at LA County sheriff training facility killed 3 deputies in worst loss of life since 1857 Three Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies were killed in a blast at a compound that houses the agency’s arson and explosive unit on Friday morning. The explosion at the Biscailuz Center Academy Training facility in East Los Angeles resulted in the department’s worst loss of life in a single event since 1857. The officers were identified as Detective Joshua Kelley-Eklund, Detective Victor Lemus and Detective William Osborn, all of whom were assigned to the Special Enforcement Bureau’s Arson Explosives Detail. The fallen members — whose elite unit responds to 1,000 calls yearly — were longtime veterans who had were on the job for 19, 22 and 33 years, respectively. Explosion at LA County sheriff training facility killed 3 deputies in worst loss of life since 1857 Three veteran detectives were killed after an explosion rocked a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department training facility Friday. nypost.com
Appreciate you posting this. Thanks!
We had an old truck with spring seats. Driver side bottom was shot, I went to switch it with the passenger side. As I was loosening the last bolt the seat frame comes flying up just missing my face. I never looked to see how it worked. Could have been real bad.
Not hydraulic but pneumatic related, framed new homes when younger and air nailers were just being introduced to us outdoor grunts. Doufast salesman shows up onsite with their newest coil nailer for decks. No air attached to gun what could go wrong? Boss checking new toy pushes down on trigger and "tip actuator" at same time and gets a 2" spiral nail through his thumb. Nailer had fancy new auto oiler attached and held enough air to ruin bosses day. Bottom line, trust no machine.
One of our competitors last year had a tech get a hydraulic injection from removing a flange mount hydraulic hose like that I have been covered in oil from removing a flange line joining the boom hard line to the stick hard line. I had loosened the flanges, drained off what I thought was all the oil, didn’t feel like any pressure behind them, etc, then removed the remaining bolts and then boom covered in oil. Fortunately it was nothing more of a problem than changing clothes, mopping up the mess, and when I got home take a nice hot shower with a lot of dawn to get it out of my hair. I treat hydraulics like a loaded gun- it isn’t safed until it’s completely in pieces on my work bench. I just wish we could get the young cowboys to understand this stuff.
“Line of fire” is easy to miss. Hydraulic oil, pressurized fluids from paint sprayers and pressure washers, nail guns, shooting type pin setting tools, wrenches slipping of bolts (I broke a pair of glasses once) are just some of the line of fires to watch for.
You can’t win, if you don’t play! Lol
Any accidents I’ve been involved in have all been down to complacency on my part and other,not a lack of experience. I suppose that’s a contradiction in itself.
Yeah, but there are certain people who really should have their toys taken away permanently - for their sake and for the sake of others in their vicinity. My 2c - YMMV.
That's an easy one. Cordless tools for one, fancy electric cranes with remotes, air hammers, I could probably list another dozen reasons why.
"Back in the day" - Those old timers were 35. Which seems ancient when you are 17. I kinda watch it when I sneeze anymore, so I don't hurt myself.
And--back in the day they're wasn't laparoscopic surgery to repair all the destroyed tendons, joints and herniated discs in the spine from compression. The old folks homes are full of old guys that can barely move. My brother inlaw who passed away a little over a year ago at 85 was one of those, worked flipping lumber on the Green Chain for Boise Cascade for nine years, not someone to arm wrestle, he spent his last five so broken down. In his prime he looked like Pop Eye.