I just bought a cat 287b that needs some tlc and I wanted to get a compression gauge with the proper adapter to fit the 3044c engine. Does anyone have suggestions as what type would work best for me? Any help would be appreciated for sure.
I'd pop a glow plug out and find a kit with an adapter that matches.
I sometimes take the guts out of a glow plug and braze a spark plug anti fouler adaptor to it. Then use my gas engine compression tester with a higher pressure gauge. May need a section of steel tubing in between for clearance.
I know there's a CAT P/N for them. Pretty sure the right adapter came in my Mac test kit as well.
"if" it has glow plugs.?? THATS the easiest place to check.. AND Harbor Freight sells a GP compr. tester kit for CHEAP.. w/ the gauge. Good luck
If it starts and runs good, why would you bother with all that work and expense?
Thanks for y’all’s help. I found a gauge at Napa and the glow plug adapter on line. I had the injectors tested and they needed rebuilt so I bought new ones at Cat slightly cheaper. They will be at the dealer next week. I just wanted to check compression so I would know the health of the engine.
I tested compression and it was very good and all cylinder pressures were close together. I put in new injectors and still had a stumble above half throttle so I advanced the timing on the injection pump a little and it ran good. My question is does the pump supposed to advance as the rpm’s rise automatically?