Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Compressor CFM

jesuschavira@berryglobal. · 2024-10-03 16:33

Hello. If I have a compressor that runs 24/7, that means that it is producing the maximum CFM stated in the specs?

Replies13
  1. #1Welder Dave2024-10-03 19:40

    Not necessarily. Need more info. First need to know what type of compressor and the application. Some compressors run continuously but only put out the required CFM that can be below the max. CFM the compressor is capable off. Other compressors have unloaders to allow them to run continuously regardless how many CFM or pressure is required. Pressure switch settings could also make a compressor run continuously below max. CFM.

  2. #2jesuschavira@berryglobal.2024-10-04 10:58

    Well, actually I have 3 compressors running all-day. I know one of them is Rotary screw (if this makes sense) the other two I'm not sure what kind of compressors they are. These 3 compressors supply compressed air to production lines in a manufacturing company. I'm doing a study of air consumption. I already have the kWh of each one and now I need the CFM but how can I calculate accurately the average CFM per day if it fluctuates?

  3. #3Tinkerer2024-10-04 11:47

    There are digital flowmeters that will measure the cfm. I'm not sure if they will record the data 24/7. Might need a camera set up to monitor the meter. Why do you need to know the consumption ? I ask that because a compressor does not consume air. They just move it. Are they in running a confined area and you need to know how many cfm they are removing ? Curious minds need to know!

  4. #4jesuschavira@berryglobal.2024-10-04 12:07

    Hey first of all thanks for replying. I'm trying to reduce the compressed air consumption used in our pneumatic systems. It is an improvement. So I need to measure the current state of the process which is, how much air we are consuming now, and after I implement the improvement I have to measure the air consumption and then compare the results. What I really need is how much air my compressor are producing a day. So I was thinking that maybe by mulyipling the CFM x 60 minutes I would get Cubic feet per hour then x 24 hours to get the cubic feet per day. Idk if this makes sense lol

  5. #5MarcusZ19672024-10-04 13:08

    Best way to reduce air consumption is with a soapy spray and wrenches. If the rotary is newer, you should be able to get to a menu for load/unload time. Load = air output. Unload = no air output. The other compressors if piston, would need a flow meter or just a kw/h meter.

  6. #6DDoug2024-10-04 13:27

    Is this a homework assignment ? What your trying to do is a usage audit. And it should be done to show on a graph a 24 hour day, down to each minute.

  7. #7colson042024-10-04 13:53

    No, sounds like a lean manufacturing/six sigma project handed to a young hand or an intern. Prime objective is reducing total energy load. Usually accomplished by analyzing each segment that consumes and figuring out where the 'leaks' are. Compressed air systems in large facilities are horribly inefficient from unresolved leaks, over sizing equipment, etc. I was part of a lean project that analyzed the air usage at a factory many years ago. We basically found a lot of leaks. Once that was resolved, we upgraded compressor configuration and saved the company a bunch of money in reduced electricity consumption and reduced maintenance.

  8. #8DDoug2024-10-04 13:57

    We have monitoring everywhere on everything. Boss was confused about argon usage.....I said "show me saturday midnight's report" he did, there was plenty flowing, and not a single person in the plant working. I said "you have a leak".....a Beeg leak.

  9. #9.RC.2024-10-06 21:32

    Is CFM how much goes in the intake not the output, as the output varies as the pressure varies.

  10. #10cosmaar12024-10-06 23:13

    Output. As the PSI raises, your CFM lowers because it’s harder to compress air. However your volume is dependent on what your psi of the tank is and how many gallons it holds.

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-10-07 01:06

    A larger tank doesn't increase CFM of the compressor but can increase the CFM for short periods. An example could be if you needed to use a 1" impact wrench to loosen lug nuts and the compressor didn't put out enough CFM. The tank could increase the CFM for short bursts but not continuously.

  12. #12jesuschavira@berryglobal.2024-10-07 08:37

    Yes, it is a lean manufacturing project. How did you analyze the air usage? What did you measure and how?

  13. #13colson042024-10-07 12:38

    I was not the lead on the project, but I know after several meetings it was determined we needed to spend the money and get a good flow meter. Something like these: Compressed Air Flow Meters | Instrumart www.instrumart.com With the flow meter, we could actually quantify what we have, set our initial benchmark, and then prove the changes we made resulted in real improvements that could have a dollar value assigned. If you can't prove you saved them money, then did you actually save them money?