Hey Everyone, new to the site. My names Evan, I work at a JD dealer here in Florida. So today my boss handed me the keys of one of our service trucks and said its mine for the weekend and I have some services to do to a few machines in the field this weekend. So after getting it home I washed it up and was going through the functions making sure everything worked before I got out in the field and it didn't. Truck has a summit bed on it with crane and compressor, problem is when I have the PTO engaged, Remote in my hand i can run the crane fine, outriggers work fine, but I cannot for the life of me get the engine to idle up or the compressor to kick on. Any ideas where to start?? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to HEF EquipmenttechEv. :drinkup I have to admit I know nothing about how Summit sets up their beds and hydraulic options. I assume you have a PTO pump that operates the crane and a hydraulic motor driven compressor. What I don't know is if the hydraulic system is open center or closed center, nor do I know what actually activates the compressor. However, a good possibility is a solenoid valve inside the covers of the compressor, that's how most units I've seen operate. Also, there may be an additional master switch for the compressor. On my Maintainer body there's a switch for the compressor on the crane remote, but the master switch for the compressor in the front driver side cabinet has to be turned on for it to work.
Any chance of calling one of the other mechanics and asking?
Is the compressor electric driven. If so you may need to lift the hood a few inches.
is there a manual for the bed with controls schematic?
What kind of truck do you have? The truck idles up for the crane? Post up some pictures of the truck, compressor, and the remote.
Try engaging the parking brake
Thanks everyone for the replies, I did actually figure it out. The compressor is in the bed under a cover. The cover lifts up hydraulically, and the compressor won't start unless the cover is open. I feel pretty dumb not knowing that at the time. Thanks again for all the replies.