Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Computers anyone?

chidog · 2024-03-17 01:30

How many wish they were never invented? Yes there is somethings they maybe helpful with, but I think things were way better before them. Google maps not showing street numbers etc. on sat veiw has me steaming. Yeah I suppose they want me to join their club to have that feature now. I just hope a person can still get the good old city maps. One other thing in the old days a machinist had to know something, now anyone that can do computers thinks they are a machinist. One of those days.

Replies30
  1. #1Coaldust2024-03-17 01:46

    I hear ya, brother. Being Gen X, I remember the days of analog. We managed to thrive without cell phones and computers. The only integrated circuits were in voltage regulators, televisions, radios and ignition systems. And perhaps my 1978 Coleco hand held quarterback football video game MeMaw gifted me at Christmas. ​

  2. #2MG842024-03-17 08:54

    I’m ok with computers in some situations, that said IMO technology quit benefiting mankind about 20-25yrs ago. I can’t think of any technology since then that has actually made my life better. On top of that, I think AI is a terrible thing that needs to be destroyed now.

  3. #3Mike L2024-03-17 09:00

    I guess I have mixed feelings about computers. They have certainly benefited us but I also think things like fake book and people always having their face looking at a phone hasn’t been a good thing. I think AI is pretty amazing but I’m afraid it will do more harm than good.

  4. #4funwithfuel2024-03-17 09:04

    Yet, here we are communicating across continents as easy as could be thanks to the super computer in my hand. Yes, they've made us all (as a society) lazy and disrespectful, but we also benefit tremendously from the shared knowledge of our communities. I don't think kids today could read a road map without a magic blue line dictating their path. I certainly don't believe they grasp the importance of mathematics. Language skills deteriorate daily and the lack of human interaction is atrocious. Since you brought it up, I believe computers are both a bane and boon to our existence.

  5. #5funwithfuel2024-03-17 09:10

    I'm quite fearful of what this AI business has in store for us. From the ability to interact linguistically to the images it creates. It's able to put together coherent arguments one way or the other based on how a question is presented. All that's left is to give it authority like the "little man behind the curtain " in the wizard of Oz.

  6. #6Old Doug2024-03-17 10:35

    Computers are the ultimate example of good and bad . I think they have made somethings better but I wish vehicles didn't depend on them so heavy but if I was younger I wouldn't think like this.

  7. #7ianjoub2024-03-17 11:29

    There is good and bad in everything. Computers are very helpful, but are used to destructive ends against us as well. Google maps DOES give house numbers/addresses! If you are not scrolled in enough, just click on the outline of a building.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2024-03-17 22:59

    I'm convinced that technology will eventually be the demise of mankind. They can now create video images of anyone doing anything they wish which is great for creating movies but someone who is very good at it could create an incriminating video against someone they have a beef with. Audio recordings are even more susceptible. I replaced my 2011 F350 with a 2021 F350. There's way too much automation in it for my liking! It took me two seasons of snowplowing to figure out how to defeat the traction control which cuts the engine to idle if it detects wheelspin. Imagine trying to push a load of snow in front of the truck with this going on. I have the XLT, one step up from base model and even so the truck takes control of most everything. In November a computer module for the entertainment went bad and I lost Bluetooth, music and navigation. The screen is dark except for one corner with the clock and outdoor temperature. Now that the time has changed I can't even set the clock correctly. The module has been on backorder since November! I really wish I could have purchased a new version of my 2011!!

  9. #9cfherrman2024-03-17 23:08

    You can, put a bunch of money into refurbing your 2011. I don't buy trucks newer than 07, i rather put lots of money into them and not have a giant screen for a radio

  10. #10Tugger22024-03-17 23:52

    The Genie is out of the bottle now . Theres a bit of good from it ,but a lot of wasted time and brainless behaviour out there now.Im counting on finishing my days on this stuff.Its not perfect ,but i can control it myself.Even my bank dosent want it back.

  11. #11Coaldust2024-03-18 00:47

    AI is scary stuff. It’s going to shortly make digital security pointless, including your ****** wallet. You won’t believe anything you view on a screen. For example: Is this an actual iPhone 13 portrait of Coaldust? Or, an AI generated image? Can’t tell, can you?

  12. #12cfherrman2024-03-18 07:41

    Soon I will deepfake a politician and then it'll be a mess

  13. #13Acoals2024-03-18 14:33

    That isn't Coaldust. Coaldust has a rabbit.

  14. #14chidog2024-03-18 15:36

    With AI ! At least no one can use a video or recording against you in any way now. And say you said this or that or did this or that. Always keep in mind what Coaldust said about digital and ****** etc. and is why we don't need it. cfherrman, we already have that.

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-03-18 21:00

    It would sure be nice if they had paper parts diagrams when you go to the dealer looking for parts.

  16. #1692U 34062024-03-18 21:09

    Definitely fake. There's a beagle instead of a bunny.

  17. #1792U 34062024-03-18 21:13

    I'm a Millennial. I grew up with computers but I'm finding I'm using them a lot less. I more or less use them only to run diagnostic programs. I will say its a lot nicer reading a PDF manual than a paper copy. Activate the search function and search for the connector you need instead of flipping between 15 pages of schematics.

  18. #18Welder Dave2024-03-18 21:36

    The eye level gear shift is missing.

  19. #19chidog2024-03-19 20:20

    Yeah but not all pdf's have that. Like some free online stuff. And I suppose using a free pdf player won't either. I can find things so much faster in a nice thick paper shop manual. Its scary and sad that a person would need to depend on a battery to use a shop manual, especially way out in the woods hundreds of miles from anything. And besides all the blue light from a display is bad for your eyes, just look it up.

  20. #2092U 34062024-03-19 21:31

    I have a love/hate relationship with shop manuals. Some are so poorly written they're almost not even worth looking at. I was trying to chase an electrical issue with a sensor last week and all I had was a paper manual. Found the sensor on the schematic and for one of the wires all it did was list a connector and pin number. What it didn't mention was on what page I would find the other half of the circuit. 10 minutes of flipping through the pages I finally found the rest of what I needed. Very inefficient.

  21. #21Coaldust2024-03-19 21:34

    I agree. The quality of written service info has degraded exponentially in the last 10 years. Almost worthless. Now, it’s all based on interactive flow charts. If the problem doesn’t fit the pre-determined narrative, too bad.

  22. #22Truck Shop2024-03-19 22:00

    Well all of the above is correct times have changed. When growing up in a rural environment it was common to see fathers on roof tops turning the 6'x6' tv antenna that looked a set of bed springs---all for the sake of their boomer children to set and become idiots watching the Munsters, Gilligan's Island or the Adams Family. Wonder how many dads fell of the roof. The good ol days.

  23. #2392U 34062024-03-19 22:14

    At least with the online portals manufacturers are using now incorrect or outdated information is corrected regularly. With a 30 year old paper manual there's no guarentee that the specs and procedures are even relevent anymore.

  24. #24Truck Shop2024-03-19 22:18

    Not with Cummins.

  25. #25funwithfuel2024-03-20 06:32

    While I agree that the 'novelty' of relying on a battery is not great, what's worse is internet reliant parts and service information. It doesn't do much good underground. If you don't have it saved or know it from memory, you're SOL.That said, I can't justify carrying volumes of service literature on the truck to have it ruined by moisture, pages stuck together, coffee, grease etc. A good laptop, maybe 3 pounds. That same information on paper, I'd be overweight. While it certainly is the devil in disguise, it's here to make things better. It's how we choose to use it that makes the difference.

  26. #26funwithfuel2024-03-20 06:33

    They're still using the same diag software from the 90s.... and it's slow!

  27. #27aighead2024-03-20 07:26

    I have a 2017 Civic Si, that has been tuned to increase the power a bit. I've read (on a computer) that sometimes that has caused the problem below and sometimes it it happens to untuned cars. I fire the car up and a couple times now all the dashboard warnings light up and every computer "helper" on the car errors out. Steering assist, traction control, ABS, Hill assist, charging system, etc, like literally every light on the dashboard. These warnings cycle through in a big warning string right in the middle of the dash, which is very distracting (and they come with a nice 'ding' every time too). Well, the first time it happened it freaked me out, even though the car continues to operate completely normally, no loss of power, no weird noises, anything. I took it to the dealer and they looked at it for a while and said "uh, we think your injectors need replaced" (turns out this is a common excuse and they don't really know why it happens) and though the car was tuned they supposedly replaced the injectors and gave the car back. It was fine for a couple years but all the lights lit back up a few days ago. Again, no noticeable issue with the car in any way (other than the warning lights apparently kick out the ability for any of these assists to work properly, so brake hold is a no go, even turning the car off was tricky sometimes) and I re-read up on it, to find that lots of people had the problem and going in through the tuning software and clearing the errors also cleared up any of the issues. All that to say that all the computery crap in our cars seems like nonsense and I'm really considering going back to the old times with a vehicle as well. If it weren't for poor gas mileage I'd buy an old beater truck and throw a new engine and all new brake and fuel lines in and gittyup.

  28. #28Old Doug2024-03-20 07:51

    I drive a 1982 Chevy pickup and have a 84 I am trying to fix up . I don't drive a lot of miles so I don't think the mileage is that big of a deal but on a car it does . I hope I can always own a pickup of about that vintage . I don't have one right now but I wish I did but I have had pretty good luck with the cars I have owned not a lot of problems with the computer side of them.

  29. #29CM19952024-03-20 09:01

    Love a searchable PDF over paper any day of the week. Some project manuals can have up to 2-300 pages of specifications from general conditions to site work. Being able to digitally search a phrase saves a ton of time bidding jobs.

  30. #30TomA2024-03-20 11:34

    When the year 2000 came I said I would never buy a new vehicle newer than that. Since then I have reduced that to 1995. With OBD II everything became too complex to provide reliability. I currently drive a '92 F250. It depends on a computer which worries me but I have had several of this era and they have proven reliable.